(Clearwisdom.org) Around 3 p.m. on September 19, 2007, seven police officers from the 610 Office in Weihai City, Shandong Province, raided 69-year-old Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Jiang Zhennan's home. Mr. Jiang's whereabouts have been unknown since then.

During the house raid, the police first asked Mr. Jiang's wife to open the door but she refused. Then they phoned and ordered Mr. Jiang's relative to return home to open the door. They threatened to break the lock if Mr. Jiang's family did not cooperate. Finally Mr. Jiang's son was forced to open the door. The police confiscated some Falun Gong materials, one printer, and Mr. Jiang's nephew's laptop computer. Police told Mr. Jiang's family that, because Mr. Jiang is the only high-ranking Communist Party member in Weihai City to practice Falun Gong, he is a key target for surveillance.

Mr. Jiang Zhennan, 69, was born in Wuxi City, Jiangsu Province. Before retirement, Mr. Jiang was deputy general manager and chief engineer in the Weihai Textile Group and the director-general of the Weihai Textile Engineering Society. Mr. Jiang made a significant contribution to the development of the textile industry in Weihai City. For example, he invented industrial-scale carpet weaving technology and published a monograph on this subject. Three woolen mills were established to implement Mr. Jiang's technology. He received a great deal of media attention and won several honorary titles, including "Advanced Producer," "Model Worker," and "Excellent Scientific Worker" and became a member of the Weihai City Committee at a Political Consultative Conference.

Mr. Jiang was severely injured in an automobile accident in July 1994. He lost vision in his right eye, lost all of his teeth, and sustained fractures of his left leg and left arm. In early 1998, Mr. Jiang contracted atrophic gastritis. Afterward he could eat only small pieces of bread for each meal. That same year, he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, which could not be removed by surgery. It seemed that Mr. Jiang was near the end of his life.

Then Mr. Jiang heard about Falun Gong's excellent effects on health. He started to practice Falun Gong. Miraculously, all of Mr. Jiang's diseases, including severe neurasthenia from childhood and a herniated intervertebral disk, were resolved. His drastic physical improvements surprised the entire Textile Group.

When the persecution began, Mr. Jiang wrote a letter to national leaders to describe his experiences in Falun Gong. Illegal interrogation and detention ensued. Mr. Jiang then went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in June of 2000. He was arrested on Tiananmen Square and detained for three days before repatriation to Weihai City.

In 2002, Mr. Jiang went to Wuxi City in Jiangsu Province to visit his hometown. There he was arrested on charges of suspected Falun Gong truth-clarification activities. Consequently, he was held in the Weihai City Detention Center for one month. Mr. Jiang was released after a five-day hunger strike.

Since September 2005, the Weihai City's 610 Office has kept Mr. Jiang under constant surveillance. During the Communist Party's sensitive periods, police and the neighborhood committee will call and harass Mr. Jiang. In June 2007, the Weihai City Beigou Police Station set up two surveillance cameras on each side of Mr. Jiang's apartment building to monitor him.

October 13, 2007