Previous report: Ms. Gao Rongrong, Disfigured by Electric Shock Torture, Is on the Brink of Death - Shenyang Officials Order "Don't Allow Her to Go Home Even If She Dies" (Photos)

It was May 7, 2004, around 10:00 p.m. After the guards in the Longshan Forced Labor Camp in the city of Shenyang disfigured Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Gao Rongrong by repeatedly shocking her face with electric batons, she was rushed to the Shenyang General Hospital and later transferred to the Shenyang Public Security Hospital. On May 18, 2004, at the insistence of Gao Rongrong's family, she was sent to the First Hospital Affiliated with the China University of Medicine, (also referred to as "Shenyang University of Medicine") and stayed in room 0533.

After Gao Rongrong was disfigured, wherever she went, people were shocked to see her severely charred, blistered face. When the overseas media published the photo of her disfigured face, a lawyer in China cried out, "This is the 21st Century, yet such a tragedy is happening in labor camps!"

After the disfigurement incident, the staff from the Longshan Forced Labor Camp in Shenyang knew they had violated the law and immediately reported the case to their supervisory department--the Department of Justice in Shenyang City. The people in the Department of Justice quickly decided to help cover up the case with the labor camp authorities. They replied to outside inquiries, "We know nothing about this case. Never heard of it." Later, the labor camp and Department of Justice continued to try to cover up their crimes.

A few days after Gao Rongrong was disfigured, some officials in the Department of Justice in Shenyang convened a staff meeting and announced an internal agreement regarding Gao Rongrong's case. On May 16, during an informal gathering, one of my friends told us, "Several days ago, in the Longshan Forced Labor Camp, a woman fell from the second floor." At around 10:00 p.m. on May 7, Tang Yubao and Jiang Zhaohua used four electric batons to shock Gao Rongrong for seven hours in the jailor's office on the second floor. Gao Rongrong's face, neck, feet and other parts of her body were shocked so severely they had turned black and instantly developed blisters everywhere. She jumped out of the window from the second floor from extreme pain, sustaining multiple fractures to her pelvis, a broken thighbone and broken bones in her feet. The person who told us this was a police officer. I asked, "How did you know about the incident?" The person replied, "It was revealed at our staff meeting several days ago." Even when the outside world knew nothing about the disfigurement tragedy, it was known to the Longshan Forced Labor Camp, at the Department of Justice in Shenyang and policemen in their subordinate units.

Zhang Xiansheng, a forty-year-old man, is the deputy head of the Department of Justice and the main person in charge of the persecution of Falun Gong. During the past five years, he frequently showed up for "inspection"in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, the Longshan Forced Labor Camp and the Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp, where many Falun Gong practitioners were held.

On May 18, 2004, immediately after Gao Rongrong was transferred to the First Hospital affiliated with the China University of Medicine, someone came across Zhang Xiansheng at the residential compound of the hospital. Zhang wore a black shirt, black pants, and dark sunglasses. He glanced left and right several times before he entered room 0533 and left in a few seconds. It was discovered much later that room 0533 had become a room dedicated to people sent from the Longshan Forced Labor Camp. A Falun Gong practitioner who was disfigured by Tang Yubao and Jiang Zhaohua after being electrically shocked for extended periods was staying in that room. Zhang Xiansheng came to "inspect" his subordinate staff's work in the hospital.

At the end of May, a man from the supervisory division of the Department of Justice in Shenyang, who claimed his surname was Luo, answered a phone call that inquired about Gao Rongrong's case and replied with the "standard" answer, "Never heard of such a thing." His phone number was 86-24-22855031. After he heard the whole story of the disfigurement case, he said, "Why don't you contact the Longshan Forced Labor Camp?" The person who called in said, "As someone in the supervisory department, you should respond to and handle this inquiry." He repeated his answer, "We haven't heard anything about it so far."

On July 18, 2004, a correspondent for Clearwisdom interviewed a staffer named Zhou in the Department of Justice in Shenyang. The employee said, "We will criticize Tang Yubao." The correspondent asked, "In the least, he violated article 234 of the Chinese Criminal Law, ¡®harming others intentionally,' and article 248 of the Chinese Criminal Law, ¡®abusing detainees.' A human life was nearly lost. How can you merely criticize him for all the crimes he has committed?" Zhou then quickly denied any knowledge, saying, "I haven't heard about it."

In the evening of May 19, 2004, at around 9 o'clock, a Clearwisdom correspondent called the Second Division of the Longshan Forced Labor Camp at 86-24-24761745. The head of the Second Division Wang Jichang answered the phone. When asked, he quickly gave the standard answer, "I am not familiar with it." Then he asked, "How did you find out our phone number?" The correspondent told him, "A reader submitted a complaint to Clearwisdom and gave us the telephone number." Wang Jichang said, " I don't work here. I happened to drop in, just to chat with the people here."

Then, the correspondent called the First Division at 86-24-24760624. Yue Jun, head of the First Division, is a 33-year-old man. He ordered detainees in the labor camp to shave Gao Rongrong's hair on the top of her head, so as to humiliate her. He also gave the standard answer, "I'm not familiar with it." Later he said, "You should ask the Second Division." The second division is where Gao Rongrong was electrically shocked. When the correspondent pressed Yue , he said, "I can't say anything over the phone about this matter. You'll find out if you come to the labor camp yourself." He was clear that it was not because they were not familiar with the crime, but rather because they "can't say anything over the phone about this matter."

At the end of May 2004, a policewoman in the second division answered the phone and said, "Our labor camp authorities have stipulated that we are not allowed to say anything about it." When questioned about what they were hiding, the officer hung up the phone.

The police at the Longshan Forced Labor Camp are taking turns to go to the hospital and monitoring Gao Rongrong around the clock. The head of the Second Division Wang Jinghui covertly paid the doctor's fees for her treatment. Another employee from the Second Division Wang Chunmei, a thirty-year-old woman, attempted to tear off the thick blacken scab on Gao Rongrong's face in her family members' absence, but could not.

The medical staff's office is right across the hallway from room 0533. They have been observers of the constant conflict between the police and Gao Rongrong's outraged family members. Once, officials from the Longshan Forced Labor Camp called in the"110" police. Everyone working or staying on the fifth floor knew about this. Staff from the labor camp told "110" police that Gao Rongrong's family members were also believers of Falun Gong and ordered their arrest. (Note: 110 is similar to the "911" emergency number in the United States.) In this case, the police officers from "110" refused to conduct the arrest.

With lies after lies, the officials at the Longshan Forced Labor Camp simply exposed their own evil. The labor camp came up with a new strategy recently.

As early as August 15, 2004, staff in the camp started to map out a plan to "investigate" the incident. The labor camp administrator Li Fengshi told the police who kept watch on Gao Rongrong daily, " If she dies, notify us immediately and we'll get a death certificate from the hospital right away." On August 20, 2004, Li Fengshi and Liu Bo, the head of education-through-labor division from the Department of Justice in Shenyang, went to the hospital's administrative office and carried out "ideology work" for the hospital leaders. They tried to coerce the hospital to conspire with the labor camp.

It is well known that hospitals are for saving people's lives. Moreover, the First Hospital affiliated with the China University of Medicine has enjoyed a good reputation for their professionalism and emphasis on ethics. The hospital staff clearly understand that the duty of a doctor is to save people's lives, rather than following the orders of thugs. The medical staff in the hospital said they hoped Gao Rongrong could leave the hospital, but only the Secretary of the hospital can authorize her release. The Secretary said that leaders from the Department of Justice denied their request to discharge Gao Rongrong from the hospital.

In the persecution of Falun Gong, these thugs from the labor camp and Department of Justice have played a disgraceful role, aiding a tyrant do evil. They are acting more and more irrationally. In facing thugs such as these, the people's consciences are waking up. When presented with the contrast of the persecutors' violent persecution and the practitioners' peaceful resolve, more and more people are choosing their stance well.