Latest News from China - 06/25/2002
- [Longkou City, Shandong Province] Authorities Plan on a New Round of Persecution
- [China] Chinese Authorities Close Down Internet Cafés - Citing the Fire Incident at a Beijing Internet Cafe as an Excuse
- [Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province] Police at the No. 2 Detention Center in Mudanjiang City Beat Falun Dafa Practitioners Without Restraint
- [Xiangfan City, Hubei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Abducted for Protesting Peacefully at Her Own Home Gets Out of Prison after Hunger Strike
- [Bozhou City, Anhui Province] Randomly Arrested People Are Tortured - the Persecution of Falun Gong Victimizes Everyday People
- [Tianjin Municipality] Police at the Shuangkou Forced Labor Camp Instigate Inmates to Beat Falun Dafa Practitioners
- [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Staff at the Etouwan Brainwashing Class in Qiaokou District Claim to "Do Whatever They Can"
- [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Police Conduct Door-to-Door Screening of Tenants in Rented Residences in Guanshan Area
1. [Longkou City, Shandong Province] Authorities Plan on a New Round of Persecution
Since June 19, authorities in Longkou City, Shandong Province have begun a door-to-door registration of Falun Dafa practitioners according to previously registered name lists. A new round of persecution is being planned.
2. [China] Chinese Authorities Close Down Internet Cafés - Citing the Fire Incident at a Beijing Internet Café as an Excuse
At present, Internet cafes have been temporarily closed down in many regions. Starting June 18, Internet cafés in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province were all sealed. The temporary shutdown has now entered the seventh day, and delivering information over the Internet at present has become quite difficult.
A while back there was an airplane crash in Dalian City, Liaoning Province. Why doesn't the government stop all planes from taking off? Clearly, citing the fire incident in a Beijing Internet café to put all Internet cafés in several regions out of business is merely an excuse. All practitioners should recognize that this is another form of interference. We call upon fellow practitioners to send forth righteous thoughts to break down this information blockade.
3. [Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province] Police at the No. 2 Detention Center in Mudanjiang City Beat Falun Dafa Practitioners Without Restraint
Recently Liu Jinqun, the deputy chief of the No. 2 Detention Center in Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province has led Hou Lijun and other guards to brutally beat Falun Dafa practitioners. They have viciously beaten and kicked practitioners, and stepped on the practitioners' heads and necks. The female guard Yu Derong has cursed Falun Dafa practitioners, and then struck practitioners on the shoulders and the back with heavy shackles to vent her anger. Falun Dafa practitioner An Fanglun had both her wrists and ankles shackled. The guard then directed several inmates to push An Fanglun onto the ground and beat him severely. Hou Lijun exclaimed, "You are not allowed to practice Falun Gong exercises. Otherwise, we will beat you up. I don't dare to beat female practitioners to death, but I'm ready to beat to death any male practitioners!"
4. [Xiangfan City, Hubei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Abducted for Protesting Peacefully at Her Own Home Gets Out of Prison after Hunger Strike
Falun Dafa practitioner Liu Weishan is an employee of Hanjiang Machinery Factory in Xiangfan City, Hubei Province. Her firm belief in Falun Dafa has infuriated the police at the local police station, who have constantly harassed her. In April 2002, police from Hanjiang Police Station came to her home to forcibly take Falun Dafa books. In May 2002, Liu Weishan protested at the doorstep of her own home against the unjust actions of the police by beginning a hunger strike, abstaining from both food and water. Thirteen days later, Liu Weishan resumed taking food and water and was recovering at home. Several days later, the Prosecuting Council of Xiangfan City issued a warrant and she was forcibly placed under arrest.
Eyewitnesses said that Liu Weishan was very weak and was carried into the police vehicle by several police officers. Liu resolutely refused to cooperate with the evil at the detention center, and went on a hunger strike abstaining from food and water to protest against the unjust custody. She was sent to the emergency room in the No. 1 Hospital in Xiangfan City for half a month of force-feeding. Although she was on the verge of death, her belief in Falun Dafa was as strong as ever. The police worried about taking responsibility, and had to send her home unconditionally on June 14.
5. [Bozhou City, Anhui Province] Randomly Arrested People Are Tortured - the Persecution of Falun Gong Victimizes Everyday People
Following instructions from the "610 Office" [an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems], the police in Bozhou City in Anhui Province have escalated their arrests of Falun Dafa practitioners since March this year. The police have put anyone who looks like a practitioner under arrest. Jiaoling Police Station arrested Wang, who is in his fifties, but didn't get any result after interrogation. The police thought that they had never heard of Wang practicing Falun Gong before, and so he must be someone who is "under deep cover." Wang was then sent to the Qiliqiao Detention Center for torture and interrogation to coerce a confession. After failing to get the confession they wanted to hear, the police beat him without restraint. Wang was injured all over his body, and he kept yelling and cursing at the police. The police knew that Falun Dafa practitioners never even say a harsh word against others, yet they continued torturing him. Wang didn't stop cursing until he almost lost consciousness and was too weak to say anything. The police still didn't give up, and they handcuffed and shackled Wang [handcuffing is another form of torture used frequently by the police]. It wasn't until Wang's family members came to the detention center that the police were convinced that Wang was not a Falun Gong practitioner.
Wang's family members saw that Wang was disoriented and there were injuries all over his body. They were so angry that they filed a complaint against the police station and the detention center. The leaders of the police department later learned that Wang's son is a member of the railroad police force and they started worrying about the consequences of their actions. They didn't want this case to spin out of control, so, in exchange for the promise of settling in private with Wang's family, they arranged for medical treatment for Wang and apologized. The news that the police were randomly arresting and brutally torturing innocent people spread overnight through the entire police force and among the public. A senior police officer said, "We have now become a tool wearing a human mask and possessing no human conscience." Through this incident, kindhearted people have seen even more clearly the evil nature of Jiang's political group.
6. [Tianjin Municipality] Police at the Shuangkou Forced Labor Camp Instigate Inmates to Beat Falun Dafa Practitioners
There are five large teams in the Shuangkou Forced Labor Camp in Tianjin. Large Teams 1, 3, 4, and 5 all have Falun Dafa practitioners in illegal custody. Among these teams, the No. 1 Large Team is the most vicious. The police often instigate inmates to beat Falun Dafa practitioners brutally. Practitioners who have just arrived at the team will have to take the beating from police and other inmates. This is called "taking the turns." Practitioners are forced to bend down so their buttocks can be hit by planks or clubs, until some practitioners agree to "quit practicing." Other tortures, for example with electric batons, are also deployed frequently.
In the forced labor camp, the police often forced practitioners to stay up all night to do slave labor. The No. 3 and No. 5 Large Teams have kept tight control of any leakage of information, and details in those two teams are not yet available.
The forced labor camp can illegally extend the terms for Falun Dafa practitioners at its discretion without going through any legal procedure, or notifying the work units or family members.
7. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Staff at Etouwan Brainwashing Class in Qiaokou District Claim to "Do Whatever They Can"
The members of the Etouwan Brainwashing Class in Qiaokou District in Wuhan City, Hubei Province have claimed they "do whatever they can" to force Falun Gong practitioners to give up Dafa. Authorities have deployed so-called "crowd tactics," "fatigue tactics," and "physical penalty" and other tortures in order to break the strong will of Falun Dafa practitioners. The police and collaborators [former practitioners who now cooperate with the police in persecuting practitioners due to the extreme pressure and brainwashing they have endured] often attack individual practitioners in a ratio of three to one in order to deprive the practitioners of sleep. Some Falun Dafa practitioners have been forced to stand for six days straight.
8. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Police Conduct Door-to-Door Screening of Tenants in Rented Residence in Guanshan Area
Recently, the police in Wuhan have conducted a door-to-door search and screening of tenants in rented residence in Guanshan and neighboring areas. At the same time, surveillance and tailing were carried out against Falun Gong practitioners in these areas.