Facts of the Persecution

1) The policemen at the Shibalihe Female Education Center in Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, brutally torture Falun Gong practitioners. The tortures included binding practitioners with ropes, hanging them up, tying them to iron benches, electric shocks, beating them with rubber batons, etc. The police said, "Based on orders from above, those who are beaten to death are to be counted as suicide." They use thin ropes to tightly bind their arms to the back of their shoulders. They then pull the ropes up or drag their arms. Practitioners often pass out due to the pain. Many elderly female practitioners in their 50s and 60s walk with their feet curved outward. They cannot move their arms. One practitioner who used to be a technician in an agriculture chemical school was hung up. After she was hung up, several male police pulled her legs and rotated them in circles. She fainted right away. Later she went on hunger strike to protest and was inhumanely tortured. Two months later she was sent to the Xinxiang Mental Hospital.

2) Liu Xingshi, a former chairman of the Taoxu Town government, and Bao Xitang, head of the Department of Organization in charge of the "610 Office" of Taoxu Town, Mengyin County, Shandong Province, are especially responsible for persecuting Falun Gong practitioners. Since July 20, 1999, they have abducted Falun Gong practitioners on a massive scale, including elderly people over 70 years old and even infants of less than a year old. The tortures include whipping practitioners with batons, beating practitioners with chairs until the chairs break, slapping practitioners on the face with the bottoms of shoes and kicking practitioners in their abdomens. During the cold winter they took off practitioners' coats, shoes and socks and ordered them to stand on the cold cement floor barefoot. They poured cold water in their pants and collars. They forced practitioners to walk on the streets and forced them to hand in 14,000 yuan as a fine. At each department in Taoxu Town there are accomplices. They go to practitioners' houses on a regular basis, breaking the locks, searching around, harassing practitioners, and even beating and kidnapping them. Some practitioners were forced to become homeless. They also kidnapped practitioners' family members to extort money.

3) At the Hewan Labor Education Center in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, there are 7 or 8 teams. Male Falun Gong practitioners are locked up in the 2nd team and female practitioners are locked up in the 6th team. The 2nd team practitioners are not allowed to sleep for a long time. The authorities want to eliminate the practitioners' firm belief in Dafa by intensive and long-hours of forced labor. Some practitioners cannot go to bed for a month. In October 2003, the Education Center held a brainwashing class. Practitioners who refused to give up their belief despite brainwashing were sent to the confinement cells on the 1st floor, where they were hung up with their hands handcuffed to the metal window bars for days. They were not allowed to use the toilet or sleep.

4) Ye Baofu, the former vice chairman of the Yunnan Province Linye Hospital, was forced to go from place to place with his wife and daughter Ye Mao to avoid further persecution. At around 11:00 pm on August 16, 2001, while the family was staying in their temporary residence, a dozen police broke into the room and took them away. Later they were extensively "interrogated for evidence" by the public security and police. The police only found 7 letters of appeal by Ye Baofu to the various security departments. The Public Security Bureau compiled the books of Falun Gong they found during the home invasion and the appeal letters as evidence and sentenced Ye Baofu and his wife to 2 years of "re-education through labor" while Ye Mao got a 1 year sentence. Currently Ye Baofu is detained at the 2nd Labor Education Center of Yunnan Province. His term was due on August 15, 2003, but the labor camp refused to release him. To protest, Ye Baofu went on hunger strike for over 20 days. He then developed symptoms of displaced lumbar vertebra, high-blood pressure, and deteriorated eyesight.