According to Suizhou City government statistics during June of 1999, there were several thousand people practicing Falun Gong locally. Over 90% of them had recovered from illnesses or experienced improved health after practicing Falun Gong. After the persecution began on July 20, 1999, there were still many Falun Gong practitioners who persisted in cultivation. Since then, these practitioners have consistently and diligently clarified the truth to people in peaceful and rational ways. The total number of practitioners who went to Beijing to appeal reached several hundred.

During the past three years, more than one hundred Dafa practitioners were detained by the Suizhou local "610 Office" [an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.]. Many of them had been detained multiple times, even up to five or six times. Two practitioners were tortured to death. One of them died of torture in prison, another went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution, and shortly after being released in critical condition, died in the hospital. Twenty-seven people were illegally sentenced to forced labor camps, with three of them being sentenced twice. To date, thirteen people are still being detained in prisons or forced labor camps. One person's situation is still unknown, after having been taken away by the police on July 20, 1999. One was fired from a government position because he went to Beijing to appeal. Police and work units have pressured family members of Falun Gong practitioners. Nine were pressured into divorce. Six were forced to leave home to avoid further persecution. To our knowledge, at least thirty-two people have been extorted of money, with the total amount being around 102,010 Yuan [Chinese currency, the monthly salary for an average Chinese urban worker is about 500 Yuan]. Two non-practitioners were persecuted and fined nearly ten thousand Yuan, and were also detained in prison. Thirteen people gave up cultivation unwillingly, due to extreme pressure.

More than three years have passed since the persecution began. Family members of practitioners are also under tremendous pressure, and their human rights are being violated as well. They and practitioners are anxious to see this disaster end soon.