Mr. Zhang Gongmei, age 73, was a retired worker from the Xianan District of Hubei Province. From 1982 to 1995, Mr. Zhang was seriously ill. He was one of those who spent a lot of money on medical expenses. After taking up the practice of Falun Dafa in 1996, his health quickly recovered. From 1996 to 2005, he wasn't sick at all. When the practice of Falun Gong was officially banned in 1999 by the Chinese government, Mr. Zhang went to Wuhan, the capital of Hubei Province, then later to Beijing to appeal for the restoration of the right to practice Falun Dafa. When the persecution was at its peak, he stopped practicing for a while. Later, however, Mr. Zhang started to practice again, and he clarified the truth and distributed materials in support of Falun Dafa. The police considered Mr. Zhang's case as a typical "Falun Dafa case." They ransacked his house, confiscated his property, and later took him away to be brainwashed. Mr. Zhang died of torture on July 23, 2005.

Mr. Dong Chunhou, 60, was a Falun Dafa practitioner from Macheng City, Hubei Province. After he started to practice in February 1997, Mr. Dong went from being a very sick person to a very healthy one. In 2000, Mr. Dong was arrested and sent to a brainwashing class, where he was subjected to various barbarous treatments. After his release, police officers continued to harass him with threats and extortion. Finally, Mr. Dong broke down and died on November 9, 2003.

Mr. Su Diankui, age 80, was a practitioner from Xianfeng Village, Longhe Township, Nahe City, Heilongjiang Province. Before starting to practice Falun Dafa in October 1996, Mr. Su experienced constant muscle sprains and cramps, which prevented him from squatting and using the toilet. However, after taking up the practice of Falun Dafa, all those problems disappeared. In the spring of 2002, someone reported him to the authorities for possessing Falun Dafa materials. As a result, all his videotapes, reading materials and Dafa books were confiscated. He was taken away, beaten, and locked up for 48 hours. Continual harassment and ill treatment afterwards finally drove him to his death on November 21, 2003.

Ms Sun Shuhui, age 40, was a practitioner from Baoding City, Hebei Province. In 2000, Ms. Sun was diagnosed with cancer and was told that she had only eight months to live. After taking up the practice of Falun Dafa, she recovered miraculously. Out of appreciation, she went around promoting Falun Dafa and clarifying the facts to people who had been misled by the government propaganda. In 2002, due to constant harassment and pressure from police officers, her health suddenly declined, and she died in 2003.

Ms Lu Qiuju, age 61, lived in Minqiang Village, Huatong Township, Jingxi County, Guangxi Province. Ms Lu's whole family practices Falun Dafa. After the persecution of Falun Dafa began on July 20, 1999, the local police ransacked her home, confiscated her property, and constantly harassed and threatened her. Whenever she witnessed a member of her family being arrested, threatened, or fined, it was like a knife stabbing into her heart. After her two sons were arrested and taken to forced labor camps, she gave up practicing for a while. Long periods of harassment and pressure from police officers wore her down physically and mentally, and she started having mental problems. She died on July 23, 2005.