Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Zhang Yunlan, from Liuyang City, Hunan Province, was sentenced to two years of re-education through forced labor for distributing truth clarification materials in February 2004. She was detained and tortured at the notorious Baimalong Forced Labor Camp, where she suffered a mental collapse before the end of the year. Ms. Zhang was later bailed out and hospitalized, but the authorities from the 610 Office continued to threaten Ms. Zhang's son, saying that they would monitor and abuse her.

Ms. Zhang Yunlan, 52, is from Jinpan Village, Yonghe Town, Liuyang City of Hunan Province. Before she practiced Falun Gong, she had various illnesses, which were cured after she started practicing.

In February 2004, Ms. Zhang was reported and arrested for distributing truth clarification material in her hometown of Liuyang City. She was detained at Baxianqiao Detention Center in Liuyang City. On February 20, she was sent to Zhuzhou City's Baimalong Forced Labor Camp for two years of forced labor.

At Baimalong Forced Labor Camp, Ms. Zhang was detained in the "Transformation Division" and then in the "Strict Monitoring Division," where she suffered inhuman torture both physically and mentally. She was forced to watch the hoax "Tiananmen Square self-immolation" video produced by the CCTV and other propaganda that slandered Falun Gong. She was forced to write the Three Statements. She was forced to stand for long periods of time, deprived of sleep while standing for twenty-four hours, handcuffed and hung backward with her only toe tips touching the ground, doused with cold water, whipped on the face with long wet towels, and forced to do labor making shoes. When Ms. Zhang went on a hunger strike to protest, the police force-fed her.

At one point, several prison inmates, who were incited by the police, pushed Ms. Zhang into the bathroom. They poured four or five buckets of water over her head. They then threw her to the ground and stomped on her ribs over her heart, causing Ms. Zhang great pain.

Another time, Ms. Zhang's legs were so swollen after more than ten days of forced standing that she couldn't even put on shoes. She had to stand on the floor in her bare feet. She was then forced to stand on a four-inch wide stool. By that time, her legs and feet had lost all feeling, and she had no more strength to hold her body upright. The police ordered Li Xiaomei, the person assigned to monitor Ms. Zhang, to hit Ms. Zhang's feet and arms with a small stool and kick her legs. Li kicked Ms. Zhang so hard that her shoes came apart and then she asked Ms. Zhang for compensation.

Ms. Zhang Yunlan was then detained in the "Strict Monitoring Division." Half a month before she left the forced labor camp, she was dragged to have a check-up at a hospital on Shanglouzhou Street. The doctor claimed that Ms. Zhang had psychological problems. Ms. Zhang was then "bailed out for hospitalization" on April 30, 2005.

After she returned home, the neighbors saw that Ms. Zhang had changed from someone healthy to an old woman who had difficulty even walking and who was sometimes not clear-minded. She was being influenced by the lies and deceptions spread by the CCP-controlled TV and newspapers. Some people thought it strange and wondered why she had changed so much. In fact, Ms. Zhang's condition was the result of persecution in the Baimalong Forced Labor Camp. The Chinese authorities' claim that a forced labor camp is "as warm as a family" is a complete lie.

After Ms. Zhang went home, the local 610 officers forced her son to sign a statement of responsibility and ordered him to control his mother. Her son compromised with the 610 officer. In order to prevent his mother from leaving home, he only gave her two meals of one small bowl of rice each day. In addition, Ms. Zhang was given no breakfast and was only allowed to eat after 2 p.m. Her son also took away all of the money and possessions given to Ms. Zhang by other practitioners. Her son once kicked her so hard that her knee was swollen and she could not kneel down for a week.