23. The Recovery Of A Melanoma Patient

  I was born in one of the major cities in Northern China. During the first year that China's college admission exam was re-instated, I entered the Chinese Department of a Teacher Training College. I graduated in 1982, and started to do editing and reporting work for one of the newspapers in the capital city of a province. In 1985, I accepted a reporter's position at a newspaper in a city in southern China.

    My relationship with Falun Dafa started in the beginning of May 1999. At that time I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma and went back to my hometown to get medical treatment. I was hospitalized in the medical school's hospital. The treatment involved amputating the big toe of my right foot. After the surgery, a Falun Dafa practitioner introduced me to Teacher Li's audiotapes and the book Zhuan Falun. I started to listen to Teacher's lectures while lying in bed. When I could sit up, I would read Zhuan Falun. After I went back home, I started attending the morning practice and Fa study with the nearby practitioners. Within two weeks, I got rid of my walking stick and wheelchair, and could walk by myself. Soon, with other practitioners' encouragement, I could do the sitting meditation exercise in the full lotus position for as long as half an hour, and my character improved as well.

  After I had practiced for less than 3 months, on July 20, 1999 Jiang's regime started persecuting Falun Dafa on a large scale. The state-run media broadcasted all kinds of deceptive propaganda. As a new practitioner who had just started, I was confused. I was overwhelmed and deceived by the propaganda, and for a time I gave up practicing Falun Dafa. During the two years and three months that I was not practicing Falun Dafa, the malignant melanoma ravaged my body. I again underwent chemotherapy and other forms of treatment. However, in February 2000, I discovered another tumor in the groin area, where one tumor had already been removed. I went back home and had the second surgery, and had the lymph nodes removed. I also underwent treatments to prevent the melanoma from spreading. I took shots imported from Japan and others imported from Germany, undergoing the latter treatment for an entire year. In March 2001, I started to feel nauseated all the time, and my body felt very sick. After a physical examination in the hospital, it was found that my adrenal gland, left lung, and leg all had tumors spreading in them. The biggest one was 10 cm. by 10 cm. (3.9 ̄). So I went to Beijing and Shanghai at the end of May for help. Famous hospitals like the Shanghai Cancer Hospital, Huashan Hospital, the Second Military Medical School, Beijing 307 Hospital, and the Beijing Cancer Hospital all determined that my late stage cancer was incurable.

  In the middle of June, I dragged my weary body back home and underwent chemotherapy, and at the same time took some herbs from the Traditional Chinese Medicine Cancer Research Center. However, since August my body had been extremely weak, and I had to end the chemotherapy, and go home to take the traditional Chinese medicine. In a few months, my body weight decreased from 80 kilograms (176lbs.) to 50kgs. (110lbs.). Gradually, because of constant vomiting, I could no longer take the Chinese herbs. I had to depend on morphine and other drugs to ease the pain, and I depended on amino acid and liquid nourishment to sustain my life. I stayed in bed all day long and could barely turn my body.

  On October 24, the day before my 44th birthday, my life had almost reached the end, and my whole family was in deep sorrow. My 80-year-old father held me and cried loudly. I was thinking, why did this happen when I was so young? My daughter was less than one year old, and I had to leave my elderly father, my wife, my daughter and my siblings, as well as the life and career that I was so fond of. Why did people have to come to the world? Why did they have to leave in such suffering? This led me to remember Falun Dafa, which I had previously practiced.

  In the materials a practitioner sent to me, I found some articles written by knowledgeable specialists talking about the relationship between the life sciences and karma. I was inspired and thought, with the last few days in my life, I should clear up my questions and try to find the true meaning of life. At that point, I had no other intention but to explore the truth of life. During those two years that I was deceived by the propaganda, I said things that I shouldn't have and even blamed Dafa and Teacher Li for things, but at that point I didn't have any desire to obtain anything from Dafa. I just thought that if in the future the facts proved Dafa really was a most extraordinary science, I would not have a chance to find it again after I died. Therefore, I wanted to use the last moments of my life to read Teacher Li's book, Zhuan Falun, once again.

  On October 25, on my 44th birthday, I came back to the golden path of practicing Falun Dafa, and great changes began to take place almost immediately. I decided that no matter how much time I still had left, I would use it to cultivate in Falun Dafa. That same night, I started to eat again. Soon, I was able to reduce the painkilling shots from every 2 hours to every 5 hours.

  I feel that no human words can express Teacher's mercy. I was soon able to discontinue the shots of painkillers, and the need to sustain myself through infusions.

  I deeply understand that every day after that day was given to me by Falun Dafa. I had to cherish my new life, hold myself to the highest standards of  ̄Truthfulness, Compassion and Forbearance ̄ and be a genuine practitioner. Seeing that I no longer needed the painkillers and that I was eating regularly again, everyone said,  ̄Falun Dafa is great. This is unbelievable! ̄ My housekeeper, who took care of my daughter and me, saw the changes and told everyone she met about my case. As a result of this amazing transformation, the people around me started to change, too. Those who had believed the state-run media's lies started to question them, and others who had been ambivalent began to accept informational materials that clarify the truth about the persecution of Falun Gong by Jiang and his followers. Some even started to practice Falun Dafa themselves.

  November 25, 2000: It has been a full month since my new life began. I want to write down the changes I have experienced during this month. I want to use my extended life to validate Falun Dafa and tell everyone that has been deceived that I am a living example of how amazing and wonderful Falun Dafa is.     

  December 19, 2001