October 10, 2003

I obtained Dafa in September 1997, while in my second year of college. I ranked as one of the best students there since I always won the highest titles in College writing competitions. Because of my excellent writing and composition skills, I was selected to be the reporter for the college newspaper and producer of the college broadcasting station. The teachers and heads of the college thought very highly of me. I was also quite popular among my classmates because I was always generous and kind towards them. In the eyes of teachers and classmates, I was thought to have a brilliant future ahead.

After Jiang's regime launched the persecution against Falun Gong in July 1999, the college heads continuously talked with me. They asked me to write a "guarantee statement,"* to go through the motions for my personal good. Like other classmates practicing Falun Gong, I persevered in telling people the facts and refused to write any guarantee statement. As a result, the college monitored me for one month. After that, the six of us were expelled from the college and I was sent home after being released from a detention center.

My way of life was lost from that point on. I could not find a job, and my ID card was taken away. For the time being my family moved to another place. Knowing that I was a Falun Gong practitioner, the local police station forced me to move out from my rented house. In addition, I was mentally attacked. From being a person who was admired, I was suddenly seen as an object of ridicule, simply for deciding to continue my cultivation practitioner in Falun Dafa, which teaches me to be good and benevolent!

This left only one way for me to resist the persecution and clarify the facts to the public about the persecution against Falun Dafa. In March 2001, I went to my rural village hometown to distribute truth-clarification materials and clarify the truth about the persecution. For this I was abducted and cruelly beaten by guards at the local police station. Led by Bian, the head of the Politics and Security Section, approximately six men fastened me to a special torture rack and cruelly beat me and shouted abusively at me. They violently attacked my head, hands, and neck with an electric prod and brutally beat me with a wooden stick. It was very cold at the time, but even so, they poured cold water on me. One day later, to extort the sources of the truth-clarification materials out of me, they moved me out of the detention center to torture me. They also threatened to douse me in gasoline and light me on fire, threatening to fabricate a charge against Falun Gong by saying that I committed a self-immolation.

Ten days later, I was moved to the police department in my residential area for further interrogation. The prison guard there mocked me because my eyesight had become impaired due to the intense mental pressure. In the end they sentenced me to two years of forced-labor education. In the labor camp, I still refused to write a guarantee statement renouncing my belief. For this I was forced to do the most foul work, such as cleaning the sewer, and the most exhausting labor, such as digging ditches, making floor boards, and constructing buildings. I had never before had heavy labor experience as such, and was exhausted, dirty, and gaunt. Prison guards also routinely beat me because of my perseverance in cultivation. A section head, who nominated himself, "one of the four big evils in the labor camp," beat me repeatedly. During that time, the guards tortured dozens of determined Falun Gong practitioners. One of the Falun Gong practitioners was tortured to death. To deceive the public, the head of the detention center hypocritically distributed candy among us.

Eight months later, together with other Falun Gong practitioners, I was transferred to the Jiutai Labor Camp of Jilin province, where we suffered even more inhuman torture.

In March 2002, an order came from the head of the Jiutai Labor Camp: "Transform them with force." The sounds of electric prods, the screaming of tortured practitioners in the prison offices--since then, these did not stop for even one instant. The ground was splashed with blood. I will never forget the feelings of that time.

In those days I was frequently electrically shocked, beaten, and deprived of sleep. One April noon, a prison guard, Feng Wei, brought me to his office and asked if I would dissociate Falun Gong. He gave me 10 minutes to make a decision, but I said no. He then ordered two men to carry me into a small room and take off my clothes. While a gang of six other people were trampling on me, the policeman Tang Bo, as if he were mad, began a special torture. He used a plastic pipe with the end section cut into a cross shape thus creating a crude drill bit and began drilling the sharp edge into my armpits and muscle below my calf so forcefully that the muscle was twisted until it snapped. The suffering was so much that I almost suffocated and couldn't help screaming loudly. They then stuffed my mouth with a dirty cloth to prevent me from screaming. According to the prisoner who was holding my head down, he became very frightened at the time because he saw that my eyes were rolling back, displaying only the white part which he thought indicated I was close to death. Even under such circumstances, the policeman, Feng, still spoke to the other one: "Shall we drill his muscles with a chopstick?" The policeman said, "No, it will stick into the flesh." So they continued to drill into my muscles while simultaneously shocking my sensitive body parts [mostly likely the genitals] with an electric prod. The perpetrators were soaked with sweat while doing so even after taking turns twice.

After living through this brutal torture, I was unable to walk normally. In order to walk, I had to lift my arms and walk after carefully separating my legs so they would not touch. When the prison doctors gave me medical treatment, they could see a gaping hole in my left armpit and a hole in my left leg with the bones exposed from the drilling torture. The scar from the torture has not yet healed, even now.

* "Guarantee Statement" is a statement to declare that he or she is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.