(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Shang Shuichi was from Hulou Village of Wuliang Town, Yuzhou City in Henan Province. He died at the age of 49. He was a physical education teacher at Wuliang Middle School and used to suffer from several diseases like high blood pressure, stroke and amnesia. In 1997, he was fortunate to be introduced to Falun Dafa and started his cultivation practice.

A week after he had learned to practice Falun Dafa, one evening, he suddenly felt a spasm of intense pain on one side of his body. However, the next morning when he woke up, he found out that the long-term numb feeling over half his body disappeared; instead his body felt light all over. After this marvelous experience, he was even firmer in his belief in Falun Dafa. He strictly conducted himself according to the principles of "Truth-Compassion-Tolerance." He always tried to be better at thinking of others first. So he was well praised by students and colleagues in school and by neighbors in the village. Yet, a good person like him was tortured to death by Jiang's regime because he kept telling people about the true situation of the persecution of Falun Gong

During the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) in 2000, he went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. But he was arrested in Beijing and sent back to his hometown. He was detained in the Yuzhou Prison for 100 days where he was often beaten violently by the inmates, on orders of the guards, because he remained steadfast in his belief and practice of Falun Gong. Once, because he did the Falun Gong exercises, the guards put 24lb shackles on his feet and forced him to run around the courtyard of the prison. They used a baton to urge him to run faster, causing severe bleeding and laceration of his ankles.

Another time, because he was discovered practicing the Falun Gong exercises, the guards cuffed Mr. Shang's hands behind his back. One guard deliberately cuffed him so tightly that the edge of the cuffs cut into his flesh. That evening, his hands became swollen. Due to the tightness of the cuffs on the wrists, the cuffs cut into his flesh and his hands became dark purple. It was so painful that Mr. Shang had to bump his head against the wall hard to distract himself from feeling the agony of it. When the inmates reported to the police that if they didn't remove the cuffs, Mr. Shang's hands would become disabled, the police replied that he had "asked for it," and ignored the serious situation. Mr. Shang was tortured like that for 48 hours. Two deep bloody cuts were left on his wrists and even after several months they were still clearly visible.