On the morning of July 20, 2004, on Second Street in Cuihuangkou Township in the Wuqing District of Tianjin City, Dafa disciple Mr. Wu Jianzhong was watching "The True Story of Falun Gong" in his home, when Zhang Hai, an instructor of the Cuihuangkou Township Police Station, along with three other people, broke into his home and took him to the police station.

At the Cuihuangkou Township Police Station, five to six police officers held him by the hair as they kicked and beat him. Another Dafa disciple, Xiao Wenxia, who was arrested at the same time, told the police that they couldn't beat people. Police officer Mo Zhongqin slapped Xiao Wenxia four times and then handcuffed Mr. Wu to the radiator pipes.

The Cuihuangkou police were not able to extort a confession from Mr. Wu Jianzhong, so they transferred him to the Wuqing District jail that same night. Resisting the persecution, Mr. Wu began a hunger strike. When he was in shock, the police roughly handcuffed him and took him to the district hospital to get shots, for which they demanded 40 yuan from his family. After he was brought back from the hospital, the police directed a dozen convicts to hold him down on a bed. Then a prison doctor surnamed Cheng forced a tube into his nose to force-feed him, causing him to vomit much blood and to have breathing difficulties. He returned to normal only after a long time.

In the jail's warehouse, the police repeatedly directed convicts to hold Mr. Wu on a wooden bench. Pinching his nose and mouth, another convict would stuff a plastic bottle filled with corn gruel into his mouth and squeeze the contents into his mouth. Mr. Wu's mouth was cut in the process.

The police at the jail also directed the convicts to pummel Mr. Wu whenever he practiced the exercises.

In the jail the police unlawfully interrogated Mr. Wu three times. When they couldn't get an oral confession, the Wuqing Police Sub-bureau sentenced him to one year in a forced labor camp. Twenty-two days later, Mr. Wu was sent to Shuangkou Forced Labor Camp in Tianjin City. He was locked in the third team. Team lead Wu Mingxing ordered drug-addicted convicts to work in shifts to "transform" Mr. Wu by means of force. They wouldn't let him sleep for almost 24 hours. He was only allowed to sleep at 3:00 a.m. and had to wake up at 4:00 a.m. He was forced to sit on the small stool to watch videos slandering Falun Gong. He had to sit with his back straight and his legs together and look straight ahead. They beat him whenever he made the slightest movement. The police beat him this way three times in a small locked room. At first, they continuously beat him all at the same time. When they got tired, they alternated. To this day Mr. Wu's spine remains numb from the beatings. This torture continued for around 12 days, until he finally wrote the so-called three statements against his will. They then let up slightly.

Every morning at 5:30 a.m., Mr. Wu had to get up. Aside from eating three meals, he had to work, without any breaks, until bedtime between 11:00 and 12:00 in the evening. When the workload was heavy, he wasn't allowed to sleep the entire night. He was only allowed a bathroom break twice a day. Sometimes he had to defecate in his trousers.

During the unusually hot summer of 2004, for over 40 days the jailed practitioners, including Mr. Wu, weren't allowed to shower or wash their clothes. Everyone was completely engulfed in the stench. They only had five minutes every morning to use the toilet. If they exceeded five minutes they would be beaten. The sanitation was very bad. Washing, rinsing and drinking water were all from the same container. There weren't any public utensils to fetch water. Everyone had to use his or her cleaning and drinking utensils to fetch water.

After writing the "three statements" Mr. Wu was very despondent. In early March 2005 he suddenly declared that all the statements disrespectful towards Dafa that he had written against his will were all completely invalid! Wu Mingxing ordered a convict to make Mr. Wu work during the day and sit on a stool all through the night to watch videos slandering Falun Gong. The convict was to beat him as well. After the convict finished beating him, his feet were crippled and the backs of his hands were swollen for many days. Mr. Wu Jianzhong couldn't take it anymore, and against his will he again wrote words disrespectful to Dafa. He was finally released on September 6, 2005.

On September 29, 2005, around 10:00 a.m., Cuihuanghou Police Station instructor Zhang Hai went to Mr. Wu Jianzhong's home to search and confiscate possessions. After seeing Dafa books and truth clarifying materials, they took Mr. Wu, his wife, and a neighboring Dafa disciple to the police station.

They searched their home without a warrant. They took the family's computer and held it at the police station. Only after Mr. Wu's wife and neighbor told the police, "Mr. Wu Jianzhong's health has become extremely precarious after being in the forced labor camp. If he is put in jail again, his death will be your responsibility," were they released and allowed to return home at 10:00 p.m. They had been held in the station for 12 hours.