(Clearwisdom.net) Pu Qingjin suffered from many diseases. For a long time, he had to work in spite of his illnesses. In addition, he also had to take care of his wife Fu Chuanmei who suffered from even more illnesses. She had heart disease, high blood pressure and kidney disease, and she could not take care of herself. The family was drowning under the debt from all their medical expenses.

In October 1995, Pu Qingjin and Fu Chuanmei started to practice the Falun Dafa exercises and live by the universal principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, Tolerance. After practicing Falun Dafa they both became healthy and their lives became much happier.

  1. The Beginning of the Persecution

    The couple went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Dafa on July 20, 1999 after the regime declared a ban against Falun Dafa. After getting arrested in Beijing, they were sent back to their unit and detained for seven days. As a result, there was no one to look after Pu Qingjin's father, who is in his 70's, and their 13 year old child. After their release, they were again detained in the Gudong Working Second Team for two weeks. Their salaries and bonuses were all suspended, causing the family immediate and severe financial hardship. The security officers often came to harass the family, to try to control them from appealing in Beijing again. Thus, the family could not lead a normal life.


  2. Appealing in Beijing Again

    In order to let the public know about the benefits they received after learning Falun Dafa, and that Falun Dafa is very good, the couple went again to Beijing to appeal on September 23, 1999. They were taken back by the police to Xianhe Town and detained at the Hekougudao police station for 15 days. Because they both refused to give up their belief, Pu Qingjin was tortured while in detention in order to coerce him to renounce Falun Dafa. After the authorities finally released him, the husband, Pu Qingjin, was detained again for over a month by the Gudong No. 2 Working Team. He was detained in a small, dark, room, and the door was opened only once each day to give him food. Under the instigation of instructor Wang Lianjie, Pu Qingjin was kicked and beaten. He fell unconscious twice and was black and blue all over. After being beaten, he was threatened by the perpetrators, "Who beat you!? Who witnessed it!?" Even under such abuse, the couple still didn't yield and did not give up their belief in the Falun Dafa principles.

    Even after their release, they were still constantly monitored. The officers from their unit dispatched two hired men to watch them. Once Fu Chuanmei tried to take a bus to visit her relatives in Jinan City, but they didn't allow her to get on the bus. They dragged her off from the bus and claimed that she was about to go to Beijing, and illegally fined her 1500 Yuan*. Later they deducted more than 300.Yuan from Pu Qingjin's salary, claiming it as a "monitoring fee."

    From then on, whenever sensitive dates approached [public holidays like National Day, Chinese New Year and so on], Pu Qingjin's family became a special monitored target. During the Spring Festival, the couple was arbitrarily arrested without charge and put into a cell from New Year's Day to March under the excuse of "keeping them from making trouble." Their 13 year old child and elderly father were left home without any care during that period. Even on the day of the Spring Festival they were not allowed to go back home. While the couple was being detained and persecuted, the elderly father passed away on May 2001.


  3. Escalation of the Persecution

    On January 16, 2002, Pu Qingjin was again arrested. Detained in a cell in the Shengli Oil Field, Gudong Security Office, Pu Qingjin was force-fed after protesting his detainment by starting a hunger strike, He was also forced to write the "Three Statements"** sit on the tiger bench***, and hung up with manacles. The people responsible -- Fu Yuxin, Gai Jinchun, etc. -- sent him to Wang Village for three years of forced labor after seeing that he would not renounce his belief.

    Shortly after arresting Pu Qingjin, the police went to school to look for his son. They tricked the child and got his home key, and then searched the house. The house was ransacked and even the washing machine was dissembled. A computer was confiscated. Even worse, the police refused to allow the child to live in his own home and instead moved in themselves. After strong objections from the 13 year old child, the police finally moved out.

    The police also searched everywhere to arrest Fu Chuanmei. When they reached her mother's house, the mother fainted upon hearing their intent. Upon seeing the mother collapse, the officers left quickly without helping or assisting the mother.

    Fu Chuanmei was also sent to the Wang Village Labor Camp for three years. She was released due to her health condition after three months. Their kind neighbors took care of the child during those several months.

    The police arrested Fu Chuanmei on September 2. She was sent to the Shengli Oil Field Shengcai for 100 days of forced brainwashing. After she came back, she was evicted from the state owned housing by the Gudong Oil Extraction Factory management and not allowed to return home.

    Now, Pu Qingjin is still suffering brutal torture in Wang Village Male Labor Camp. He has been physically deformed due to the beating. His whole head is swollen and his facial features can hardly be recognized. He was often hung up with his feet off the ground for 24 hours. He often suffers brutal beatings, and was not allowed to sleep for more than a month. Even now, he is still not allowed to sleep before midnight and must get up at 5:00 o'clock in the morning. For not giving up his belief he is suffering this inhumane torture. Pu Qingjin is now extremely thin and cannot talk due to the torture he received.

    * Yuan is the Chinese currency. The average monthly salary of an urban worker in China is 500 Yuan.

** Three statements (also called guarantee or repentance statements) are documents coerced under extreme pressure, torture and brainwashing, designed by Chinese authorities to ensure that detained Falun Gong practitioners be appropriately brainwashed. The statements consist of a letter of repentance, a guarantee to never again practice Falun Gong, and a list containing names and addresses of all family, friends and acquaintances of the detainee who practices Falun Gong.

***Tiger Bench:ápractitioners are forced to sit on a small iron bench that is approximately 20 cm (6 inches) tall with their knees tied together. With their hands tied behind their backs or sometimes placed on their knees, they are forced to sit straight up and look straight ahead. They are not allowed to turn their heads, close their eyes, talk to anyone or move at all. Several inmates are assigned to watch over the practitioners and force themá to remain motionless while sitting on the bench. Usually some hard objects are inserted underneath the practitioners' lower legs or ankles to make it harder for them to tolerate this abuse (see illustration on <http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2001/11/24/16156.html>)