(Clearwisdom.net) Shanghai Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Ding Youmu, 65 years old, was taken into custody by police at the beginning of June 2001 on the premise of having a simple discussion with other practitioners. The police subsequently ransacked Mr. Ding's home without presenting a search warrant. Later, a warrant for indefinite detention was brought to his family for their signature. Mr. Ding was then sentenced to two years of forced labor. He subsequently went blind in both eyes and suffered memory loss due to the inhumane living conditions and slave labor. However, he remained determined in his belief in Falun Dafa. Although Mr. Ding was finally released in September 2002, the lawless officials never stopped harassing him after he returned home. Mr. Ding Youmu developed a malignant tumor and died on December 18, 2004.

Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Xie (his full name is still being investigated), in his sixties, practiced Dafa with his entire family. His son was sentenced to one year of forced labor in 2000, and his wife to two years of forced labor in 2001. In August 2003, his son was again arrested, and this time was sentenced to four and a half years in prison. This took place while his wife was still in the labor camp. Mr. Xie endured a great deal of suffering during five years of separation from his wife and son. During this time, he remained firm in his belief in Falun Dafa and continued to expose the persecution and to "clarify the truth." The police continued increasing the harassment against Mr. Xie, which harmed him both mentally and physically, to the extent that he could not live in peace. Mr. Xie died on October 12, 2004 as a result of this relentless persecution. In the final hours of his life, Mr. Xie reiterated his steadfast belief in Falun Dafa.

Mr. Zhang Baoqing, 50 years old, was also a Falun Dafa practitioner in Shanghai. He suffered terminal cirrhosis of the liver and had to take indefinite medical leave. After Mr. Zhang began practicing Falun Gong in 1996, his health was restored and he was able to return to work. In 1999, Mr. Zhang went to the People's Square in the city center to validate the righteousness of Falun Dafa. Ever since, officials have kept a close eye on him. They continued to threaten him with dismissal from his job or to prevent his child from enrolling in school, in order to coerce him to give up practicing Falun Dafa. Mr. Zhang's normal life was completely shattered, and in a few months his liver problem resurfaced. Zhang Baoqing died in the spring of 2003 as a result of this persecution. Before he passed away, he attributed his death to Jiang Zemin's persecution, and he expressed his firm belief in Falun Dafa.