(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Xin Wei was a senior technician at the Press Workshop for the Changchun City Tractor Factory before being incarcerated in Jilin Prison. In July 2005, the guards ordered inmates to beat him, causing terrible bruises and impaired vision. He was tortured so severely that he became incapacitated and could not take care of himself.

The police had illegally arrested him in 2002. They fabricated charges and sentenced him to nine years in prison. He was cruelly tortured for three years while being held in Jilin Prison. Xin Wei's father and mother passed away under tremendous pressure on June 5, 2004 and July 28, 2005, respectively.

Xin Wei's wife recently learned of Xin Wei's condition. She first phoned the Education Section of the prison and was told that the person in charge was not there and to call after 4:00 p.m. (although the office staff goes home at 4:00 p.m.) Xin Wei's wife then phoned Liu Wei, head of the prison, who denied knowledge of Xin Wei's condition.

Xin Wei is 43 years old. He used to live in Room 606, Gate 2, Building 6 in the Yongchun Neighborhood Area of Nanguan District, Changchun City. His wife Zhang Shufen was laid off from the Chaoyang Restaurant, operated by the Changchun City Food Service Company. Xin Wei was an alcoholic with a bad temper before he practiced Dafa. He often fought with others, and his relationship with his wife was very tense. He quit all of his bad habits after he started practicing Dafa in March 1998. His family relationships also improved.

Xin Wei and his family did not live a day in peace after the Jiang Zemin regime started persecuting Falun Gong on July 20, 1999. Xin Wei was arrested three times: in 1999, 2000 and 2001. He was sentenced to nine years in prison in August 2002 and is now being held in Division 8 at the Jilin Prison. His wife, Zhang Shufen, lived a difficult life with their 15-year-old child.

At around 6:00 p.m. on September 28, 1999, Wang Wei, the residence registration officer from the Xinchun Police Station, phoned Wang Wei and fabricated something to get him to go to the police station. On his arrival Mr. Xin was sent to the Balibao Custody Center and illegally detained there. It was claimed that Xin Wei was placed in a "monitored living" situation and that he would be released after the October 1 holiday, when many Falun Gong practitioners go to Beijing to appeal. Xin Wei was severely persecuted. He was only permitted to go home on October 6, after which he was forced to report daily to the police station.

In September 2000, Xin Wei went to Beijing to appeal, and was arrested there. Officers from the Xinchun Police Station took him back and detained him at the Balibao Custody Center. They told his family that he would be held for 15 days. After 15 days, Xin Wei's family went to the police station and asked for him. Officer Wang Wei said, "If he doesn't go home today, he'll go home tomorrow."

He didn't return the following day, and his family went to the custody center to pick him up. When they arrived at the custody center, his family was shocked to read on the blackboard: "Xin Wei: one year of forced labor." The police again lied to the family. When the family confronted Wang Wei about lying to them, Wang Wei said, "Our superiors approved this. We can't do anything. Go and talk to the Nanguan Police Department."

Xin Wei was held in a labor camp for one year. First he was held at the Fenjin Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City. Later he was transferred to the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp, where he was savagely tortured. His body was deformed by the time of his release in July 2001.

Around 1:00 a.m. one day in late September 2001, officers from the Shuguang Police Station again arrested Xin Wei, this time from his residence. His family only knew that he was arrested, but didn't know where he was being held. They asked many people but did not find out.

Two months later, in late November 2001, case handler Li Ming from the Shuguang Police Station phoned Xin Wei's family and told them to bring money to take Xin Wei to a hospital. It was then that Xin Wei's family learned for the first time that Xin Wei had been held at the No. 3 Detention Center in Changchun City. When his family finally saw him, Xin Wei had been tortured to the point of disability. He needed help walking and could not take care of himself. His family inquired and was told that the police had taken him to the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp in the morning, but the labor camp authorities feared he would die there and refused to accept him. The officers then took him back to the police station, but refused to release him. They ordered his family to pay for his medical treatment.

Xin Wei's family took Xin Wei to the Changchun City Police Hospital. The doctor demanded a 5,000 yuan deposit for hospitalization. Xin Wei's family did not have the money. The police saw that Xin Wei was at the brink of death and asked Xin Wei's family how much money they had. The family answered, "2,000 yuan." The police then took the 2,000 yuan without issuing a receipt and released Xin Wei.

At around 9:00 p.m. one night in January 2002, Wang Wei led a group of personnel from the Xinchun Police Department to Xin Wei's home and banged on the door, saying that they wanted to verify something with Xin Wei. Since Xin Wei had been deceived by them once before, his family did not open the door. These officers stayed outside and knocked on the door every few minutes. Xin Wei's wife said, "It's late! You can come back tomorrow!" They saw that the family was not going to open the door, so they said, "Ok, we'll come back tomorrow."

Xin Wei's family thought, "Why would so many people come if they just want to verify something? They were here to arrest Xin Wei for sure." Xin Wei thus escaped right under the police's eyes with his neighbor's help.

Around midnight, the police phoned for Xin Wei. His wife said he was not home. The police said, "Impossible! We never left! How did he manage to leave?" They knocked on the door again and said they wanted to take a look. Xin Wei's wife again told them that Xin Wei was not home. The police refused to leave. They knocked on the door every few minutes and started cursing. They harassed the family until dawn. They then called a locksmith who opened the door for them. They barged in and saw that Xin Wei was indeed not home, so they left. From then on, the police and the head of the Neighborhood Party Committee often harassed his family, so Xin Wei had to stay away from home.

In March 2002, practitioner Wang Lixin from the Caishen Neighborhood Area in the Nanguan District was arrested. The police then waited outside this practitioner's home while forcing her to phone other practitioners and tell them to come to her home. When other practitioners phoned her, the police spoke to them and said, "It's something very important! Come over quickly!" Many practitioners fell for this trick, and the police arrested them.

Xin Wei was one of the practitioners who went. He didn't know the police had surrounded Wang Lixin's home. He went to her home at 7:00 p.m. on March 10, 2002, bringing a bag of truth clarification materials, and was promptly arrested. The police confiscated his materials and sent him to the Nanjie Police Station, where he was savagely beaten. He was later sent to the No. 3 Detention Center in Changchun City.

On June 28, 2002, the Nanguan District Procuratorate in Changchun City falsely charged Xin Wei with "using an evil cult organization to disrupt the administration of the law" (indictment Changan Procuratorate and Criminal Verdict (2002) No. 354).

On August 30, 2002, the Nanguan District Court in Changchun City held an illegal trial of Xin Wei and sentenced him to nine years in prison because he was found to have Falun Gong flyers: "one day in February, 2002," "one day in early March, 2002" and "around 7:00 p.m. on March 10, 2002" (Verdict 2002 #440). Xin Wei appealed the verdict. The Changchun City Intermediate Court rejected his appeal on October 18, 2002 (Verdict #224 in 2002) and upheld the original verdict.

During the so-called trial, the officials did not allow Xin Wei to speak. According to Xin Wei, he delivered truth clarification materials only once, on the evening of March 10, 2002, and did not have 1,500 copies with him, as the police claimed. The false charges that Xin Wei had truth clarification materials in February 2002 and early March 2002 are completely false. The prosecution claimed that it had witnesses. When Xin Wei asked for the witnesses to take the stand, they could neither present the witnesses nor provide their written testimonies. They rejected Xin Wei's appeal despite muddled facts, lack of evidence and protests from Xin Wei and his family.

Xin Wei has been held at the Jilin Prison for over three years, during which time the guards encouraged the head inmates and other inmates to savagely beat and torture him. They tried to brainwash him, and coerced him to "reform" and give up his belief. In March 2005, they again coerced Xin Wei to give up Falun Gong practice and ordered four inmates to monitor him. Xin Wei told his wife, "I won't "reform," even if I die! If I die, it must be that they tortured me to death."

The guards and other thugs planned to use the Death Bed torture on him, but they didn't proceed because they feared he might die on it.

According to official policy, the family of a detainee is allowed one visit each month for 20 minutes each time. The inmates are allowed to buy food with their vouchers and eat while they talk to their families, but Falun Gong practitioners are only allowed to talk with their family members via a phone through a glass partition. The guards eavesdrop and watch them throughout the visits. They would cut off the conversation if they think that something they don't like is brought up. Visits are therefore usually shorter than 20 minutes for Falun Gong practitioners.

It is very hard for practitioners detained in prisons to communicate to the outside world about what is happening to them. One woman with the surname Yu visited her practitioner husband in prison. He was physically supported each time he walked out to see her, and clearly could not take care of himself, yet the prison authorities refused to release him on medical parole.

Phone numbers of people and organizations responsible for the persecution locally

No. 2 Jilin Prison, also called the Jilin Prison
Address: No 100 Junmin Road, Jilin City, Zip code: 132012
Mailing address: Box 315 Jilin City, Zip code: 132012
Main switchboard: 86-432-4881551
Head of prison: 86-432-4885488
Jilin Province Prison Administration Bureau: 86-431-2750068
Disciplinary Inspection Committee for the Jilin Province Prison Administration Bureau: 86-431-275006186-431-2750057
Prison Politics Division for the Jilin Province Prison Administration Bureau: 86-431-2750062