Guangzhou City Dongshan District Policemen Blind Ms. Wang Haiyan's Right Eye While Beating Her (Photos)

September 24, 2004

( In November 2002, Wang Haiyan was sent to the Third Division in Guangzhou City's Chatou Forced Labor Camp. I met her there as I was also illegally sentenced to three years of forced labor. I saw her the first time she went to Beijing on July 20, 1999, to appeal for Falun Gong. At that time, her eyes were beautiful and shining. When I saw her in the forced labor camp however, she looked totally different. She was being held up by two people, and she could not see out of either eye. Her right eyeball was sunken and had shrunk, even the black pupil of her right eye had completely turned white. She had great difficulty walking and was unable to look after herself.

Wang Haiyan before 2002
High Resolution Picture
Recent photo of Wang Haiyan

Though she has been barbarously abused, the forced labor camp still arbitrarily locked her up in the guardhouse. This made her injuries worse.

The following tells how Wang Haiyan was arrested and persecuted. As we know, Wang Haiyan was followed and reported when she was clarifying the truth of Falun Gong and handing out truth-clarifying materials. It happened near the Wangfujing Department Store in the Dongshan District in Guangzhou City on the afternoon of June 13, 2002. Policemen from the Nonglinxia Street Police Station in the Dongshan District, and plainclothes officers from the "610 Office" were following her. These five or six people approached her together, some grabbing her backpack and handbag, some grasping her hair, others twisting her hands, a few kicking and beating her, and some violently striking her head and face. She shouted loudly, "Stop beating! It is against the law to beat people!" One of them roared, "Don't shout or I beat you to death! This is no different from trampling an ant to death!" The people surrounding and watching attempted to stop them, but were driven away immediately.

Wang Haiyan faintly remembered that she was dragged to an obscure, out-of the way place, and then thrown into a ditch. After she was forcibly taken to the Nonglinxia Street Police Station, her clothes were saturated with rain and blood. Her head, eyes, and other parts of her body were seriously injured. She requested to be sent to a hospital for a medical examination and treatment, however, they instead threw her into a small dark room despite her vomiting. She was hungry and thirsty, and she felt so cold that she had convulsions. No one offered her food or water. She trembled and felt so much pain that she was almost dead. Later she vomited white fluid and collapsed on the ground.

When she was sent to the hospital for emergency treatment and became conscious again, the police threatened her at once, trying to prevent her from telling the true details to the doctor. Then she lapsed into unconsciousness. After emergency intervention, she regained consciousness. She felt painful and tired, and both her body and mind were traumatized. She temporarily lost her memory. One of the doctors told her that the tissue of her eyeball and optic nerve were damaged, and there were several bruises on her brain. Additionally, her left eardrum was damaged, and she lost the ability to hear in one of her ears. There were black and blue marks and blood all over her body, and she had contusions on several parts of her soft tissue. The doctors wanted to know more about her injuries, but the police dragged them away.

After a round of emergency treatments and examinations, the doctors suggested to arrange for Wang Haiyan to stay in the hospital for careful treatment. But the policemen from "610 Office" instead ordered the doctors to disconnect the intravenous tubes and make arrangements for her to leave immediately. Then she was sent to Guangzhou City Dongshan District Detention Center, where the administrator refused to accept her due to the seriousness of her injuries.

In order to get the detention center to accept Wang Haiyan, the city "610 Office" enforcers and the officers from the police station sent her to the armed police hospital and forced the doctor to issue a certain certificate and obtained some medicines. They took the chance when the detention chief was off work to have her admitted and illegally detained her in the detention center for almost four months. During the first month she had to totally rely on others to look after her. She could not walk, and could not see anything. She requested medical treatment several times, but was refused, simply because she was a Falun Gong practitioner. Eventually her injuries deteriorated and she suffered headaches and eye pain every day. She often felt such harsh pain that her body trembled and she could not sleep, night after night. Eventually her right eye became blind, and the eyesight in her left eye declined very quickly to the point that she could not see clearly with that eye either.

She did not know that she had been sentenced to two years of forced labor until she was forcibly sent to the Guangzhou Chatou Forced Labor Camp at the beginning of November 2002. She was locked up in the guardhouse, during which time she was tortured again. She was deprived of sleep, dragged from the bed, and brainwashed with defamatory materials. The guards kept torturing her around the clock in order to coerce her to give up Falun Dafa practice. The persecutors ordered others to write the "Three Statements" and forced her to sign the documents. Being mentally traumatized, she signed under this tremendous pressure.

Soon it was said that Wang Haiyan's family had applied for medical bail and come to take her back home. This year when I came out of the forced labor camp and saw her again, I saw that her right eye was blind and completely damaged, while sight in her left eye had improved and was better than when she was in the labor camp.

She and her family had always wanted to sue the criminals and expose the policemen's crimes to the public and bring them to justice, but all the friends and family members who wished to help had been threatened, so the case made no progress. The telephones, mobile phones, and whereabouts of the entire family were monitored. They live in daily horror and their lives and personal belongings faced scrutiny. Following are additional details of this practitioner's ordeals:

From July 20, 1999 to 2004, Wang Haiyan experienced illegal searches, arrest, fines, beatings, and frequent other cruel treatment under the inhuman persecution, until she suffered disfigurement and a blind eye. On July 20, 1999 she went to Beijing to peacefully appeal, and was illegally arrested, but she escaped using righteous thoughts. In September 1999 she was searched twice by Guangzhou City's "610 Office" enforcers due to her peaceful appeal. At the end of September 1999, she was secretly arrested and taken to the Guangzhou Huangpu Sea Freight Drug Rehabilitation Center, where she stayed for almost three months. She staged a hunger strike and escaped with the power of her righteous thoughts. Her family was extorted of about 17,000 Yuan (1) without being given any receipts. On June 18, 2000 she went to the Guangzhou City Government to participate in a large group practice, but was arrested and taken to the Liwan Detention Center. The perpetrators then sent her to the Guangzhou Shahe Detention Center, where she was detained for over two months. She staged a hunger strike for over twenty days and suffered inhumane tortures along with many other Falun Gong practitioners. She was force-fed, sprayed with chili water, shocked with high voltage electric batons, and locked up in a cell with mental patients. She again escaped with the power of her righteous thoughts. The brutal torture she was subjected to in June 2000 seriously injured her.

Not long ago, Wang Haiyan went to the Chancheng District Police Department in Foshan City, Guangdong Province to apply for a passport and "the permit to go to HK or Macao" but the entry-exit management section of the police department refused her request. She and her family members finally took their hearts of grace and began planning to sue the criminals. They have prepared the document and will file a class-action suit against the police departments, prosecutors, and the courts, to expose this extremely cruel persecution to the public.

The authorities have recently again tried many times to arrest her, as they fear for their crimes being exposed.


(1) Yuan is the Chinese currency. The average monthly salary of an urban worker in China is 500 Yuan.

Related Articles

Self-Immolation Hoax


Video: A Decade of Courage