A photo of Ms. Ren Shujie and her son taken before the illegal arrest that eventually led to her death

Ms. Ren Shujie was a Falun Gong practitioner from Shenyang City, Liaoning Province. Because she was determined to practice Falun Gong, she was illegally detained in Longshan Forced Labor Camp and Masanjia Forced Labor Camp for three years and suffered many types of inhuman torture. She was not released until December 24, 2004 when she was extremely frail. Because her esophagus was congested, everything she ate was regurgitated along with a discharge from her esophagus. In addition, the regurgitation caused the upper esophagus to become swollen and press against her throat. In the end, many purple marks appeared on her body. Her lower legs turned purple. This condition continued until she was literally starved to death. Ms. Ren died on September 1, 2005, leaving her teenage son behind.

High Resolution Picture
Shortly before her death, Ren Shujie was emaciated and barely breathing

Ms. Ren Shujie died at the age of 42. She lived in the Tiexi District, Shenyang City, Liaoning Province. She owned an apparel boutique in Donghu Market, Yuhong District. After she started practicing Falun Gong, both her health and moral character improved. She became enthusiastic in helping others. Her clients and fellow storeowners in the area regarded her as a wonderful person. On May 21, 2002, policemen from Tiexi District Public Security Bureau in Shenyang City and Tiexi District Zhonggong Police Station, including Liu Qing, Yu Yongbin and other policemen, arrested Ms. Ren because of her practice of Falun Gong and illegally sentenced her to three years in Longshan Forced Labor Camp under the watch of its No. 2 Division.

Once she was there, Ms. Ren Shujie went on a hunger strike for as long as 64 days to protest the illegal detention. During the process, her health was severely compromised. After she had been on the hunger strike for just 15 days, the captain of the No. 2 Division Ms. Tang Yubao started to subject Ms. Ren to brainwashing and torture despite Ms. Ren's weak physical condition. The torturers once deprived Ms. Ren of sleep for seven days and seven nights. Once when Ms. Ren tried to go to bed at the camp's normal bedtime, Tang Yubao tortured her with two electric batons for 30 minutes. There were other division leaders at the scene, including Liang Hong and Ma Wei. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Gong Huijie, Ms. Sun Ying and Ms. Sun Baoju were also at the scene and witnessed Tang Yubao's crime. Because Ms. Ren Shujie refused to compromise her belief in Falun Gong, Tang Yubao flew into a rage and threatened her, "If you refuse to renounce Falun Gong, I will transfer you to Dabei Prison after the 16th Assembly of the National People's Congress."

Besides forced brainwashing, Longshan Forced Labor Camp also subjects Falun Gong practitioners to slave labor every day. Practitioners are forced to make candles for export from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The workroom is located on the second floor. Every day practitioners have to carry box after box of wax between the first and the second floor, which takes a severe toll on their backs. On February 4, 2003, Ms. Ren Shujie, Ms. Sun Yan and Ms. Su Weihuan started a group hunger strike to protest the inhumane slave labor. Nevertheless, policewoman Tang Yubao continued to subject them to slave labor. She also threatened them, "Don't you dare stop working."

Facing the harsh persecution, Ms. Ren Shujie escalated her protest by swallowing a foreign object on the fifth day of her persecution. [Note: China's persecution of Falun Gong is atrocious, but it is wrong for a cultivator to deliberately injure her own body as a way of protest. A Falun Gong practitioner must not do so, for it directly violates Falun Gong's cultivation principles. Only truly righteous thoughts and actions will prevail over and disintegrate the persecution.] Two days later, the prison guards felt guilty and feared that she might actually die, so they finally brought Ms. Ren Shujie to Shenyang College of Medicine's No. 2 Hospital, but the hospital refused to admit her. Then Tang Yubao, Division Leader Wang Chunmei and Division Leader Liang Zhen brought her to the Shenyang City Army General Hospital. According to the hospital's diagnosis, Ms. Ren's esophagus was ruptured and the rupture had festered because it was not treated immediately. The physician removed the foreign object and set up a temporary web inside the esophagus to keep the esophagus open. He told the prison guards to bring her back to the hospital within eight days and have the web removed. But the prison guards purposely delayed the return visit to the hospital. They waited for a few days before they brought her back. The physician told them that, because of the delay, the temporary web had now become part of the esophagus and could no longer be removed. He added that she could only have fluids for the rest of her life.

Since then, Ms. Ren Shujie was unable to eat normally. Her health got worse each day, but she continued to suffer from imprisonment. In mid-June 2003, a disabled elderly Falun Gong practitioner, Ms. Huang Shixiang, told Tang Yubao that they must remove the photograph of the founder of Falun Gong from the ground [placed there by the labor camp authorities as a provocative sign of disrespect], but Tang Yubao beat her and attacked her with an electric baton. When Ren Shujie told Tang Yubao that she should treat elderly practitioners with kindness, Tang Yubao also attacked her with an electric baton and subjected her to beating and kicking. Ren Shujie's face became swollen and tilted to one side. Her eyes were swollen and bruised, and bled. Her body was covered with many bruises and injuries.

On March 22, 2004, Longshan Forced Labor Camp transferred Ren Shujie to the No. 3 Division at Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was forced to sleep on a cold floor for as long as three months. Ren Shujie's face was swollen. Her legs also became very swollen and lost flexibility. Ren Shujie once went on a hunger strike to protest. By the time she was released on December 24, 2004, Ren Shujie had become extremely weak because she hadn't been able to eat normally for a very long time.

By now her esophagus had contracted and, thus, compressed the web. The web could no longer keep her esophagus open. Instead, the esophagus was blocked because of the web. Everything Ms. Ren ate was regurgitated along with a discharge from her esophagus. In addition, the regurgitation caused the upper esophagus to become swollen and press against her throat. In the end, she lost the ability to speak. Many purple marks appeared on her body. Her lower legs turned dark. Ms. Ren literally starved to death on September 1, 2005. Her eyes were wide open when she died. She left a teenage son behind, who lost his mother forever.

Former president Jiang Zemin and the Chinese Communist Party have resorted to many atrocious means to torture and murder innocent Falun Gong practitioners and tear apart countless families. This is China's true human rights situation under the Chinese Communist Party's rule! Please help stop the repressive behavior and brutal persecution still taking place in the Chinese Communist regime.