Mr. Qi Mingli, a Falun Dafa practitioner, was taken from Jinzhou Forced Labor Camp, where he had been detained for three years, and sent to Luotaizhuan Brainwashing Center in Fushun City for further persecution. He was taken there by people from Nanhu Police Station in Shenyang City and the Shenyang 610 Office. He went on a hunger strike for 10 days and was released on May 9, 2007, after becoming very weak.

Qi Mingli's three-year sentence was due to end on May 1, 2007, but at 9 a.m., on April 24, 2007, Zhang Chunfeng, the political instructor from the No.2 Team in Jinzhou Forced Labor Camp, went to see Mr. Qi. Zhao Hai, a "Four Defense" member, and lied to him, saying that his family had come to visit him. The two then took Mr. Qi to the reception room on the 2nd floor. Once there, Zhang Pixiang replaced Zhao Hai and escorted Mr. Qi out the door. At that point, another male approached and asked Mr. Qi, "What's the matter with your leg?" Mr. Qi replied, "It happened as a result of being tortured in the forced labor camp."

A van was parked alongside the building and surrounded by a few regular inmates. Someone told Mr. Qi to get into the van. Mr. Qi asked, "Who are you? Do you have any identification?" Someone among them asked Qi, "Where are you from?" Mr. Qi said he was a resident of Shenyang, and refused to get in to the van.

Zhou Changjian, the Director of the Forced Labor Camp, then told them to produce their ID cards so Mr. Qi could see them, but nobody responded. After a few moments of deadlock, Zhou ordered people from the camp to push Mr. Qi into the van. Mr. Qi was shouting loudly, "Falun Dafa is wonderful!" Straight away, a couple of them held both of Mr. Qi's arms tightly. Mr. Qi asked, "Where are you taking me? One person replied, "We'll find a new place for you, which is much better than this one. It's a three-star hotel where we are going to brainwash you." Mr. Qi immediately replied, "You want to brainwash me? Okay, I was thinking about persuading you to quit the Party!"

That person then slapped Mr. Qi's face with a lot of force. Mr. Qi stood up immediately to try to stop him from hitting again, an evil act. The other person was scared and withdrew his hand immediately. Another person was pointing at Mr. Qi and talking nonsense; Mr. Qi also stopped him. The person who beat Mr. Qi then shamelessly said, "That's because we 'love' you."

Two of the "Four Defense" members, Li Bo and Wang Dejun, who had been guarding Qi Mingli, took his baggage and living necessities to the van, where seven people were already inside. One of them was a woman. Zhang asked for Mr. Qi's home phone number, and told him it was so they could notify his family. One police officer sitting in the van said it was not necessary, and that they would notify his family when he arrived at his new place. As the van approached the exit of the forced labor camp, a female warden also got in the van. She only stayed until they got to a printing shop, where she did some photocopying and then gave the copies to the people sitting in the van.

While in the van, Mr. Qi had been asking who his captors were and demanded they produce their IDs. A police officer in uniform, surnamed He, didn't dare reveal his identity. He asked Mr. Qi who had helped him to get his Hukou (domicile residence) in the Heping District. Throughout the journey Mr. Qi clarified the truth about Falun Gong and informed them of the persecution he had suffered over the past few years. He tried to persuade them not to commit any crimes against Dafa practitioners anymore, and also tried to talk to them all about the "Three Withdrawals" (resigning from the CCP and its affiliated organizations). He asked them to release him immediately. They didn't listen to him; instead, the officer who beat Mr. Qi said to him viciously, "Others don't know how a person like you is killed."

As the van approached Fushun City, all of a sudden one of the tires became flat. As they were changing the tire, Mr. Qi again tried to persuade them to release him by saying, "This is to warn you not to persecute me further. I hope you can drive me home." They didn't listen to him, so he insisted in getting out of the van. They then forced both of his arms behind his back and began to twist his wrists and press hard on them. At the same time, they kicked Mr. Qi's leg very violently; one even began to curse him. They didn't release his hand for a long time.

At around 3 or 4 p.m. they arrived at Luotaishanzhuang Brainwashing Center. When Mr. Qi got out of the van, he could barely walk. As they escorted him into the Brainwashing Center someone noticed his physical condition. One female from the center said, "His physical condition is very poor and he is still on a hunger strike; we can't accept someone like that." They checked his blood pressure and asked some simple questions about his physical condition. Then they left him in the room alone.

After a while, some people returned and took him to a room on the 2nd floor. Mr. Qi asked what had happened to the people who came with him, and was told that they had gone. He also requested to make a phone call to his family.

In order to resist the persecution, Mr. Qi began another hunger strike and clarified the truth to people from Luotaishanzhuang, hoping they would relay the true situation to Nanhu Police Station in Shenyang City and to the relevant departments. People from Luotaishanzhuang said that since he was sick, they wouldn't accept him. On April 30, Luotaishanzhuang took him to Fushun No.3 Hospital for a medical check-up. The doctor said that because of his leg, he needed to stay in the hospital for further observation and medical treatment. The doctor said his wound could spread disease, so he needed to be isolated. The people from Luotaishanzhuang said that as it was the "May 1" holiday, so it wasn't a good time to try to get in touch with people from Shenyang City. They tried to talk Mr. Qi into eating, promising him that they would get in touch with them after the long holidays. But Mr. Qi said, "I could believe your promise, but who will promise you that they won't persecute me" and still insisted on their releasing him.

On May 3, 5, 6, and 7, people from the brainwashing center took Mr. Qi to Fushun No.3 Hospital for force-feeding. At 3 p.m., on May 8, they notified his family to urgently come and collect him. Shenyang Nanhu Police Station, Luotaishanzhuang Brainwashing Center, and other relevant departments were also informed.

By May 8, 2007, Mr. Qi had been on hunger strike for 10 days. He was very weak, and needed people to help him walk. At 9:30 p.m., members of his family, people from Nanhu Police Station, and other relevant departments arrived at Luotaizhuang Brainwashing Center. When his family saw his physical condition, they were very worried and began to question the others there. "Why was such a kindhearted person persecuted to this extent? You've asked us to take him home; what can we tell the rest of his family? What if on our way home, he dies, who will take the responsibility? You must send someone to take him back." When people from Nanhu Police Station saw his condition, they became terrified and said, "We can't dispatch anybody." His family members said, "Since you got him here, how come you can't take him back? What are you afraid of?" So officials from Luotaishanzhuang, the Nanhu Police Station and relevant departments of Shenyang City began to hold meetings to discuss the matter.

It was not until 2 a.m. on May 9 that they finally reached an agreement. Two people were to be dispatched from Luotaishanzhuang Brainwashing Center to take him back to Jinzhou City, while Shenyang City Nanhu Police Station would take care of the expense. Qi Mingli finally arrived home at 7 a.m., on May 9.

As a matter of fact, for Qi to have been transferred to the brainwashing center was well planned by people from Jinhou Forced Labor Camp and Shenyang City Nanhu Police Station.

  1. Towards the end of March, guard Zhao Yongli asked Mr. Qi where his Hukou and local police station were, with the excuse that it was required when preparing paperwork for his release.
  2. In mid-April, Zhao visited Qi's Hukou and asked who dealt with setting up his Hukou for him. The questions he asked were the same as that of police officer He, who was in the van when Mr. Qi was transferred to the brainwashing center.
  3. On April 28, while in the labor camp, Liaoyang practitioner Weng Hongjun asked Li Songtao, head of the 2nd brigade, to call at Weng's home to let them know what time to collect him. Weng also told Li that Mr. Qi also wanted to call home to tell them when he would be released. Li said it was not necessary for Mr. Qi to ring home, as his mother-in-law had called just a few days before, and he had told her to come pick him up on May 1. When he heard this Mr. Qi looked disconcerted. The following day Mr. Qi was taken to the brainwashing center.
  4. On May 1, members of his family went to the forced labor camp with the intention of collecting him, but to no avail. The guards had deceived them by saying that Mr. Qi had been taken away for shouting, "Down with the CCP" (even though he didn't). When Mr. Qi's family went to Li's home to inquire about this, Li gave them the excuse that since he didn't go to work that day, he didn't know anything about it.