Ms. Zhu Lifang, born in 1962, was a staff worker in the Industrial and Business Bank in Jianshui County, Yunan Province. She had many illnesses, but they all went away and she became very healthy after she began practicing Falun Gong in 1997. Because she insisted in practicing, even after July 20, 1999 when the persecution began, the authorities ransacked her home in April-May 2000. Her husband, also a practitioner, was arrested and detained. Not able to withstand the pressure, Ms. Zhu wrote the Three Statements. Her former illnesses reappeared and later turned into cancer. During the one-and-a-half years of her hospitalization, the authorities kept persecuting her. The 610 Office claimed that she might escape (actually, she was too weak to even walk) so they did not let her receive treatment in the hospital. She was admitted only after her company agreed to send two people from 200 kilometers away to watch her around the clock in the hospital. In the meantime, her husband was interrogated many times and forced by the national security police and the 610 Office to attend brainwashing sessions. When she was resting at home, agents from the national security police, the 610 Office, and the neighborhood association went to her home to hassle her many times. The persecution and harassment aggravated her illness and she died in October 2001 at the age of 39.

Mr. Chen Wei, 58, was retired from the Shenyang Engineering and Hydrolic Pressed Product Company in Liaoning Province. When Jiang’s regime started to persecute Falun Gong in July 1999, he went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested. The police ransacked his home and he was sentenced to one year of forced labor education. He was imprisoned in Longshan Rehabilitation Center in Shenyang City, and both his physical and mental health were greatly harmed. The local police and the neighborhood association harassed him after his release, which caused his health to deteriorate. He developed cancer and died on July 2, 2006.

Mr. Liu Yulin, 63 years old, lived in the Forth House, Erdao Village, Yilaxi Town, Yongji County, Jilin Province. The heart condition and other illnesses that had bothered him for years went away after he began practicing Falun Gong in 1998. After July 20, 1999, police from Yilaxi Police Station went many times to his home to harass him and search for Falun Gong books. In September 2003, division director Li Chunfu and director Xian Guiru of the community's Women's Association harassed him and threatened to send him to prison if he continued to practice Falun Gong. Not able to withstand the persecution, he signed a Guarantee Statement and was under tremendous stress. His illnesses reappeared in 2004 and he passed away on August 21, 2005.