(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Jia Qinggui, 59 years old, was a senior electrical engineer with the Lingyuan Steel Company in Liaoning Province. He started to practice Falun Gong in 1994 and benefited greatly from it. He went to Beijing to appeal on April 24 and October 24, 1999, to clarify the truth to the officials about Falun Gong. However, he was detained twice, fined 5,000 yuan, and sentenced to a labor camp for three years. He was laid off from his job in 1999 because he practices Falun Dafa.Since his appeal on April 25, 1999, he has been constantly monitored, and his family harassed. There are often phone calls in the middle of the night to see if he is at home and to warn him not to leave home.On July 17, 1999, Mr. Jia was arrested at his workplace and detained in the local police department for 24 hours.On July 19, 1999, he was arrested at home and his home was searched. He was released after one month's detention and paying a 5,000-yuan fine in so-called "bail."On October 24, 1999, Mr. Jia was again arrested at the reception station of the China Government Office in Beijing. He was detained, his home was searched, and he was illegally sent to a labor camp for three years. He went on a hunger strike for 50 days in protest. At the end of 1999, he was sent back to the Lingyuan Detention Center from Chaoyang Forced Labor Camp. The authorities attempted to sentence him to prison but were unsuccessful after half a year, so they sent him back to labor camp.

At the end of 2000, Mr. Jia was sent to Fushun Forced Labor Camp to be persecuted. The police guards used all kinds of tactics to try to force him to give up Falun Gong but they were unsuccessful, so he was sent to a female team. The guards ordered collaborators to torture him. He was tortured to such an extreme that his head was swollen and painful, his face was gory and turned dark blue, and his eyes were congested and swollen shut. However, the collaborators still laughed at him. They threw him up high into the air and let him fall down to the ground, grabbed him by the head and smashed him into a wall, and deprived him of sleep. He could not see clearly, and he felt as if all of his internal organs were injured. After a collaborator inmate kicked him and bumped his head against the heater, Mr. Jia passed out. The police guards took him back to the male team for more torture, and he vomited blood. Mr. Jia wanted to check into the hospital, but the authorities told him to pay for it himself. They did not allow him to see the test results, telling him that he was not hurt. In 2001, they people sent him to a new cell to be tortured.

After suffering through such a long period of torture, Mr. Jia Qinggui was very weak. When he bought lunch one day at the beginning of August 2001, he slipped on some rice soup that had been spilt on the floor and broke his left femur. He was taken to the clinic, where a guard twisted his thigh, causing him excruciating pain. One month later, he demanded to check in to a hospital. Again, he was not allowed to see the results, but he was allowed to recuperate at home.

Mr. Jia's left leg is now shorter than his right one and he cannot walk normally.