33. Gong Baohua, female, 35, Liudian Village, Pinggu County, Beijing

On June 17, 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was intercepted by police at the Dongzhimen Bus Station, along with seven other Falun Gong practitioners. After taken back to the local police station, six of them were brutally beaten by police. Among them, Gong suffered the most. Medical examination in the Yukou Clinic afterwards showed that the bridge of her nose was broken. Gong's family members and local villagers requested the police to allow her to go home for recovery. In order to cover up the brutality, the police sent Gong and the other practitioners to the county detention center instead. To defend their rights, Gong and other practitioners went on a hunger strike, which were the only means available.

Around 8pm of June 25, 2000, the guards force-fed Gong through the nose, despite the fact that her nose was injured. After coming back to the cell, Gong's face looked pale. She said repeatedly that her chest felt numb and she suspected that the guards might have falsely inserted the feeding tube into her trachea during the force-feeding. About 10 minutes later, she suddenly lost consciousness. Her inmates then called the guards, but nobody answered. After a while when Gong regained her consciousness, the guards finally came over and moved Gong out of the cell for emergency treatment. She was sent back on the morning of June 26, 2000. Because her health condition looked very bad, her inmates asked the guards many times to give her a medical examination. She was then called out, and came back in the afternoon. But there was no sign of improvement in her health that night. On the morning of June 27, 2000, the inmates urged the guards to give her another medical checkup, because her health kept deteriorating. Around 10am, the detention center clinicians agreed to send Gong to the hospital. Around 9pm that evening, Gong Baohua was announced dead in the hospital.

32. Zhang Yuzhen, female, 46, Hegang City, Heilongjiang Province

At the beginning of February, the local police detained her in Lulinshan Detention Center of Hegang City, in order to prevent her from going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. In April, she was transferred to the First Detention Center of Hegang City. Zheng once got on a hunger strike for five days, and she was beaten many times while in custody. She was released at the beginning of May. Because she suffered bad health due to long-term mistreatment in detention centers, she had to stay in bed after she was released. She died on June 20, 2000.

31. Sun Shuqin, female, 58, Hegang City, Heilongjiang Province

In January, she and another practitioner whose surname was Shang went to the Beijing Public Security Ministry to appeal for Falun Gong. On January 24, 2000, she was sent to the Hegang Detention Center. On February 14, 2000, she was transferred to the Yingbei County Jail. She went on a hunger strike for four days in April. She died suddenly in the Yingbei County Jail on April 27, 2000.

30. An Xiukun, female, 49, Henghui City, Hebei Province

An was a teacher in the Zhongxin Street Elementary School of Hengshui City. An was removed from her post, and fined 2,800 Yuan for practicing Falun Gong. Because of the unfair treatments against her, An went to the Beijing Public Security Ministry to appeal on May 21, 2000. She was escorted back and detained in the Education Committee Guest House. On May 24, An was given 15 days of administrative detention. An refused to sign the paperwork for her detention, and declared that she would reserve her right to appeal. Afterwards, she was sent to the Lubei Administrative Detention Center. On May 25, the second day of her detention, An was cuffed with a special type of handcuff nicknamed "bull's nose," for refusing to copy the rules of the detention center. To protest the ill treatments against her, An began a hunger strike. On June 6, 2000, An lost consciousness. She was unable to get up, and she suffered incontinence of feces and urine. The detention center gave her an emergency infusion, which had no effect. At 10pm, An was sent to the County Hospital. At 7:30am of June 11, 2000, An left this world.

29. Wang Peisheng, male, 68, Weifang City, Shandong Province

Wang was a retired official of Weifang Hardware Store. Wang started to practice Falun Gong in 1995, and was a former contact person of the Falun Gong assistance center in Weifang. He had been under surveillance since July 20, 1999. In March 2000, he was detained for writing to the National People's Congress about Falun Gong issues. While in custody, he was detained in the hot and humid cell 24 hours a day, and sometimes, he was forced to do hard labor. At 2am on July 12, 2000, he left this world. His wife did not receive the notice of his death until 1pm that afternoon. More surprisingly, in order to cover up the truth, the police forced his family to have his body cremated before the cause of his death was identified.

28. Li Zaiji, male, 44, Chuanying District, Jilin City

Li was sentenced to one year of forced labor in October of 1999 for appealing for Falun Gong. On July 7, 2000, the police department of Jilin City told Li's family members to go to the hospital to take care of him. When Li's mother got to the hospital, Li was already dead. Li's body was full of wounds, with one eye open and one closed. At 9am on July 14, Li's body was cremated under the close monitoring of more than 200 police officers.

27. Li Jianbin, male, 23, Shanghai

He was illegally detained for his practice of Falun Gong, and was forced to attend the "transformation class" held in East China University of Science and Technology. On May 13, 2000, when trying to escape from the persecution of the police and to participate in the activities of celebrating "World Falun Dafa Day", he died from falling out of a fifth story window.

26. Wang Xingtian, male, 44, Dayang Village, Ningjin County, Hebei Province

He was beaten to death by the county government of Dayang Village on March 25, 2000, for refusing to recant his belief in Falun Gong.

On February 21, 2000, the Dayang Village government illegally detained Wang Xingtian and 11 other Falun Gong practitioners in the "Law Education Center," in order to prevent them from going to Beijing to appeal. After 33 days of detention, they were transferred to the Beiquanli Village government, where they were not allowed food or water.

While in custody, each practitioner was demanded to pay a deposit of 1000 Yuan plus a fine of 1000 Yuan. The practitioners were also required to write a pledge to recant. Wang firmly refused to do this.

On the noon of March 25, Wang's friends came to visit him and suggested he write the pledge and pay the money. But Wang refused to do that. Around 2-3 o'clock that day, the village government ordered some thugs to beat Wang using electric batons, police batons, etc., which left many wounds on Wang's body. A fatal wound was a hole on the back of his head. Only after Wang's family members wrote the pledge for him and paid the money, were they allowed to take Wang home. At that time, Wang already lost his consciousness, and he died at 5pm.

25. Miu Qun, female, age unknown, Qu County, Dazhou City, Sichuan Province

Miu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong this January. She was taken back by local police and detained in the local detention center. While in custody, she went on a hunger strike to defend her right to practice Falun Gong. The police force-fed her through the nose with a plastic tube. During the process of force-feeding, the police inserted the tube into her lung by mistake. She died shortly after.

24. Su gang, male, 32, Zibo City of Shangdong Province

Su was a software engineer of Qilu Petrochemical Company. On May 23, 2000, the security officers in his workplace sent him to the Changle Mental Hospital without notifying his family members. Su was detained in the mental hospital for nine days, and was overdosed with forced injections everyday. Upon learning that Mr. Su was locked in a mental hospital, Su's uncle went on a hunger strike, and as a result, Mr. Su was released on May 31, 2000. When Mr. Su got home, he looked slow, stiff, and extremely weak. He died on the morning of June 10, 2000.

23. Tian Shiqiang, male, age unknown, Lanjiang Town, Suining City, Sichuan Province

Tian went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong on June 5, 2000, carrying with him his 2-year-old child. On June 7, his family members got a notice from Beijing that Mr. Tian Shiqiang had died. The police had his body cremated immediately after his death.

22. Yin Shuyun, female, 46, Changchun City, Jilin Province

During the annual session of National People's Congress, Yin went to Beijing to petition to the government to stop the persecution against Falun Gong. After she was taken back from Beijing, one side of her face was black and blue due to severe beating. She died in the Heizuizi Labor Camp where she was detained.

21. Yao Baorong, female, 52, Anning District, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province

Yao was arrested on May 17, 2000, while reading Falun Gong books at home. Yao died on the afternoon of May 19, 2000. The cause of her death was unclear. It was said she died after falling from the fifth floor of a local police station building. Around 2:50am of May 23, the police had Yao's body cremated secretly. To block the news, the police arrested 20 practitioners who knew about Yao's death.

20. Mei Yulan, female, 44, Chaoyang District, Beijing

On May 13, 2000, Mei was arrested while practicing Falun Gong exercises outside her house. She went on a hunger strike to defend her rights. On May 17, 2000, three days into her hunger strike, she was force-fed by an inmate who had no medical skills at all. Her screaming during the force-feeding suggested that she was in extreme pain. After she returned to the cell, she had a headache, and started to vomit blood that night. The guard whose surname was Sun refused to send her for emergency treatment, and said, "Never mind, she won't die. I will take the responsibility if anything happens." She died on May 23, 2000. Five practitioners who knew about her death were sent to the detention center on May 26.

19. Wang Xiuying, female, 45, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province

On May 13, 2000, Wang was arrested when practicing Falun Gong on Tiananmen Square. She was detained in the Jiaomen Detention Center of Chongwen District. After 3 days of hunger strike, four men pushed her to the ground and brutally force-fed her through the nose. She was force-fed with high-density salt water five times within nine days. On May 22, 2000, she lost consciousness and died at 7pm that day.

18. Zhou Zhichang, male, 45, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province

In September 1999, Zhou went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. During the eight months in the detention center, he was shackled most of the time. On the morning of May 6, 2000, the ninth day of his hunger strike, he was taken to the Shuangcheng Hospital by the guards. The examination showed him in good health. On the same afternoon when he was again sent to the hospital, his pupils were dilated and he passed away.

Obviously, Zhou did not die of natural causes. His face indicated extreme pain. His eyes were wide open, so was his mouth. There were many wounds on his body and head. His fingers and toes were black. The skin on his head was red, and separable from the skull. The local communist government forced his family members to sign an agreement that Zhou died of a heart attack, which his family members refused.

Zhou was a well-known good person and official in the local area. His death shocked many people.

17. Sun Xiuqing, female, in her 50s, Hegang City, Heilongjiang Province

Sun was detained in the Luobei Detention Center before the Chinese New Year (February 4, 2000). She died suddenly at the end of April 2000. The police cremated her body immediately without informing her family members. They also attempted to block the news.

16. Guan Chaosheng, male, age unknown, Qidong City, Hunan Province

Associated Press reported on April 20, 2000, that Guan went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was beaten to death at a detention center in Beijing. The authorities gave his relatives a 10,000-Yuan compensation.

15. Li Huixi, male, 40, Shouguang County, Weifang City, Shandong Province

He went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was escorted back to the local police station of Hou Town on April 21, 2000. He was beaten to death on that night. On April 22, 2000, the police informed his family that he was dead and cremated his body in a hurry. The police warned his family members not to disclose the news and gave them 45,000 Yuan.

14. Li Yanhua, female, 45, Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province

In October 1999, she was arrested twice for appealing in Beijing for Falun Gong. On January 7, 2000, she was sentenced to two years of forced labor without any legal procedure.

When she was detained in the Women's Drug Rehabilitation Center in Nanchang City, her hunger strike caused atrophy of her internal organs. On April 13, the detention center was afraid to take responsibility for this, and informed her relatives to bail her out to receive medical treatment. She died within two hours after she was taken home.

13. Zhang Zhenggang, male, 36, Huaian City, Jiangsu Province

On March 2, 2000, Zhang was taken into custody in Huaian police station. On March 25, he was brutally beaten, which left fatal injuries to his brain. Later, he was sent to the First Hospital of Huaian City for emergency treatment, and fell into a coma. On March 30, the medical examination showed that Zhang still had weak heartbeats and breaths. Then about 50 police officers appeared, and they imposed a curfew at the hospital. Then a few officers pushed Zhang's family members and other patients around, and took Zhang, who still had heartbeats and breaths, to the crematorium. Zhang's body was cremated without the consent of his family members.

12. Yang Xueqin, male, 36, Shanghai City

Yang was arrested in July 1999 while appealing for Falun Gong, and was sent to a mental hospital afterwards. At the beginning of this year, he was arrested again for appealing in Beijing. On February 18, 2000, Yang's head was injured after "jumping out" of a building. He died nine days after being sent to a hospital.

11. Chen Zixiu, female, 59, Weicheng District, Weifang City, Shandong Province

On February 16, 2000, she was thrown into the so-called "Falun Gong Transformation and Detention Center" held by the Chengguan Street Office. The communist officials beat her using plastic sticks and electric batons. Other detained practitioners could hear her painful screams. The communist officials demanded her to recant her belief while beating her madly, but she firmly refused. On the morning of February 20, 2000, Chen, who was half-dead, was forced to crawl barefooted in the snow. Two days of torture left severe injuries in her legs. Chen vomited and fainted. She never regained her consciousness.

10. Liu Xuguo, male, 29, Zoucheng City, Shandong Province

In October 1999, Liu, an engineer of the Factory of Fertilizer, went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. As a result, he was detained in the police station of Zoucheng City and was sentenced to three years of forced labor. To defend his rights, he went on a hunger strike. On the sixth day of his hunger strike, he was force-fed through the nose, and the feeding tube caused severe injuries to his respiratory system, which seriously infected his lungs. He died in the hospital on February 11, 2000.

9. Gao Xianmin, male, 41, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province

On December 31, 1999, Gao was arrested in the Tianhe Park of Guangzhou City while having a picnic. The police claimed that he lost consciousness on January 7, 2000, during the hunger strike, and died in the hospital. It was suspected that he was suffocated to death when force-fed with high-density salt water.

8. Liu Zhilan, female, 40, Fangshan District, Beijing

On January 10, 2000, she was arrested when appealing in Beijing for Falun Gong. The Zhoukoudian police station forced her to do janitorial work everyday. On January 14, after having a meal in the boiler room, she died of gas poisoning.

7. Zhang Shuqi, female, 52, Xicheng District, Beijing

On December 26, 1999, Zhang was arrested when attempting to audit the trial of the four contact people of the former Research Society of Falun Gong. On the afternoon of January 14, 2000, the police station suddenly informed her family members to pick her up. After going back home, Zhang fainted, vomited and lost consciousness, and died on January 15. Zhang had been force-fed through the nose during her hunger strike in the detention center.

6. Zhu Shaolan, female, 50, Jinzhou City, Liaoning Province

She was detained for participating in signing an appeal letter for Falun Gong. After four days of hunger strike, she was sent to the hospital for emergency treatment on October 5, 1999, and died on October 7, 1999.

5. Zhao Jinhua, female, 42, Zhangxing Town, Zhaoyuan City, Shandong Province

On September 29, 1999, Zhao was taken away by the police while working in the field. The police tortured her by beating her with rubber clubs, shocking her with electrical circuits, depriving her of sleep, and so on. On October 7, she was tortured to death.

4. Dong Buyun, female, 36, Linyi City, Shandong Province

Dong, a teacher at the Xiyanchi Elementary School in Linyi City, went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, and later she was detained in a room on the second floor of the school building. On September 11, 1999, the police claimed that she died at midnight from jumping out of the building. Her body was cremated in a rush by noon on the next day.

3. Wang Guoping, male, 40, Shulan City, Jilin Province

Wang was arrested when appealing in Beijing. The police beat him with various torturing devices, poured cold water on him, and pushed his head into the toilet. The police claimed that he died on October 17, 1999, after jumping out of the eighth floor of the Jilin Liaison Office Building in Beijing.

2. Zhao Dong, male, 38, Jixi City, Heilongjiang Province

In September 1999, Zhao went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was arrested. When escorted back, he was beaten and threatened by the police. He jumped out of a moving train with handcuffs on, and died.

1. Chen Ying, female, 18, Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province

In August 1999, when escorted back after appealing for Falun Gong in Beijing, she was threatened, beaten, and verbally abused by the police. She died after jumping out of a moving train.