I am a Dafa practitioner from Haiyang City, Shandong Province. I was arrested at Tiananmen Square on November 5, 2000, for going to Beijing to appeal for Dafa, and was later escorted by the police to the Haiyang Detention Center. Fifteen days later, the Haiyang Political and Legal Committee sent me to the "Falun Gong Transformation Class".

While in the "Class," my mother passed away, so my boyfriend asked the cadres at the Center if I could be released. A leader named Ren said: "Your mother passed away. For the cause of humanitarianism, we'll let you go home and see her; however, we'll have to ask for permission from the higher officials." The next day, Ren said: "Without signing a written guarantee [not to appeal or practice Falun Gong], or without any voucher, we can't let you go. What if you go to Beijing to appeal again?" Meanwhile, my mother's body had remained at home for two days. Since my family couldn't see me, they had to have my mother's body cremated.

After my mother's ashes were buried, my elder brother and sister-in-law came to the "Class" crying, with news that our father was sick as well. They insisted that I should come home and see him. The leader at the Committee said I could not go without signing a written guarantee. Finally, I wrote: "Because of the death of my mother, and the sickness of my father, please let me go home for a while." They said it was not good enough, but because of the repeated requests from my family, they let me go. Upon seeing me, choking with sobs, my father said: "Your mother had been looking for you before she passed away." At that time, my father asked my mother: "Are you looking for our youngest daughter? She hasn't come home." Tears were rolling down my mother's cheeks. She couldn't breathe any more, and soon left this world with regret.

The second day after I came home, Ren, the leader from the Political and Legal Committee, called several times to order me back to the Class for further "transformation." Chaperoned by my father and other relatives, I returned to the Class. Ren said that if I still refused to make a written statement of repentance, I would have to stay for further "transformation." My father also tried to force me to write a repentance statement. He had high blood pressure and fainted several times. After we went home, the Committee still wouldn't let us rest. Their leader wanted to talk to me. Again, chaperoned by my family members, I came back to the Class. Once we arrived, we realized that instead of talking, what they really wanted was to fine me 1000 Yuan [about US$120, average monthly wage in China is about $60]; otherwise I would remain in custody. My family gathered 1000 Yuan and gave it to them, which at last put an end to their harassment. Such is the "humanitarianism" of the Political and Legal Committee of Haiyang City, Shandong Province.

Dafa Practitioner from Shandong Province

Feb. 2001