The Supreme Court of Heilongjiang Province:

My name is Sun Renghui, and I am a Falun Gong practitioner. I was illegally arrested on October 26, 2001 and held in the Longfeng Detention Center of Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. On June 18, 2002, I was sent to the assembled training team of the Daqing Prison. On July 22, 2002, I was transferred to the Dongfeng Prison of Harbin City, and on April 10, 2003, I was again transferred to the Harbin Prison. Before I was arrested I was in perfect physical condition.

During my 8-month-long detention in the Longfeng Detention Center of Daqing City my body became infested with scabies. Upon my arrival at the Dongfeng Prison of Harbin City on July 22, 2002, I was forced by the prison guards from the 9th group to crouch against the wall for about half an hour. At night I was cruelly beaten by criminals and, as a result, I could not fall asleep because of the pain. The next day the instructor from the 9th group, Liu, threatened me by saying: "If you do not write the "three statements" (1), I will order the criminals to fasten you to a pillar and beat you." After that I was transferred to the 8th group, where I was tortured and beaten by criminals on the night of my arrival. On the third day I was assigned to do labor in an electronics workshop. Because of the scabies, I was in a very weak condition and my resistance to disease was very weak. As a result, the surface of my left foot rapidly swelled because of the scabies. The scabies on my feet became infected and oozed pus. However, when I asked to be allowed to postpone the labor until my feet recovered, the prison guard Piao Mingzhe refused my request with the excuse that the assigned production quota could not be delayed. I had to limp there and back to continue the labor every day. By October, my feet started to become cold and numb and, furthermore, the lower part of the knees also started to go numb. In some cases the situation was so bad that I had to be supported by criminal inmates to walk. During the worst time, there was acute pain in my feet. It felt like I was being stabbed by needles continuously. The burst of pains even woke me up from sleep. During those days I asked the guards many times for a period of rest or hospitalization, but they instantly refused me with the excuse that I had not written the "three statements." Consequently, my health condition deteriorated, and I became extremely emaciated. There were scabies on my lower abdomen and on my legs the blood vessels were broken and and flesh was festering. I coughed up phlegm with blood in it. The condition of my legs deteriorated from being numb to losing all feeling. The acute pain in my feet came in continuous bursts like being stung by needles. I could only walk with great difficulty and was almost always out of breath. Sometimes I suddenly fell unconscious when I took a rest and leaned against a wall. When I regained consciousness and opened my eyes, I found that I had fallen to the ground. It was in this extreme condition that the prison guards finally allowed me to be hospitalized on December 17, 2002.

On April 10, 2003, I was transferred to the Harbin Prison because I refused to write the so-called "three statements." On the day of my arrival at the assembled training team of the Harbin Prison I was stripped of my cotton jacket and cotton-padded trousers by the prison handyman, Li Zhimin. Only wearing my thin cotton knitwear and the prison garb, I was forced to sit on a folding stool next to the air vent from morning to night every day. It was so cold that I trembled constantly and, what's more, I would be beaten if the prison guards thought that I was not sitting properly on the stool. It is really difficult to depict the horror of all these tortures. My physical condition deteriorated further after six days of torture. However, despite all of this, the prison guards still planned to throw me into the confinement cell for further torture. At that time policeman Zhang Jiushan was in charge of the assembled training team and the prison handymen Li Zhimin, Fang Yong and Liu Yanpeng ordered criminals to implement the tortures. One day Liu Yanpeng said to me after beating me, "We are not enemies, but I work for the government. I hope you can understand." Li Zhimin threatened me, "I will order the criminals to torture you. We are not worried that you will not transform. You will be tortured until you reach the margin between life and death. We will cremate you if you don't transform in the end."

Now my legs from the knee down have gone completely numb. My feet, which feel like they do not belong to me, often become numb and cold, and they are unable to feel anything, even when I am not wearing shoes.

July 14, 2004


(1) Three statements: The so-called "Repentance Statement" (In this statement the practitioner is forced to admit remorse for practicing Falun Gong and promise to give up Falun Gong); "Guarantee Statement" (A statement to declare that he or she promises not to practice Falun Gong again and not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong); and a "Disassociation Statement" (A statement to declare a dissociation with Falun Gong and Falun Gong practitioners).