Oct.12, 2002

(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Gong practitioners are being tortured by guards and officers in the Panjin Forced Labor Camp in Liaoning Province. So far, at least one Falun Gong practitioner was tortured to death, while another one was abused to the point of mental collapse.

Officers active in abusing Falun Gong practitioners include:

Zhang Shoujiang, deputy director, the lead person in abusing Falun Gong practitioners;

Huang Jiukuan, the educational section chief;

Guan Baomin, the management section chief;

Tang Xiaobiao, head of the monitoring brigade;

Yu Xiuyan, assistant chief of the heath section, former female group leader;

Liu Jing, assistant chief of the educational section, former female group assistant leader;

Liu Yongbing, head of the first brigade;

Liu Minghua, assistant head of the first brigade;

Jia Jinliang, assistant head of the second brigade;

Liu Zhe, police section chief;

Zhang Yunlong, member of the police section;

Liu Dahan, a clerk of the management section, former policeman in the guarding and monitoring brigade;

Cheng Changli, a policeman of the guarding and monitoring brigade;

Cai Li (female), a policewoman at the second brigade, former female group policewoman.

Wang Yan, a clerk in the educational section, former female group policewoman;

Qi Xia, a clerk in the clinic, former female group policewoman;

Huang Liang, a clerk in the educational section, former female group policewoman;

Zhao Hongyan, a clerk in the educational section, former female group policewoman;

Zhang Zhen, resident supervisor from the local procurator.

In the Panjin Forced Labor Camp Falun Gong practitioners are tortured in three steps. The first step is mental abuse, which is mainly threatening. The second step is to torture each Falun Gong practitioner separately. The third step is to torture Falun Gong practitioners together in groups with the intention to destroy their will. In the policemen's words: "This is to change you into a half-human half-ghost being."

As soon as we were detained in the camp the police started forcefully brainwashing us. Threatening and cursing are daily occurrences. Zhang Shoujiang and other policemen said, "If you will not be transformed you will not be released even if the term has come to an end...You will stay here until you die! There is no way out. You will be here forever." Or they'll threaten, "If you are still not transformed, you will be sent to a forced labor camp." Zhang Shoujiang was a leader in slandering Dafa, and misinterpreted the contents of Zhuan Falun to defame Dafa. Policemen made several interrogations, some in the middle of the night, and made the interrogations look like a preparation for sentences in order to intimidate us. After the mental pressure and abuse, the physical torture and mistreatments followed.

Zhang Yiliang was the assistant chief engineer of the offshore division of Liaohe Oil Field Company. His wife Meng Jian went to Beijing to appeal and was illegally detained for forced brainwashing. In August 2000, Zhang Shouyi asked the "610 Office" [a bureau specifically created by the Chinese government to persecute Falun Gong. It has absolute power over each level of administration in the Party, as well as over the political and judiciary branches] in the oil field to send Zhang Yiliang to the Forced Labor Camp for no reason. As soon as Zhang came to the second brigade, Jia Jinliang forced Zhang Yiliang and another person to carry big buckets with a pole, each weighing close to 150 kilograms. This is the toughest work to do. Policeman hoped to torture Zhang Yiliang and force him to give up in this way, they didn't allow anyone to substitute for him. Zhang Yiliang persisted for seven days and was exhausted to the point that he was unable to stand up. The tough work ceased after Zhang Yiliang strongly protested to Jia Jinliang.

In February 2001, it was very cold and the ground was covered with heavy snow. Jia Jinliang secretly coerced people to beat Gao Dong (from Liaohe Oil Field Truck Company) and Ye Ximin (from Xian, Dakui). Gao Dong and Ye Ximin were striped down to their underwear and forced down onto the snow-covered ground where they were beaten with shovels. Then they were insulted by being forced to stand in the snow outdoors with a spade tied around their necks. Zhang Shoujiang ordered Jia Jinliang to force Hu Yongkuan to give up Falun Gong. Jia then ordered Li Chaohui to focus on Hu as well. Hu was not allowed any sleep for three days and nights under continuous pressure. Later Hu declared he would continue practicing Falun Gong. Zhang Shoujiang then threatened him, "If our camp cannot transform you, you'll be sent to other places for further transformation." Feng Baojia from Rongxin, Dakui changed his mind back and forth under pressure. In order to torture him, Policemen Liu Yongbing and Liu Minhua each hit him with electric batons dozens of times. They would also hang him onto the cell door or force him to stand in the corridor for a whole night and then to work for a whole day.

Cui Zhongxin is a 66-year-old man. He was detained only because he went to Beijing for a visit. His health is not good, but they still forced him to work the same as others. In the chilly winter of 2000, he was so weak that he couldn't even climb up and down from a truck but was still forced to work. He would cough for half the night or even the whole night. Policemen used this method to force him to give up Falun Gong. Xiao Zhijun refused to wear a jail uniform or to be brainwashed, so Liu Minhua instigated Chai (a well known ruffian) to beat him up. One time Xiao was beaten so badly that he fainted in the dining hall.

Back then, the Panjin Forced Labor Camp separated Falun Gong practitioners into four units: the first brigade, the second brigade, the monitoring brigade and the female brigade. According to Zhang Shoujiang's order, Falun Gong practitioners in the monitoring brigade were closely monitored. From January to April 2001, Falun Gong practitioners were forced to sit on a small stool outside for the whole day. Two guards monitored each one. Meals and restroom times were scheduled, no moving or breaks were allowed. All their rights were denied. If policemen found that anyone could not endure the suffering, they would try to force them to give up the practice of Falun Gong. The long term sitting without good blood circulation or sunshine was detrimental to the practitioners' well being. It caused Falun Gong practitioners to have difficulty walking. The scabies and the itching were hard to bear since even simple movement was prohibited.

The policewomen are just as cruel. Female Dafa practitioners Lu Shuxuan (from Liaohe Oil Field Machinery Factory), 57 years old, and Li Shujuan (from Cicai, Liaohe), also in her fifties, were hung up in a closed cell for two hours by Zhou (an assistant director of the camp) because they refused to sing songs meant to slander Dafa. Since Dafa practitioners didn't give up, policewomen frequently found excuses to handcuff them. The police cuffed one hand to a cell window frame and the other hand to a radiator, so one had to bend down constantly. From 4 a.m. to midnight, one might be cuffed in this way for five days and fed with a small amount of food each day. Li Shujuan was bound this way for half a month. Lu Shuxuan was hung up until one of her hands atrophied. Policewoman Yu Xiuyan directed this kind of torture. Liu Jin, Wang Yan and Cai Li took part in it. Dafa practitioners were also forced to recite the cell rules. Li Shujuan and others failed to recite the cell rules during a test, and were consequently deprived of sleep for two days and nights.

Once the police abused Li Shujuan individually. One of her hands was cuffed to a water pipe and the other one to a radiator, from 4 a.m. until midnight. She was abused in this way for more than ten days.

Dafa practitioner Teng Lianxiang, female, 49 years old, from Panjin City, was illegally sentenced to one year of forced labor for not giving up the practice of Falun Gong. She was sent to the Panjin Forced Labor Camp on April 18, 2001. The same evening, she was illegally interrogated, policemen tried to force her to give up the practice of Falun Gong. Policemen and women Zhang Shoujiang, Zhou Lai, Huang Jiukuan, Guan Baomin, Liu Minhua, Yu Xiuyan and Huangliang handcuffed her to a steel door outside of the policewomen's office facing the north wind. She was not allowed to wear a jacket. April in Northeast China is still very cold. Teng Lianxiang, left directly in the wind, was freezing. She was freed only after she had fainted at midnight, but the abuse was not over. The second day she was hung up again on a window frame of the female cell No. 5 for two and half a days. In the afternoon of May 20, 2001,Yu Xiuyan and Liu Jin brought her to a police office and forced her to squat down on the floor until midnight. From May 22 to May 25, she was forced to squat down for 24 hours a day without sleep.