On November 30, 2004, police officers from the Xishan District National Security Department abducted Ms. Yang Suhong, 23, from Kunming City, and took her to Dabanqiao Provincial Women's Forced Labor Camp in Kunming City. Ms. Yang is physically handicapped. She is only 30 inches tall and weighs 50 pounds.

Ms. Yang Suhong lives in the Jishan Neighborhood administered by the Majie Office in the Xishan District. She used to suffer from an incurable illness before she began to practice Falun Dafa in February 1998. Beginning when she was eight years old, she developed diarrhea, a distended abdomen, abdominal pain, and weight loss. For over a decade, her parents visited every big hospital in Kunming City, looking for medicine. Doctors once diagnosed her with "tubercular-peritonitis" and "leukemia." She was in critical condition twice while receiving medical treatment in the hospitals. She tried various western medicines, Chinese herbs, and special folk remedies. Her parents spent all their savings, including the money they had saved to build a house, but without results. Because Ms. Yang had taken injections and pills for so long, she did not grow much. She still looked like a small child when she was eighteen.

Ms. Yang Suhong was again admitted to the Kunming Tumor Hospital after her illness reccurred in 1998. The hospital diagnosed "the final stage of bone cancer." The doctor told her mother that she would only live for a few more months and asked the family to grant her as many wishes as they could.

Fortunately Ms. Yang Suhong obtained Falun Dafa in February 1998, while she was waiting to die. Since then, her mind and body have changed dramatically, and all her symptoms gradually disappeared. She was able to get rid of the medicine container that had been with her for over ten years. Later when she went to the hospital to get a statement to apply for a "handicapped certificate," all the doctors were shocked and said, "We can't believe that you are still alive!" Her parents were very happy to see the changes in her. All her neighbors were surprised as well. Many people started to practice Falun Gong because of her.

Just when Yang Suhong was enjoying her life again after regaining her health, the persecution against Falun Gong started on July 20, 1999. Disaster soon fell on her and her family. Policemen from the 610 Office in the Xishan District and the National Security Section often came to harass them and search through her home..

On July 3, 2002, the police found a copy of Zhuan Falun and a few of Master's new articles in her school bag. Then they began to conduct an illegal interrogation, forcing her to answer questions, such as when she began to practice Falun Gong, whom she had contact with, and where she obtained Falun Dafa materials. A month later, the police department personnel illegally ransacked Yang Suhong's home three times. After that police from the Xishan District National Security Section searched her belongings at her school. When they failed to turn up anything in their searches, they took away her graduation paper, entitled "Good Deeds Will Be Rewarded and Evil Acts Will Be Met with Retribution," as the "evidence of her crime." Soon after that, the Association for the Handicapped, the school security guards, and her teachers all had "talks" with her with the intention of intimidating her into giving up practicing Falun Gong. Yang Suhong said to them, "Aren't you forcing me to again live a life plagued by illness when you ask me to give up practicing Falun Gong? I had enough of that kind of life. Now the illness has disappeared because of my practicing Falun Gong. I don't burden my parents any more, and I don't make trouble for the government. What a good thing it is! Why doesn't the government think about what is best for its people, learn about their suffering, learn about Falun Gong, and bring benefits to its people? Why, instead, does the government act against the wishes of innocent people and push them into disaster without considering the consequences?"

Yang Suhong wrote a letter to the Association for the Handicapped, reporting that she was being persecuted for her steadfast belief in Falun Gong. The 610 Office and the Xishan District National Security Section again illegally summoned her for trial, asking her why she wrote the letter to the Association of the Handicapped and who had helped her to write the letter.

On August 24, 2004, the Kunming City Court summoned practitioners Han Zhenkun and Mr. and Mrs. Guo Juan for a public hearing citing violation of laws and regulations, but they did not allow anyone else to attend the hearing. Other practitioners and family members waited outside the courtroom to show their concern about the hearing. Policemen with the National Security Section in each district harassed and videotaped them. Because of the videotapes, those practitioners were soon abducted and summoned for trial. Ms. Yang Suhong was also among them.

On September 17, 2004, the Xishan National Security police again broke into Yang Suhong's home and abducted her after ransacking her home. She was detained in the Xishan Detention center for a month. As a result, both her mental and physical health deteriorated quickly. On November 30, 2004, while she was resting at home, the police tricked her into coming outside, pushed her into the police vehicle, and took her to Dabanqiao Provincial Women's Forced Labor Camp in Kunming City. The 2004 notice from Kunming Forced Labor Camp, numbered 4372, showed that her sign-in date was October 19, 2004, but the forced reform period written with a fountain pen was from November 30, 2004, to November 29, 2006. The reasons they gave for sentencing her to a two-year forced labor reform were:

  1. Persisting in cultivating Falun Gong.
  2. Distributing Falun Gong VCD's to local families and to the home of the head of Section Three from September 10 to September 16, 2004.

December 12, 2004