Part 1

( The Falun Gong practitioners mentioned in this article were good people of sound physical and mental health. Because they insisted on practicing Falun Dafa and wished to live by the principle of "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance," they remained clearheaded in the face of the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) attempts to brainwash them. Therefore, the CCP tortured them, using physical abuse or neurological drugs on them until they became physically disabled or had a mental breakdown. After they became physically disabled or had a mental breakdown, many of them lost their lives.

"The purpose is to torture you until you'd rather be dead than alive," the police told practitioners when torturing them. For more than five years, under the genocidal policy of "defaming their [Falun Gong practitioners'] reputation, bankrupting them financially, destroying them physically," the police brutality has become ever more severe. Countless cases of brutal torture, sexual abuse, large fines, injections of neurological drugs, brainwashing, firings, ransacking of homes, educational and other types of mental persecution have become the norm for Chinese law enforcement agencies throughout the country. The examples listed in this article are only the tip of the iceberg.

[Continued from the previous section, (Part 1) see:]

2. Forced Brainwashing Leads to Mental Collapse

The China Mental Health Watch has reported that many Chinese citizens have been persecuted for practicing Falun Gong. They were sent to forced labor camps and mental hospitals to undergo physical and mental abuse. Subsequently their wages were withheld and their houses confiscated; they were arrested, detained, brainwashed and brutally tortured; some of them had mental breakdowns after being brutally tortured in forced labor camps. According to information collected by the organization so far, more than one hundred mental institutes and hospitals have been involved in persecuting Falun Gong practitioners.

During the past five-plus years of persecution, cases of Falun Gong practitioners being mentally traumatized due to forced brainwashing have been found in different areas across China.

Practitioner Ms. Zhu Xia Suffers Mental Collapse after Abuse and Probable Rape as a Part of Official Brainwashing (Photos)


Ms. Zhu Xia lived in Jingrongxiang Lane of the Guangrong Residential Complex in Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. During the Spring Festival season in early 2001, she was pregnant and went to Beijing with her husband to validate Falun Dafa. The Beijing police detained them. Her husband was sentenced to forced labor and held at the Xinhua Forced Labor Camp in Sichuan Province. Ms. Zhu was arrested only days after she delivered her baby. She was sent to the Nanmuzisi Women's Forced Labor Camp in Sichuan Province. At the end of her eighteen-month term, the authorities extended her term for eight more months because of her steadfast belief in Falun Gong. She endured all sorts of cruel torture at the labor camp. The police prohibited her from going to the restroom during the two months when she was on a hunger strike.

Around 2:00 p.m. on June 19, 2003, only a short time after her release, officers from the Guangrong Police Station and members of the residential committee arrested her at her home. She was held at the Pengzhou City Brainwashing Center, the Pi County Brainwashing Center, and the Xinjin County Brainwashing Center. On April 2, 2004, after an extended period of torture, brainwashing, and a parade designed to humiliate her, 32-year-old Ms. Zhu, who used to be healthy and vibrant, suffered a mental breakdown. She had to be sent home.

Zhu Xia (Before the persecution)

Zhu Xia (After the persecution)

Ms. Zhu now often has hallucinations. She tosses about restlessly all the time and cannot sit still. Ms. Zhu cries, laughs, swears at people and bangs on doors and windows constantly and unpredictably. As she cannot control herself, she urinates and has bowel movements in her pants. She removed her blanket's cover and sleeps in the cotton fibers. Ms. Zhu often puts her arms around her head as if protecting herself from being beaten, and with a terrified voice she screams, "Are you going to rape me?" She also keeps saying that she can't take it anymore, and she curses at those "horrible men." While she is cursing, Ms. Zhu often yells out these names: Lu Zhonghua, Wu Bo, Chen Ying, Zhao Wei, and Liu Wei. She also tells her mother to call these people and tell them to behave better. Based on these symptoms, it is likely that Ms. Zhu was raped in the brainwashing center, which led to or aggravated her mental disorder.

Ms. Zhu's elderly father was mentally ill due to the persecution he endured during the Cultural Revolution. At this time, her son is not yet four years old. Ms. Zhu's mother, in her seventies, can hardly handle the burden of taking care of her husband, her daughter, and her grandson.

Further Details Concerning Mr. Du Weifeng, Who Was Tortured to a State of Mental Collapse at the Chaoyang Reformatory (Photos)


Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Du Weifeng from Lingyuan City, Liaoning Province, was detained four times, subjected to reeducation through forced labor twice, dismissed from his public service position twice, and was tortured at the Chaoyang Reformatory until he suffered a mental collapse. The police department, however, said it was the result of "practicing Falun Gong." Many of Mr. Du's family members also practice Faun Dafa, and they have all been persecuted to varying degrees. Mr. Du's mother, Ms. He Guihua, witnessing the persecution of her family, was gravely affected, both mentally and physically. As a result, she passed away in 2002.

Mr. Du before he suffered the brutal persecution

Mr. Du three days after he was checked into a mental hospital

Mr. Du Weifeng, 27 years of age, was a former plumber at the thermal power plant of the Lingyuan Iron and Steel Company and was a staff member of the Lingyuan Iron and Steel Industrial Corporation. In 1994 he started to practice Falun Gong. Mr. Du went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong three times - on April 25, 1999, July 20, 1999, and in the middle of October 2000. The authorities took him into custody several times.

In 2002, the Lingyuan Public Security Sub-bureau imprisoned Mr. Du. They shocked him with electric batons, barbarically beat him and then fined him 3,000 yuan.

Before July 1, 2003, Mr. Du mailed two letters containing "Falun Dafa is good" cards inside them. Political Head Jin from the Linhe Police Department arrested him for doing so and detained him for two weeks. Mr. Du was secretly sent to the Chaoyang Reformatory and imprisoned there for "reeducation." He was facing a three-year term of forced labor.

On February 23, 2004, under the instructions of Jin Yucheng, the vice-president of the reformatory, a new wave of persecution was enacted in an attempt to force practitioners to "transform". Mr. Du was regarded as a key figure. The chief of the Fourth Brigade, Qi Yongshun, incited the squadron commander, Tian Shushan, to apply electric shocks to Mr. Du in an attempt to force him to renounce Falun Dafa. Tian Shushan locked Mr. Du in a room and shocked him on and off for an entire afternoon, for more than four hours. After that, Tian Shushan punished Mr. Du by forcing him to stand until midnight and then hauled him back to the room where he was torturing him and continued to shock him with electric batons. His intermittent, miserable screams awakened even people who slept soundly.

During mealtime on the second day, Mr. Du's eyes were filled with tears, and he could not eat any food. Tian Shushan forced Mr. Du to stand up and insulted him in the presence of others. After another day's torture, Mr. Du's spirit collapsed and he became mentally unbalanced. During breakfast the next day, Mr. Du climbed up on the roof of the four-story building and threatened to jump. After the police stopped him, he came down on a rope. The reformatory used him as an example to aggravate the persecution and kept him in solitary confinement. Mr. Du was forced to wear a heavy helmet, his hands and feet were restrained with handcuffs, and his arms and legs were chained to the floor in solitary confinement for a month. Visits were allowed on March 15. Mr. Du's father was allowed to see his son for only five minutes, but in that short time he witnessed with his own eyes the results of the severe torture his son had been subjected to.

The persecution of both his spirit and his body put Mr. Du's health in grave danger. He became extremely fearful, and he developed serious schizophrenia. He shouted without restraint, which shocked the entire reformatory.

On the morning of March 29, 2004, in order to shirk their responsibility, Clerk Zhang and another three policemen from the reformatory sent Du Weifeng home and told his parents that he was released because of his psychosis.

Because Du Weifeng had been tortured so severely for so long, his mind was greatly damaged. After he came home, he could not get over the deep memories he had of the torture to which he had been subjected. His condition continued to worsen. He ran naked outside and randomly smashed the furniture. Other practitioners contributed a thousand yuan to send him to a mental hospital for treatment.

Healthy Woman in Her 30's Confined to a Mental Hospital against Her Will -- Tortured to Dementia with Psychotic Drugs - Drowns Shortly After Release


Ms. Wang Dongmei, in her 30's, was a schoolteacher in a town in Wuyi County, Hengshui City, Hebei Province. In 2001, after she was forced to attend a local forced brainwashing center, she was sent to Division Five of Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp. In the labor camp, she suffered all kinds of physical and mental abuse, including rope torture, electric shock torture, sleep deprivation, and long periods of isolation. The police used all kinds of cruel means but were unable to make her renounce her belief. In order to break her will, they transferred her to a mental hospital where they tortured her and improperly administered psychotic drugs.

She was later taken home to serve her sentence there. People immediately noticed that her mental state was poor. Her movements were slow, her speech was slurred and her reactions were dull. Her memory was gone. When people asked why she had been sent to the mental hospital, she slowly replied that she did not know the reason. When asked what she happened in the hospital, she replied slowly, "They had me take medicine and gave me shots." When asked if she was forced to take medicine and injections, she said, "Yes."

Her arms still had the dark purple marks left by the rope torture. Ms. Wang became mentally unbalanced due to the drug torture. On March 12, 2004, she fell into a pond and drowned.

A Human Tragedy: Prominent Scholar Suffers Mental Collapse from Torture in the Tuanhe Forced Labor Camp; His Wife Succumbs to Brainwashing, Recommends Torture for her Husband


Practitioner Mr. Lin Chengtao was an Assistant Research Scientist in the Fundamental Research Institute of Concord at the University of Medical Science in China. After being sent to Unit No.2 of the Tuanhe Forced Labor Camp in October 2001, Jiang Wenlai, Ni Zhenxiong and other labor camp officers cruelly tortured him. Mr. Lin survived the inhumane physical torture. Then the police resorted to mental abuse.

After being brainwashed at the Taintanghe Women's Forced Labor Camp, Mr. Lin's wife succumbed to the brainwashing and torture and renounced her belief in Falun Dafa. She sent letters suggesting that the leaders in Tuanhe Labor Camp adopt the methods used in the Women's Labor Camp, including electric shock, physical punishment, psychological abuse and sleep deprivation, to force Mr. Lin to give up his belief. The labor camp published one of her letters. Mr. Lin could not take such mental stress. He became mentally unstable, rushed into the hallway, and kept shouting loudly. Since then, his mental condition has remained severely damaged.

On July 3, 2002, Mr. Lin was tortured in the West Building and he was slammed against the wall. He lost a lot of blood. In November 2002, Mr. Lin went on a hunger strike after being tortured. Officers of the No. 2 Unit secretly transferred him to the No. 4 Unit. The leaders in Unit No.4 tied him to a steel bed to torture him. After all of this extensive mental and physical abuse, Mr. Lin completely broke down mentally. In order to cover up their crimes, on December 19, 2002, the Tuanhe Labor Camp officials released Mr. Lin on medical parole after hastily making a diagnosis of "mental illness."

Ms. Xu Xiuju Suffers Mental Collapse from Torture at the Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp


Ms. Xu Xiuju, around 30 years of age, was a young executive at an industrial and commerce bank in the Jingxing Mine area of Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province. She traveled to Beijing to appeal in the summer of 2000, to tell people about the persecution of Falun Dafa. The police arrested her and inhumanly beat her. After the local public security office agents brought her back to Shijiazhuang City, she was detained for half a month at the Jingxing Detention Center. The police threatened and beat her and forced her to squat until she lost consciousness.

Later, she was taken to a treatment center and kept under twenty-four hour surveillance. She was not released for another month.

On New Year's Eve of 2001, the local police broke into her home. After they confiscated her family's property they detained her. During her twenty some days in detention, she went on a hunger strike to protest against the persecution. The police force-fed her. After she was released, the police placed her under surveillance and continually harassed her. Those who did not know the truth about the persecution expressed hostility toward her family.

In the summer of 2001, Ms. Xu Xiuju went to Beijing to appeal again. She was arrested and faced even more brutal persecution. The police in the mine area detention center locked her wrists and feet onto a bed frame. It was during a hot summer, and she could neither move nor relieve herself. After they tortured her for more than a month, they sent her to the Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp for two years. The Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp predicted that they would transform her within three days. During a night of unimaginably cruel torture, she succumbed and wrote a guarantee statement. Jail guards forced her to criticize and defame Falun Dafa and Teacher in front of a large gathering. They sent a similar statement to related departments, her work unit, and homes of her relatives and friends. She was devastated by what she had done, as she had previously chosen to follower her conscience and firmly believed in Truthfulness, Kindness and Forbearance. The jail police continued with even more inhuman and long lasting torture. Finally, her spirit was broken and she suffered a complete mental collapse.

Even though she was mentally traumatized, a policewoman hung her up on a rope. The torture caused her feet to swell and was very painful. Her agonized crying was heart rending to listen to.

Ms. Zhang Haiyan Suffers Mental Collapse and Dies after Being Tortured at the Masanjia Labor Camp


Ms. Zhang Haiyan

Ms. Zhang Haiyan, 34, lived in Wangjiazirantun, Xiyou Village, Hujia Town, Heishan County, Liaoning Province. She started to practice Falun Gong in 1996. Shortly afterwards, her poor eyesight and bowed right leg returned to normal.

After the persecution of Falun Gong began in 1999, she held firm to her belief in Falun Gong. In mid-September 2001, she went to Beijing to appeal. The Beijing police arrested her and later asked her local police and government officials to bring her back to her hometown. After she was taken back, the local police savagely beat her. Then they sent her to the Heishan Detention Center. About two months later, she was sentenced to 2 years of forced labor and transferred to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp.

While in the labor camp, she was subjected to various tortures. She was hung up for long periods of time. Her entire body was tied up, and she was beaten. In February 2003, when her family went to visit her, they noticed that her head was wrapped in gauze, her hands were badly swollen and she could not talk. Despite her condition, the labor camp authorities refused to release her.

One month later, on March 21, 2003, the labor camp informed her family to come pick her up. At that time, Ms. Zhang was completely mentally disoriented and could not take care of herself. When her family came to the labor camp, the camp authorities said to them, "We're only giving her one month off. One month later, we'll pick her up and bring her to the camp again." When she returned home, her family members found 3 deep scars on her head and neck.

In the 10 months she was home, she never dared to speak to anyone, including her husband and children. Her family members never dared to talk to her loudly, because they didn't want to scare her. Even if it was just a child yelling nearby, she would be frightened to the point that her face became pale and she shivered all over. On January 18, 2004, she passed away. Her 12-year-old survived her.

Mr. Yang Keqiang Suffers Severe Mental Trauma from Persecution in Tianshui City


Mr. Yang Keqiang, male, 59 years old, is a worker at the passenger transportation branch of Tianshui Motor Transportation Corporation. He began to practice Falun Dafa in 1998. Before practicing, Mr. Yang suffered from many diseases such as stomach distention, bronchiectasis and so on. Sometimes, when his bronchial tubes enlarged, he would spit up blood and had to be frequently hospitalized because of this. He spent a lot of money, yet his diseases were not cured. After he started to practice Falun Dafa, in a short period of time all his illnesses and pain disappeared.

On May 8, 2002, he took a banner that read, "Falun Dafa is good" and hung it in front of the city government. Policemen from the Qincheng District Police Department arrested him. On the same day (May 8), the Qincheng police sent plainclothes officers to follow Mr. Yang's wife and then they broke into the courtyard of their house. A policeman with the last name Yang beat and kicked Mr. Yang's wife. When she tried to defend herself, he hit her even harder. When the police left, they took her with them as well. At the police station, Mr. Yang's wife spat and coughed, and there were traces of blood in the phlegm that she spat out.

Mr. Yang was arrested and after being shackled for two days in handcuffs, was sent to the Luuergou Forced Labor Camp. Thirty-three days later, they forced his family to pay 3,000 yuan as a "guarantee fee." Group leader Pei Guilin personally received the cash. Only after receiving the money did the authorities agree to release him.

No one knows what kind of brutal torture Mr. Yang was subjected to while in the forced labor camp; however, after his release he began to act very irrationally, hitting and disturbing those around him. He kept running in and out and would not settle down. Whenever he saw knives, sticks or ropes he would grab them in his hands. For no apparent reason, when he saw his wife, he tried to beat and curse her. His family members lived in constant fear and anxiety, not knowing what terrible thing might happen next.

Practitioner Mr. Ju Yajun Killed by Force-feeding and Injection with an Unknown Drug at Changlinzi Labor Camp, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province


Mr. Ju Yajun was a peasant from Yuquan Town in Acheng City, Heilongjiang Province. He was healthy, honest, and known among villagers as a decent man. Because of his firm belief in "Truthfulness-Benevolence-Forbearance," he was taken into custody at the Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp. On the afternoon of October 21, 2001, he started a hunger strike to protest the forced labor. He was carried to the prison's clinic for force-feeding. He was injected with an unknown drug. After returning, he was not able to raise his head and remained semi-comatose. His mouth remained wide open, and he was breathing heavily. He was having a hard time speaking. He kept pointing to his arm and saying, "I was injected. I was injected." The labor camp authorities realized that he was dying. In order to evade responsibility for his murder, they sent Mr. Ju home on October 24, 2001. Mr. Ju Yajun died at 4:18 a.m. on October 26, 2001, at the age of 33. He is survived by his father, over 70 years old, and his young son.

Practitioner Ms. Shi Yueqin from Hainan Died from Mental Collapse As a Result of Persecution


Ms. Shi Yueqin, about 30 years old, lived in Wenchang City, Hainan Province, and was an employee at the Hainan Food Supplies Department. After July 20, 1999, Ms. Shi went to the provincial government to appeal for justice for Falun Gong several times. The police ransacked her home numerous times. On one occasion, they took her to a police station and interrogated her around the clock for three days and nights. She was punched and kicked, beaten with metal rods, and hung up by one hand. The police exhausted all of their torture methods. Although her body was covered with bruises, she still said, "Falun Dafa is great." The police later sent her to the Xiuying No. 1 detention center. She was not released until New Year's Day 2000.

Not long after she was released, she went to Beijing to validate the Fa for the first time. She was arrested and detained for several months. Later, she again went to Beijing's Tiananmen Square to validate Dafa. She was arrested and detained for a while before she was eventually sent to the Hainan Women's Labor Camp, where she was tortured inhumanely.

Soon afterwards, she was sent to Anning Hospital, Hainan Province's psychiatric hospital. After over one month of "treatment," the hospital eventually decided to call the labor camp and asked them to take Ms. Shi back and pay the bills. The labor camp didn't send anyone to bring her back. Instead, they asked the staff at Anning Hospital to call Ms. Shi's sister to pick her up. Her sister had to pay 3,800 Yuan for the medical costs.

Because Ms. Shi had been injected with a large amount of nerve-damaging drugs, her behavior was affected. After she returned home, she behaved very strangely. Tragically, on March 6, 2003, she jumped out of a building and died.

Practitioner Ms. Li Yanlin Is Tortured to the Point of Mental Collapse in Wuhan City, Hubei Province


Ms. Li Yanlin, a Dafa practitioner from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, was arrested in April of 2001 and sentenced to three years in jail. Ms. Li kept appealing her case because she did not acknowledge the sentence. She is currently held in a detention center in Wuhan.

When she started a hunger strike to protest the persecution, the prison force-fed her as a means of punishment. Recently, when her family members went to the detention center to deliver daily supplies to Ms. Li, they noticed that the handwriting on the receipt was not hers. Her family therefore demanded to see her. The detention center finally agreed that Ms. Li's father could see her. She had been tortured so severely that she suffered a mental collapse and did not even recognize her own father. The head of the detention center told him that this took place on December 26, 2002. Li's father asked if he could bail her out of jail so that she could get treatment. The detention center replied that they needed to report the request, and get it approved.

Practitioner Ms. Su Juzhen from Huludao City, Liaoning Province Suffers a Mental Collapse from Torture


Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Su Juzhen, in her 40s, lived in Gucheng, Qiansuo Town, Suizhong County, Huludao City, Liaoning Province. She owned a beauty salon. Ms. Su had previously suffered from severe heart disease, stomach disease, tapeworm infection, pancreatic infection, and her legs were often swollen. In 1996, Ms. Su began practicing Dafa. Soon all of her illnesses disappeared and her skin became smooth and glowing.

In July 1999, Ms. Su went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong, but was intercepted and escorted back to her hometown. In August 1999, she again went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested and sent to the Suizhong Detention Center. The police confiscated 2,000 yuan cash from her. On October 31, 1999, the authorities seized Ms. Su and sent her to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was later transferred to the Zhangshi Labor Camp, a youth correctional facility. Then she was transferred again to the Longshan Labor Camp, the Shenxin Labor Camp, Dabei Prison and other places for persecution.

During the 2002 Chinese New Year, Ms. Su's family received a notice from the labor camp requesting them to pay 1,500 Yuan to cover "medical expenses" before they could take Su Juzhen home. The true reason the perpetrators wanted to release Su Juzhen was because they had tortured her so savagely that she was mentally traumatized. Four or five people had to help her out of the labor camp. Her limbs were slack; her eyes were unfocused and non-blinking and she had a blank expression on her face. She could not eat until 22 days after she returned home. Her family later discovered unhealed wounds around her genitals and there were needle punctures on her body.

Ms. Jiang Xiaoying Suffers Mental Collapse Following Relentless Torture at Majialong Labor Camp in Jiangxi Province


Practitioner Ms. Jiang Xiaoying from Jiujiang city, Jiangxi Province is around fifty years old. She was a doctor at the Jiujiang Mental Hospital. Due to long-term torture at the Majialong Labor Camp, she suffered a mental breakdown. In 2002, she managed to escape from the Balihu Detention Center. Very soon afterwards, she was arrested again and sent to the Majialong Labor Camp. When she was carried into the labor camp, she was unconscious. She could not recall what she experienced at the camp because she was unconscious. It is suspected that the loss of memory resulted from severe beating. She often lost consciousness in the Majialong Labor Camp. However, the police claimed that she was pretending to be sick, and incited criminals in the camp to continued torturing her. In the winter, they poured cold water on her when she was unconscious and they did not allow her to dry her wet sheet. They scalded her hands with boiling water, inserted needles into her fingertips (the marks still remain) and pinched her all over her body, leaving bruises and causing her clothes to stick to the bloody wounds.

When Ms. Jiang reported the torture to the police, they did not pay any attention to her. They asked her, "Weren't you unconscious? How did you know that someone was beating you?" When she was awake, the police often slapped her or beat her. One time a criminal inmate cornered her and beat her. She also shoved a dirty shoe into Ms. Jiang's mouth. Another strong criminal beat her, causing severe wounds. When she requested medical treatment, the police refused to allow it. As her health deteriorated, she was finally sent to the Ruichang city hospital for a physical examination. She was found to have a lung infection. The brutal torture made her extremely weak and thin. She could not take care of herself.

Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Shan Yuqin from Yilan County, Heilongjiang Province Dies as a Result of Persecution (Photo)


Ms. Shan Yuqin prior to the persecution

Ms. Shan Yuqin, 48, was from Dalianhe Town, Yilan County, Heilongjiang Province. In February 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested by the Dalianhe Town Police Department. She was sent to the Yilan County Second Detention Center where the authorities confiscated 2,500 yuan of her money. In July 2000, she was detained again for 34 days and had 1,500 yuan taken from her. On November 27, 2000, the Dalianhe Town Police Department arrested her at her home and sent her to a detention center. She was detained there for 210 days and fined 960 yuan.

In 2001, the Dalianhe Town Police Department arrested her again and sentenced her to two years of forced labor. While she was detained in the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp, the police brutally beat her and shocked her with electric batons. The police cuffed her hands and hung her up. The handcuffs cut so deep into her flesh that the scars that formed on her wrists have never subsided. While beating her, they knocked out fourteen of her teeth.

Due to the long-term torture, her health got worse and worse. Half of her body was paralyzed and she couldn't take care of herself. Finally, she suffered a mental collapse. Her moods changed very quickly. One minute she was crying, the next minute she was laughing. Only because of this situation did the labor camp advise the Dalianhe Town Police Department to ask her family to pick her up. However, the town government party secretary Mao Yongfeng and the Dalianhe Town Police Department chief refused to stamp the documents needed for her release.

Later Mao Yongfeng went to the labor camp to do some business. While he was there, the camp authorities asked if they could release Ms. Shan on medical parole. Mao said, "Is she still alive? As long as she still has one breath left, keep her here." As a result, Ms. Shan was detained for six additional months, during which time her condition worsened severely. On December 30, 2003, the Yinlan County 610 Office and Ms. Shan's family picked her up. After she returned home, her health kept deteriorating and she remained bedridden. On August 20, 2004, she passed away.

Practitioner Mr. Wang Mi Suffers Mental Collapse from Torture at Daqing Prison


Mr. Wang Mi, 42, was a physical education teacher at a middle school in Jixi City, Heilongjiang Province. He started to practice Falun Dafa in 1997.

In July 2001, the Jiguan District Court in Jixi City sentenced Mr. Wang to ten years in prison because he clarified the truth about Falun Dafa. In April 2002, he was sent to the Harbin Prison. While he was in custody, he was hit on the head with an iron bar because he did the Falun Gong exercises. This caused him to be comatose for three consecutive days. He was diagnosed at the Harbin Prison Hospital with a severe cerebral concussion. Liu Pengde, leader of the hospital, talked with Jin Hengquan, head of the division Mr. Wang was in. They decided to keep Mr. Wang in the hospital for further observation and the diagnosis was archived. Wang Chunfa, an official in charge of this incident, inquired about the inmate who hit Mr. Wang with the iron bar, but no further action was taken.

On July 1, 2004, the Heilongjiang Province Prison Administration transferred over 100 Falun Gong practitioners held in the Harbin Prison to prisons at Mudanjiang, Tailai, and Daqing, in order to avoid investigation by international human rights organizations into the cruel persecution that took place there. After Mr. Wang was secretly transferred to Daqing Prison, he had a mental collapse. He didn't want to wear any clothes, suffered loss of memory, and mumbled incoherently.

Teenage Girl from Shandong Province Suffers Mental Collapse from Torture in Xin'an Forced Labor Camp, Beijing


In December 2000, Ms. Guo Xuelian, 18, distributed flyers on the Beijing streets to clarify the truth of about Falun Dafa and the persecution. Police officers arrested her and brutally tortured her at a dispatching facility in Beijing. The authorities issued an order to imprison her in the Xin'an Female Forced Labor Camp of Daxing County in Beijing.

In the labor camp, the police again brutally tortured her. One day, the police officers rushed at her and knocked her down with great force. Some straddled her body, while others twisted her arms and beat her. Then officer Zhao Lei, together with another officer surnamed Bai, used four electric batons to shock her simultaneously. The electric shock made her bleed from two areas of her head. The wounds later festered and did not heal until two years later.

We have learned that the police injected her with an unknown drug and added some unknown drugs to her meals. In as little as a few months, because of the violent torture and the forced drug abuse, Ms. Gao suffered a mental collapse.

Three years after she returned home from the forced labor camp, this girl whom the authorities in the labor camp devastated, is still in the same state. She often runs around for no reason. Her speech is still incomprehensible. She often strips off her clothes and bullies or curses others, including her own parents. In tears over these difficult circumstances, her parents have been tending to her with great sorrow these past three years.

Falun Dafa Practitioner Dr. Li Huiyun, Associate Professor at Hebei Science and Technology University, Suffers a Mental Disorder after Being Tortured


Dr. Li Huiyun, 41 years old, was a nationally recognized associate professor at the Hebei Science and Technology University in Hebei Province. Officials at the university persecuted her for a long period of time. They intentionally falsified a "serious academic failure incident" to implicate Dr. Li, and forbade her from going abroad to receive the awards she had won. They forced Dr. Li to stop teaching and demoted her to doing janitorial work for the university. On numerous occasions, she talked to the university's General Communist Party Secretary, Wang Yinyin, about her situation, and told people the truth about Falun Gong. She often requested the restoration of her basic rights. Instead of looking into her case, Wang Yinyin intensified the persecution against her even more.

On February 24, 2004, both Dr. Li and her husband were taken to the "Hebei Law Education Training Center" for forced brainwashing. Dr. Li was not allowed to sleep for many days, and she was beaten and burnt with lighted cigarette butts. As a result of the continued torture, she became mentally disoriented. On August 10, 2004, Dr. Li was transferred to the Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp in Hebei Province. Shortly afterwards, she was hospitalized. While Dr. Li was detained in the forced labor camp, her family was unaware of her situation. Only after she was hospitalized for two weeks did her family find out about her condition.

The forced labor camp threatened the hospital, demanding that they refuse to allow Dr. Li's family to visit her. Dr. Li's mother, who is in her 70s, had to kneel down before the camp officials to beg for a visit. She was thus accompanied by two plain-clothes police officers to see her daughter.

In November of 2004, the university where Dr. Li worked issued an order to fire her from her position while she remained hospitalized.

Mr. Zhao Shenxing, an Expert in Growing Mushrooms, Suffers Mental Collapse after Being Tortured


Mr. Zhao Shenxing, over 50, lived in a suburb of Wuan City, Hebei Province. He was one of Wuan City's expert mushroom growers. As a Dafa practitioner, Mr. Zhao always acted according to the principles of "Truthfulness, Compassion, and Forbearance." When customers came to buy mushrooms, he always dealt fairly with them.

Around June 7, 2004, Division I Director Zhang Lihua and Deputy Director Zhang Taibao from the Wuan City Police Department went to Zhao's home searching for him. They took him to the Wuan City Detention Center, where Gao Fei from the 610 Office stretched Mr. Zhao arms and handcuffed one of his hands on the lower bed and his other hand to the higher bed of the two-tiered beds. A group of officers beat him with rubber clubs and shocked him with electric batons. Guo Fei, from Ci County, beat Mr. Zhao so severely that he broke the wooden club he was using to beat him.

Mr. Zhao was so brutally tortured that he was severely damaged both physically and mentally. His eyes looked dull. He also ate whatever was in front of him, including feces. Officer Wang Zhiming then spread lies, saying that Zhao Shenxing was just pretending to be mentally unbalanced and that it was the practice of Falun Gong that made him like that. During that time, they also injected him with unknown drugs.

Ms. Wang Yuzhen Developed Schizophrenia As a Result of Persecution at the Wangcun Forced Labor Camp

Ms. Wang Yuzhen, 41, is from Beijiang Village in Xiacun Town, Rushan City, Weihai, Shandong Province. Her entire family has suffered persecution for over five years. In June 2004, the Rushan police arrested Ms. Wang. After cruel torture, she was sent to the Wangcun Forced Labor Camp to serve a three-year term.

In mid-January 2005, her family received a phone call from the labor camp telling them to send money for Ms. Wang's treatment. Later, the family received another call. This time the labor camp authorities told them not to send money but to pay a visit. The authorities told the family that Ms. Wang was quite ill. Ms. Wang's daughter and relatives then went to the labor camp. The officers did not dare to let them in and asked them to wait outside the gate. When the daughter saw that the officers held her mother, she burst into tears. Her mother, who used to be strong and healthy, had been in the labor camp for only six months and, as a result of the torture, could no longer move her limbs, and apparently suffered from schizophrenia.

The officers dropped Ms. Wang outside the gate and quickly went inside to lock the gate. Her daughter was crying and shouting, "I want my Mom as she was. She is a good person. How could you abuse her to so badly?" The officers in the labor camp never showed their faces. Finally, the daughter had to spend 500 yuan and took her mother home by taxi.

Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Yang Shuhui, Persecuted to a State of Mental Collapse, at the Jiamusi Forced Labor Camp


Ms. Yang Shuhui is over 40 years old. In September 2000, she suffered a mental collapse due to the persecution she experienced at the Jiamusi Forced Labor Camp. In spite of her condition, police officers at the labor camp have continued to torture Ms. Yang on a regular basis. Three or four officers often beat her. Police Captain He Qiang once told her, "You want to go home, right? We just won't let you!"

In September 2000, guard Lin Wei hung Ms. Yang upside down by her ankles. Ms. Yang was in such pain that she screamed continuously, and every practitioner in the building sympathized with her and couldn't help but weep upon hearing her cries. Even before this incident, Ms. Yang had been handcuffed for two weeks, and repeatedly lost consciousness while being subjected to the "Big Back-Cuff" torture. (1) As a result of long-term physical and mental torture, Ms. Yang became mentally unstable.

On one occasion, Li Xiujin, a labor camp officer, was on duty. When the inmates were on their way back after dinner, Ms. Yang looked around, as she was not mentally stable. Li Xiujin twisted both Ms. Yang's arms toward the back and Ms. Yang cried. Li then asked another officer to take the inmates away. Later, when Ms. Yang returned, the other inmates asked her what happened. She kept crying and was not able to talk.

When Ms. Yang's illness worsened, she was not able to fall sleep. She missed her home. Sometimes she did not wear shoes and ran around barefooted. Other times she cried out loud. Each time she was beaten cruelly.


The Communist Party and Jiang Zemin's genocidal persecution against Falun Gong has been going on for more than five years. Each and every tragic and inhumane case in this report documents not only the bloody debt which the Chinese Communist and the Jiang faction owe Falun Gong practitioners who believe in "Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance," but also the heinous sins the Chinese Communists, the Jiang's faction, and its followers have committed.

"This enormous sin of the ages, this enormous sin whereby the [perpetrators] are brimming with evil and guilty of countless crimes throughout the firmament, has enraged all of the gods in the colossal firmament!" (From "Turning the Wheel Towards the Human World"

Gods' punishment of the evildoers and of the Chinese Communist Party for persecuting Falun Dafa practitioners in the human world will arrive very soon.

(1) The "Big Back-Cuff" torture: a position in which a person's hands are handcuffed behind the back with one hand over the shoulder and the other hand against the lower back. The perpetrators then apply a great deal of force to pull the two hands toward one another and handcuff the two hands together. This is also known as "Carrying a Sword on the Back." This position causes excruciating pain and is often used to torture Falun Gong practitioners.

February 22, 2005