During the period from 2001 to 2004, Chief Officer Meng Qingqi of the Mishan City Police Department in Heilongjiang Province, suffered a series of mishaps. In September 2001, he suffered a slipped disc, and was unable to stand up straight. Despite this, he continued to persecute Dafa practitioners. In mid January 2004, while driving to Jixi town, his car ran into another vehicle. His neck was injured and two of his ribs were fractured. He had injuries in his kidney and lung, and his lower body was paralyzed. Then in 2005, he was suddenly demoted to the rank of an ordinary officer.

Meng Qingqi is about 59 years old. In 1999, under Jiang Zemin's command, he became the leader in persecuting Falun Gong practitioners in Mishan City. During that period, over 300 practitioners were illegally arrested, detained, their possessions extorted, tortured, sent to forced labor camps, or sentenced to long term imprisonment. Most of the cases were directly orchestrated by him.

Meng Qingqi was the head of the police department in Mishan City from July 1999 to the end of 2005. During that period, he sent over a hundred practitioners to forced labor camps. Over thirty were sentenced to long term imprisonment, and six died from torture. It was estimated that he had extorted over two million yuan from the prisoners. From 1999 to 2002 alone, he pocketed over a million yuan from the people he had arrested. In addition to all that, he confiscated possessions such as motorcycles, televisions, computers, VCD players, video cameras, printers, mobile phones, etc.

The following are some facts of his extortion:

On the morning of October 30, 2001, Meng Qingqi and his partners, Tu Rongshan and Li Kang, arrested three Falun Gong practitioners, and Ms. Xing Delu was one of them. Four mobiles phones and four pagers were confiscated, worth a total of over 4,000 yuan. From the handbag of another female practitioner, Li Kang found a few thousand yuan and they split it among themselves. From the bag of another male practitioner, they found four thousand yuan. Meng grabbed the bag and pocketed a thousand himself.

In 2002, Meng Qingqi was reported to have extorted money from a Falun Dafa practitioner. An investigation was carried out by the authorities, but with so many incidents, no one recollected the actual facts. Only a few known cases were dealt with and only a part of the money was returned by Meng.

A practitioner named Ms. Li Juling lived across from a high school in Lianzhushan. She was disabled, and had one blind eye. She also supported a few children and lived a very poor life. After practicing Falun Gong, her health improved tremendously. She went to Beijing and was arrested while appealing for the right to practice Falun Gong. Of the 1,650 yuan she had, apart from the 175 yuan spent on the way, the police took the remaining 1,475 yuan without giving her a receipt. Meng Qingqi then put Ms. Li in detention, and demanded from her family an additional 2,000 yuan as a condition for her release. When Meng received the 2,000 yuan, instead of releasing her, two months later he sentenced her to a forced labor camp for one year. This gave the district council another opportunity to extort an additional 1,500 yuan from her family.

Mr. Li and his wife lived in Cheng Zihe village and both of them practiced Falun Gong. Meng Qingqi told Mr. Li to give him 1,000 yuan or his wife would be arrested. Mr. Li was not wealthy and could not afford the money, so Meng ordered the police to arrest his wife. In order to have his wife released Mr. Li had to borrow money to pay Meng. There have been numerous cases of this kind.