Mr. Gao Hongfei, a student from Jilin Industrial University and also a dedicated Falun Dafa practitioner, was one of the victims of the communist government's persecution. While being detained at the Chaoyanggou Forced Labour Camp, he was forced to go through brainwashing and torture sessions, resulting in severe injury to his lungs. Fearing that his death would create problems for the management, the camp released him. Mr. Gao's father, unable to withstand the duress and constant threats from the authorities, passed away. His aged mother was forced to return to the workforce and make a living to pay off her son's huge medical expenses.

High Resolution Picture High Resolution Picture

Practitioner Mr. Gao Hongfei, 29, came from Fanshi County, Shanxi Province. He went to Beijing several times to clarify the truth. In October 2000, he was arrested by the local police from Changchun City, Jilin Province, and secretly detained in Tiehua Detention Center for 37 days. He was then sentenced to Fenjin Forced Labor Camp in Jilin Province. While serving his sentence, Mr. Gao was subjected to very inhumane treatment.

Fenjin Forced Labor Camp officers tried hard to work on Falun Dafa practitioners. Because it was winter and no field labor could be done, the practitioners were locked up in cages and forced to sit on sharp, corrugated boards. After a few days, their buttocks would start to bleed. Anyone found closing his eyes while sitting was reported and soundly beaten. The guards' brutal behavior was beyond what ordinary people can imagine.

It has been the camp's policy to "re-educate" detainees sent in for practicing Falun Dafa, first by brainwashing, and later through torture until the practitioners totally give up their faith. During the brainwashing sessions, the practitioners are constantly fed with distorted and slanderous materials in both audio-visual and written format. Unyielding practitioners will then be subjected to physical abuse until they break down physically or mentally. The more durable ones will have their sentences extended, meetings with visitors refused, and even the basic toiletry supplies from home cut off.

For three months, Mr. Gao suffered under these conditions in Fenjin Forced Labor Camp. In March 2003, he was transferred to Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp, Jilin Province, which proved to be even harsher. Rather fragile physically, Mr. Gao was not allowed to read the Fa or practice the exercises, and the long hours of forced labor wore him down quickly. By the end of 2001, he fell very sick. He was diagnosed with severe lung problems and his days were numbered. To avoid taking responsibility for his death, Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp released him to go home.

After he was released, Mr. Gao was sent to a hospital for treatment and was told he was not going to live long. After returning home, however, his strong faith and constant Fa study slowly brought him back on the road to recovery. After eight months in bed, he returned to normal.

Mr. Gao was still under constant surveillance, and the local police officers again came and threatened his parents. Mr. Gao's father, unable to take the harassment, died under duress. They also confiscated his Falun Dafa books and other related materials.

In March 2003, on his way to Taiyuan, Mr. Gao was arrested by the Yangqu County police and locked up in the Xinghualing Police Station to await sentencing. At that time, the whole country was facing the SARS emergency. Since Mr. Gao's case did not meeting the requirements for imprisonment, he was sent back to his home district police station, where the local police officers confiscated his motorcycle and his computer and extorted 3,000 yuan from him as "bail" for his release.

The frequent threats and extortions drove Mr. Gao's family to its financial limit and forced his aged mother to continue working to make ends meet and pay off the debts incurred by his medical expenses.