She is gone. She left behind her relatives and this world that she lived in for 56 years. She left with a badly injured body. She left unwillingly before fulfilling many of her wishes. Kong Fanrong's wishes were to help many, many people break free from the lies and deception [of the Jiang regime] so that they might live in a kinder and more beautiful world. Let us hope that her wishes will come true! Let us hope that her death can awaken the buried consciences of people in Shulan City.

A previously simple and normal woman was made extraordinary because she was a Falun Gong practitioner. Like tens of thousands of other Falun Gong practitioners, Kong Fanrong was labeled with a political slogan and subjected to unprecedented persecution. They even deprived her of her right to live. They forced her to abandon her home and to live the life of a recluse. She could not care for her child and parents. Police even kidnapped her husband and sent him to be brainwashed in a labor "re-education" camp. A happy family was thus violently torn apart.

On January 14, 2003, a group of deputies from the Anqing Road Police Station in Luyuan District, led by officers Liu, Shi Yongliang, Huang Huichen, and others, kidnapped Kong Fanrong from her residence in Changchun City, Jilin Province. They kicked and beat this woman who was old enough to be their mother. They coerced her to try to make her reveal other practitioners' names and whereabouts. They shocked her with electric batons after she refused. They kicked her head and body with their leather boots. Her head started bleeding immediately. They then tied her to a "tiger bench" [Practitioners are forced to sit on a small iron bench that is approximately 20 cm (6 inches) tall with their knees tied together. With their hands tied behind their backs or sometimes placed on their knees, they are forced to sit straight up and look straight ahead. They are not allowed to turn their heads, close their eyes, talk to anyone or move at all. Usually some hard objects are inserted underneath the practitioners' lower legs or ankles to make it harder for them to tolerate this abuse (see illustration on
http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2001/11/24/16156.html)]. An officer from the first squadron stepped on her toes, squashing and stomping on them forcefully. The policemen kicked her legs and thighs while cursing her profusely. When she did not consent to have her picture taken, the police poked her eyes and pulled her by the hair, throwing her against a wall until she finally lost consciousness. One of her legs was badly bruised and she had difficulty moving.

After one week, they transferred her to the Shulan Detention Center and illegally detained her there. No one knew how much more inhuman torture she suffered at the detention center, because shortly after her arrival, she was sent to Shulan City Hospital for emergency care on or about May 1, 2003. By then, her condition had deteriorated so much that she had to be given an oxygen mask. Yet this human being in critical condition and gasping for her last breath was still leg-shackled and heavily guarded.

On May 9, Shulan City Court went to pay a "visit" to Kong Fanrong at the hospital, attempting to illegally put her on trial. Yet, by that time, Kong Fanrong was already slipping into a coma and her life was fading away little by little. Still, the court officials did not care about her at all and ordered the hospital to certify that she was conscious but unable to speak. They said she would be put on trial as soon as she was well. Her relatives asked that they release her, yet the court declared that she wouldn't be released even if she died in the hospital! From their perspective a dying person was insignificant. Jiang's order against Falun Gong practitioners was, "Beat them to death without concern. Count the deaths as suicides. No need to investigate identity. Directly cremate the bodies."

At noon on May 11, 2003, Kong Fanrong died in the Shulan City Hospital because of grievous injustice.

Kong Fanrong's body was covered with large patches of bruises. When her relatives inquired about this, a police officer gave the following reply, "She was non-cooperative!" So "Non-cooperative!" In order for her to maintain her right to live according to the principle of Zhen, Shan, Ren (Truth, Compassion, Tolerance) and to be a good person, what need is there to ask her to cooperate? Were they asking her to cooperate with them to become thugs? Did non-cooperation invite torture and murder?

Two days before she died, her ailing 87 year-old mother-in-law went to the hospital to see her. She asked the police guards on duty to release her good daughter-in-law, yet nobody paid any attention to her.

After her wrongful death, Shulan City government officials sealed off all information about the incident and wouldn't allow her relatives to take pictures of her body. When they tried to go ahead and cremate Kong Fanrong's body, her relatives strongly protested. Then the government tried to settle with them in private but again her relatives refused.

The government then became afraid of their crimes being discovered. They sent in deputies to guard the crematorium and put Kong Fanrong's relatives under surveillance. On May 12 and 13 they went even further by arresting and detaining about a half-dozen Falun Gong practitioners whose names were on the "black list" at the local police station. Police threatened, "Every day we do not cremate Kong Fanrong's body, is another day we will hold those practitioners."

After the news about Kong Fanrong being tortured to death was publicized on the Internet, righteous people from overseas called departments of the Shulan City government to condemn this atrocity. Because of the international condemnation, Shulan City officials released the Falun Gong practitioners that were being held as hostages.

Another fellow practitioner has left us, yet the criminals are still at large. Is this the so-called "golden period in Chinese human rights?"