(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Chen Xiulan, 85 years old, lived in Huimin County, Shandong Province. She was severely beaten by the police when she went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong. After two years of suffering, she died in 2002.

Ms. Chen started practicing Falun Dafa in 1996 along with her family. They established a group practice site in her home, and practitioners would come to her house to read Zhuan Falun together every evening. Sometimes practitioners shared their cultivation experiences, and the atmosphere was very peaceful and harmonious. Ms. Chen could not read, but she always listened carefully. Even though she was in her 80's, she enjoyed good health because she cultivated Falun Dafa. She had a pinkish complexion and could help with household chores.

On July 20, 1999, the persecution began, swept over the entire nation, and destroyed the peaceful cultivation environment. In the winter of 1999, Ms. Chen went to Beijing with her daughter to appeal for Falun Gong. When they were meditating at Tiananmen Square, a policeman kicked her hips twice very hard. Her daughter shouted, "Don't beat the elderly!" They were arrested and taken to the Shandong Province Liaison Office in Beijing and later sent back to the local government office. Ms. Chen was released due to her advanced age. Her daughter was brutally beaten and detained for a long time.

Ms. Chen was so traumatized by her Beijing trip that she did not speak a single word after returning home. The violent beatings were obviously a nightmare to her. One day she fell on the floor while trying to get out of bed and broke both of her hips. She never got up after that. The doctor said there was no hope for recovery due to her age.

Ms. Chen was paralyzed and bedridden. Her son-in-law and niece took care of her. She could not turn over on her own and suffered from bedsores. She also missed her detained daughter and worried about her.

After two years of pain and misery, Ms. Chen died at age 85 in June 2002.