At around 6:00 p.m. on September 29, 2001, Dafa practitioner Zhou Yong, who lived in the Seamless Tube Plant employee residential area of Shiling Xiaoqu, an eastern suburb of Chengdu, Sichuan Province, fell from his sixth floor apartment and died.

About one hour before the incident, another Dafa practitioner talked to Zhou Yong and he was perfectly fine. Later an insider revealed that it was around this time that the policemen went upstairs to ransack Zhou's apartment and tried to take Zhou Yong downstairs to the police car. It is unknown what happened next that led to the tragic fall. The leaders of the Chengdu City Factory of Air Compression Machinery, where Zhou Yong worked, required the staff to tell outsiders that Zhou Yong died of natural causes, and disallowed any memorial service or obituary notice for Zhou's death. Zhou's body was cremated in a hurry the following day.

Zhou Yong, 34 years old, graduated from Hefei Engineering Institute in 1990. He was an engineer at the Chengdu City Factory of Air Compression Machinery. He began to practice Falun Gong in December 1995 and was a local coordinator of the practice site at Seamless Tube Plant. He was a diligent worker and a technical leader at work. After July 20th, 1999, Zhou Yong was frequently called in for interrogation by the local police station, the Street Residence Committee and different departments of the factory where he worked. Around June or July of this year, Zhou Yong was laid off. Many co-workers in the factory thought that the XX party's persecution (against Falun Gong practitioners) was too excessive. After being laid off, Zhou Yong went to Tiananmen Square to rectify the Fa. Wicked police beat him until he could not move and threw him outside. Later, Zhou Yong went back to his home on his own.

Several other young engineers at the Chengdu City Factory of Air Compression Machinery, such as Jiang Yunhong and Chen Yingjun, also suffered constant persecution for practicing Falun Dafa. Jiang Yunhong was illegally sent to labor camp for one year because he went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in December 1999. In the labor camp, he was tortured until near death several times. After his release from labor camp, the factory fired him, the house that he paid for was confiscated with no compensation, and the local police station refused to restore his residence status. Jiang Yunhong was illegally arrested again on January 31st, 2001 in an Internet cafe. After civil and criminal detention, he was formally arrested. At the end of June, he was sent to the Xinhua labor camp at Mianyang City in Sichuan Province. He went a on hunger strike to protest against the illegal imprisonment as soon as he arrived at the labor camp. In October, he was released on bail for medical treatment. Dafa practitioner Chen Yingjun was also unlawfully detained many times because he appealed for Falun Gong. At the end of September, Chen and another Dafa practitioner Zhang Xiaoying were illegally arrested again.

Written on November 9, 2001