(Clearwisdom.net) Note: The following is a shortened version of a longer and more detailed article that appeared on the Minghui.org website (Chinese version of Clearwisdom.net).

Ms. Li Yan, a Falun Gong practitioner, worked in the Technical Section of the Taiyuan City Gas Company, part of the Taiyuan Coal Gasifying Company in Shanxi Province. On January 17, 2000, Ms. Li Yan went to the State Council Petition Office to appeal for Falun Gong. She was taken home by Taiyuan Coal Company security officers and placed in the Taiyuan City Detention Center. Company officials stripped her of her Party membership and removed her from her position as a section chief. Her salary was reduced to the level of an ordinary worker. Her entire position was then downgraded, including her title, salary, bonus, etc.

On July 13, 2000, Taiyuan Coal Company officials invited the police from a security division of the Taiyuan City Police Department to interrogate her. They then cooperated with the police to search Ms. Li Yan's home. Following this, she was arrested on criminal charges.

On February 1, 2001, while on her way to work, Ms. Li Yan was deceived by company representatives, who told her go to the Hepingnan Road local police station under the Wanxionglin Bureau of the Taiyuan City Police Department. The land on which her company and its residential buildings are located belong to this local police station. Security officers from the coal company told her that this was an order from the Wanxionglin Bureau of the Taiyuan City Police Department for her arrest. They illegally arrested her and detained her in the Taiyuan City Detention Center for 40 days, then sent her to a forced labor camp for one year on criminal charges. After this, Ms. Li Yan was sent to the Women's Forced Labor Camp in Taiyuan Xindian of Shanxi Province. They extended her sentence for three more months, then again for an additional month.

In early May 2002, Mr. Cheng Dongming, deputy secretary of the Party Committee in the Taiyuan Coal Company; Ms. Song Caiying, chief of Human Resources; and Mr. Li Guixin, chief of security, went to the forced labor camp to assist in trying to "transform" Ms. Li Yan. After this, the company's general manager, Mr. Tang Jun, convened a meeting attended by members of both the Party and Administrative Committees of the Taiyuan City Gas Company. The meeting was organized by Ms. Song Caiying, who forced all the participants at the meeting to agree to dismiss Falun Gong practitioner Li Yan. Ms. Li was then dismissed from her position and job. Ms. Li, who was finally released from the forced labor camp, now has no way to earn a living.