(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Zhao Yingqi was a former employee of the Retirees' Management Section, Lanfang Village Mine, Guye District, Tangshan City, Hebei Province. In 1987, he was seriously injured in an underground mine accident. He was hospitalized for 9 years and after several surgeries, his left leg was shortened by 5 centimeters. He was categorized as grade 3 disabled, and before leaving the hospital, a grade 4 disabled, which meant a complete loss of work ability. After he learned Falun Gong, he asked to leave the hospital. After a period of time of practicing Falun Gong, Zhao went from relying on crutches and a wheelchair to riding bicycles and tricycles by himself. Many people witnessed his remarkable recovery.

Mr. Zhao Yingqi

Although Chinese law prohibits sending a disabled person to a forced labor camp, Zhao was illegally detained at the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp in Tangshan City beginning November 20, 2002, because he persisted in practicing Falun Gong. He died the following month after being brutally tortured.

The guards at the camp claimed that Zhao died of normal causes. In reality, Zhao had injuries all over his body. His head was collapsed, a piece of flesh over his right ribcage was missing, and bruises extended from his fingers to his back and neck. His eyes were still open, his hands and nails were blue, and his stomach, which was first found shrunken, swelled a little after being injected with some water.

High Resolution Picture High Resolution Picture

Injuries on Zhao's Body

Mr. Zhao died at the age of 59 on December 30, 2002, the same day when he was sent to the hospital. The doctor wanted to send him to the morgue twice, but did not do so because Zhao's family did not agree. On his death certificate, the time of death was recorded as 8:02 pm, January 2, 2003.

The following is the appeal letter by Zhao's wife, Ms. Zhao Yanru.

Procurators and Judges:

My Name is Zhao Yanru. I am Zhao Yingqi's wife. My home address is No.20, 15th Floor, Building 77, Nanfang Village Mine, Guye District, Tangshan City. My husband was tortured to death at the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp on December 30, 2002 because he practices Falun Gong. The forced labor camp, however, lied and tried to cover up the real reason of his death. The officers who killed my husband are still at large. I here request you to check this case and bring the offenders to justice.

The following is a description of my husband:

Zhao Yingqi was a former employee of the Retirees' Management Section, Lanfang Village Mine, Guye District, Tangshan City, Hebei Province. In 1987, he was seriously injured when working in an underground mine. He had a compound fracture on his left thigh. Due to a surgery mistake, he had to undergo three additional bone implant surgeries and was hospitalized for 9 years. As a result, his left leg shortened by 5 centimeters. He relied on crutches to get around, and he could not bend his knee. It was difficult for him to defecate as he could not squat down.

He was a group leader and safety inspector at his job, and was a hard worker. Many times he went to work on Sundays, and was chosen as a model worker. He is an honest and righteous person, and enjoyed helping others.

He asked to leave the hospital after his condition improved from practicing Falun Gong. The head of the hospital said: "It's good that Zhao practices Falun Gong." At the Hospital, my husband was categorized as a grade 3 disabled, and after leaving the hospital, a grade 4 disabled, which meant a total loss of work ability. Practicing Falun Gong cured him both physically and mentally. He went from using crutches and a wheelchair to riding bicycles and tricycles. He takes the children to and from school, goes shopping, and handles our business. His face became rosy. His nasosinusitis that troubled him for over 20 years and hemorrhoids were all cured. People who knew him said he became stronger than a young man. Many people witnessed it.

After July 20, 1999, the Security Department and the Retiree's Section of the Nanfang Village Mine tricked, arrested, and harassed my husband many times. They also fined him 2,000 yuan, deducted 2,500 yuan of his pension as a deposit, and reduced his monthly pension to only 195 yuan. He was illegally detained at the Mine Well Group for more than ten months. My husband developed heart problems from being tortured in the detention center and not being able to practice the Falun Dafa exercises. The retirees' management section asked me to pay them money in front of the hospital. It was cold, I did not have money and had to take care of my granddaughter-in-law, and I could not agree to the security department's conditions. Later, Li Heping from the security department and Gu Laicun, the Communist Party Secretary of the Retirees' Management Section, came to my home to threaten me.

Many times, Li Heping has threatened Zhao Yingqi that "We'll cancel your grade 4 disabled person' benefits and send you to a forced labor camp." Since I did not pay Li Heping off, he did not allow me to see my husband even when I delivered meals for him.

On October 17, 2002, my husband was abducted to the mine security department. We didn't see him for a month. It's known he was beaten. On November 20, 2002, he was transferred to the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp in Tangshan City. At 4pm on December 30, 2002, Ai Zhenmin of the First Brigade at the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp came to my home. He told me that Zhao Yingqi had a sudden brain hemorrhage of about 150 cc and was under emergency treatment. I asked, "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Ai replied, "We couldn't reach you!" Before I could go see my husband at the hospital, I had to first calm down my 87-year-old mother, and ask my neighbor to tell my elder son to go to the hospital to visit his father. Then I went with Zhao Yingqi's second sister to the hospital. We arrived around 6pm and there were many police officers guarding the ward.

After making requests to the doctors, my sister-in-law and I went to see my husband. His eyes were open. A 3mm diameter plastic tube was inserted into his mouth. He was very thin with a shrunken stomach. His fingers were as thin as chopsticks. The forced labor camp told us that Zhao Yingqi was happy, ate good food, and was well taken care of. Before we had a chance to carefully examine my husband, we were driven out of the room. Zhao Yingqi was strong and healthy at home, but died within 40 days at the forced labor camp. At around 7pm, the hospital wanted to send my husband to the morgue room. My sister-in-law urged while crying, "Please wait for a moment, let his children have a final look at him." After a short while, the hospital again wanted to move him to the morgue room, but my sister-in-law again urged them to wait. I quickly called my friends and relatives to inform our children to hurry up to the hospital. My husband's third sister bought him burial garments. My second son arrived and took a quick look at his father. I asked the doctors to make a final effort to save his life. But they said there was no hope. When my elder daughter and son came, they were not allowed to see their father.

The next day (December 31, 2002), my children and I requested to clean up my husband's body and put on his clothes. Only the children were allowed in. After a while, they came out to ask me, "Why is father so thin? His eyes were still open, so we closed them." Later it was found that a piece of flesh over his left ribcage was missing. There were bruises on both sides of his buttocks. His head was deformed and appeared collapsed. Traces of blood were found on the right corner of his mouth to his ear. His fingers were bruised, which extended to his neck and back. On December 30, 2002, his stomach was shrunken but swelled up a little after they injected some water into his abdomen. My daughter wanted to shave her father, but was stopped by her uncle (Zhao Yingqi's younger half-brother.) Zhao Yingqi had no clothes on at that time, yet my brother-in-law asked us to go home first, and talk with the mine company and the forced labor camp.

On January 1, 2003 after lunch, my daughter could not bear that her father was not wearing any clothes. She talked with her uncle, but was reprimanded by him.

At 8:02 pm on January 2, 2003, my brother-in-law called and said the forced labor camp has confirmed that my husband was dead, and asked us to put on his clothes. My children immediately went to the forced labor camp to deal with the issue.

The forced labor camp was in charge of everything from Zhao Yingqi's sickness to his death. My husband's company was asked to prepay part of the disabled person's compensation to pay for the medical expenses so his body could be brought back. The 10,422.89 yuan in medical cost was to be paid using the insurance policy. He signed the paper, which stated Zhao died of a normal cause. My daughter refused to sign in the beginning, but was finally tricked into it.

As Zhao Yingqi's wife, I did not agree to what my brother-in-law and daughter did. I did not sign anything, and did not give permission to my children to sign any documents, including the one that stated my husband died of natural causes. How could it be a natural death? Zhao Yingqi was tortured to death by the forced labor camp. The camp has been lying. According to the detention rules issued by the Chinese Public Security Ministry, no senior citizens, pregnant women, disabled persons, or overseas Chinese can be detained. Still Zhao, a grade 4 disabled person, was detained and the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp apparently broke the rule.

At around 7 p.m. on December 30, 2002, the hospital urged me twice to send Zhao's body to the morgue, yet I got another death notice which stated that my husband died at 8:02 p.m. on January 2, 2003. In April 2003, I received my husband's medial records. On the first page, it noted a successful rescue on January 2, 2003. There was a line on the comments column that stated that, "In January 2003, a diagnosis fee of 1,000 yuan was paid to the 301 hospital." On July 25, I called Ai Zhenmin at the labor camp to ask for the cause of death by the medical experts of the 301 hospital, and the receipt for the 1000 yuan fee. Ai Zhenmin was frightened and answered, "You need to talk to the hospital." I then called Shi Wenjian, the director of the hospital. Shi said the forced labor camp made the diagnosis for the hospital. Shi said, "You can ask the head of the forced labor camp to come, and I'll clarify the issue to you face to face." Shi told me the forced labor camp agreed to pay the 1,000 yuan fee. Later I called Ai Zhenmin again but could not reach him.

On March 19, 2004, my family went to the People's Hospital to get a list of the medical fees. They asked Shi Jianwen to explain the diagnosis made by the 301 hospital experts. Shi said, "Besides this one, there is another account of 3,090 yuan called the Old Cadre's Medical Fee." When asked what it was, Shi replied, "The forced labor camp promised to pay this bill because the City Communist Party Secretary Chen Man ordered to rescue your husband at all costs." Now that the forced labor camp murdered my husband, the medical cost could not be fully covered by the insurance policy and I had to pay part of the cost. I still have not received reimbursement of the over 10,000 yuan in medical expenses.

Sources report that the forced labor camp asked the mine to pick my husband up on December 28 and 29, 2002, but the mine refused. Since Zhao is a grade 4 disabled person, the forced labor camp accepted him only after the mine bribed the camp. The forced labor camp said it should not have accepted my husband, and the mine should not have sent Zhao there. During the 75 days that Zhao Yingqi was abducted from October 17, 2002, until his death, our family was deprived of our visitation rights. When Zhao was detained at the Second Detention Center of Tangshan City, both the Mine Security Department and the Retiree's Management Section refused to issue a letter for a visit from my daughter. She was refused entry into the security department by the gate guard. My daughter asked Gu Laicun, the Communist Party Secretary of the Retiree's Management Section, "Why was my father sent to the forced labor camp while he has a disabled leg?" Gu said, "If he breaks the law, we'll still send him, even if he was 80 years old." My husband was known as a good father who loved his children, and a good son who cared for his elderly parents. What law did he break?

Experiencing pain and shock from the lost of her beloved son-in-law, who died unjustly, my mother died a month later after my husband's death.

Based on Chapter 2, item 35, 36, 37, and 41 of the Chinese Constitution, my husband did not commit any crime and was wrongfully tortured to death. The facts are here. I appeal to put those who persecuted my husband to justice.

Zhao Yanru, wife of Zhao Yingqi

Wrote on June, 2004

The following are copies of paperwork and evidence:

High Resolution Picture High Resolution Picture
High Resolution Picture High Resolution Picture

Please also refer to:


December 16, 2004