(Clearwisdom.net) Dr. Ma Qingchun is a resident of Laiyang City, Shandong Province and an ophthalmologist at Laiyang City Center Hospital. On April 14, 2008, he was arrested. On June 25, 2008, he was sentenced to forced labor and sent to a labor camp. During those two months, the officials from the Laiyang City State Security Division, the Laiyang City 610 Office and the Laiyang City Detention Center brutally tortured and interrogated him.

On the morning of April 14, 2008, while Dr. Ma was working at the hospital, the officials from the State Security Division, Wei Haibo and Liu Peng, and several officials from the 610 Office came and arrested him. They detained him at the brainwashing center for 25 days.

At the brainwashing center, Dr. Ma was brutally tortured. On the day of his arrest, Yu Yuejin grabbed his hair and punched him in the face, head and chest. At night, he was handcuffed to a table and was not allowed to sit but had to squat. He was not allowed to sleep. When he was caught falling asleep, he was beaten. The next day, Dr. Ma was still not allowed to sleep. After 24 hours of detention, he requested to be released, but in return, one official punched him and kneed him really hard repeatedly in his lower abdomen. After the torture, Dr. Ma suffered extreme pain and had difficulty turning over on the bed.

During the rest of the more than 20 days in the brainwashing center, Dr. Ma was handcuffed around the clock. At night, his hands were handcuffed to the radiators at the two sides of the bed and he could not move. He was allowed to sleep after midnight and was woken up before 6 a.m. Several officials frequently beat him. One official from the 610 Office extorted 3,000 yuan from Dr. Ma's parents.

On the morning of May 9, 2008, Dr. Ma's family members came to visit him, but the officials from the 610 Office refused to let them see him. His mother begged them repeatedly and was allowed to see him for a few seconds. Afterwards, the old lady was dragged and thrown out the door. Her clothes were torn. On the same morning, Dr. Ma was sent to the detention center for further persecution without any legal procedure.

On the morning of May 22, 2008, Dr. Ma was sent to the First Division of the detention center. The guards immediately instigated several inmates to beat him. Liu Tianhui, a murderer, kicked the right side of Dr. Ma's abdomen repeatedly so hard that he had difficulty breathing and was in severe pain for more than a month. On the morning of May 23, 2008, Gong Tingfang, a guard, instigated inmates to torture Dr. Ma. They tied him to the wooden boards of a bed with steel chains. His hands were handcuffed and tied to his lower abdomen area and his feet were shackled together. He couldn't move his body. They then tightened the steel chains, which caused him extreme pain. They tortured him continuously for 20 hours. Dr. Ma was not given any food. He was in so much pain that he had sweat all over his body. On the next day, Gong ordered the inmates to take off Dr. Ma's handcuffs and loosen the chain. His body had bruises all over.

Around May 27, 2008, Wang Baogang, the acting director of the detention center, ordered Gong to continue torturing Dr. Ma with the steel chain. Dr. Ma was tied up again and tortured for seven hours. Afterwards, he was tied to the wooden board bed continuously for over a week, sometimes with the steel chain. He was not allowed to go to the restroom and had to relieve himself on the bed. He was not able to eat much. After he was released, he was forced to do labor for 15 hours daily.

After 30 days of detention at the detention center, Dr. Ma was supposed to be released. However, two officers from the Sate Security Division, Wei Haibo and Lu Jiangang, came with the release notice, but instead took him back to the brainwashing center.

During the next 15 days at the brainwashing center, the officials from the 610 Office refused to let Dr. Ma's family visit him. He was beaten several times. One official also beat Dr. Ma's father. The officials from the 610 Office kept threatening his father. The old man was on the verge of a mental breakdown. They also lied to his father. At last, his father had to cooperate with them to have his son sentenced to forced labor. Without any legal procedures, on June 25, 2008, Dr. Ma was sentenced to forced labor and sent to the labor camp.