December 26, 2003

( Ms. Bai Xiuhua of Heilongjiang Province was a clerk at the Police Station in Acheng City. On July 8, 2002, Harbin City police arrested and sent her to Harbin Police Branch No. 7. To protest against the illegal detention, Ms. Bai went on a hunger strike. Later she was transferred to Acheng City No. 2 Detention Center, then to the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. On August 28, 2002, she died in detention due injuries from severe torture. The labor camp did not inform her family of her death until after they cremated her body.

Ms. Bai Xiuhua started to practice Falun Gong in May 1998. In December 2000, the police took her to Acheng No. 2 Detention Center without officially charging her. Later, she was transferred to a brainwashing class. There she was detained for more than seven months. In the brainwashing class, she refused to watch TV propaganda broadcasts that defamed Dafa. As punishment, two people grabbed by the arms and legs and threw her onto the floor which injured her spine. After three days of going on a hunger strike, she was released.

Back home, Bai Xiuhua continued to tell the public the facts of the persecution against Falun Gong. The police terminated her employment and forced her to live on 100 Yuan monthly pension. She was required to make daily trips to the police station where she worked. She tried on numerous occasions, to explain the facts of the persecution of Falun Gong to Police Chief Wang Jinghe whom she worked with for more than a dozen years. Wang refused to listen and continued to persecute Falun Dafa practitioners. Because Ms. Bai refused to give up her belief in Falun Dafa, the police department forced her to accept a lump sum early retirement package and severed all her benefits.

On November 1, 2001, Bai Xiuhua and three fellow practitioners went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Dafa. With strong righteous thoughts, they came back safely. After that, they continued to explain the facts and distributed Dafa flyers in nearby villages and towns. One day, Bai Xiuhua obtained some Dafa flyers from a city and was returning home. She was spotted by a policeman at the bus station. The police confiscated all the flyers and arrested her. They forced her to tell them where she got the flyers from. Her fourteen-year old daughter tried to stop the police from arresting her mom. The police pushed her daughter so hard that she fell on the floor and became unconscious. The police took Bai Xiuhua to the No. 2 Detention Center. Later they transferred her to No. 1 Detention Center.

During her detention, Bai Xiuhua continued to practice the Falun Dafa exercises. As a result, she was targeted for further persecution. Because she refused to wear the prison uniform, several police officers tried to force her to wear it. After more than an hour of struggling, the police gave up. The detention center does not allow anyone to practice Falun Gong, but Bai Xiuhua practiced the exercises anyway. When the police gave her a hard time, she went on a hunger strike to protest. All other fellow inmates held her in high esteem. On the fourth day of her hunger strike the police started force feeding her. They also transferred her to a single cell.

The Center created a torture device they called the "Death Bed." The police tied her hands and feet to the bed. They told her that she could not even go to the bathroom. However, Bai Xiuhua continued her righteous thoughts and acts. Some police even were moved to become sympathetic. They added a foam pad to her hands to lessen the pain. They also allowed her bathroom breaks. They also gave her a break at night and tied her to that bed during the day. Later her health deteriorated. Afraid of taking responsibility if she should die, the detention center sent her to the hospital to get an IV infusion of "nutrients" and tried to send a bill for the 2000 Yuan in medical costs to her family, but they refused to pay it. In the end, the detention center itself had to pay for it.

During Bai Xiuhua's hospital stay, a fellow practitioner escaped. To prevent Bai from escaping, the police sent her back to detention with the IV needle still in her arm. Seven days after the Chinese New Year, with the help of her righteous thoughts and the righteous thoughts from practitioners outside, she successfully defeated the police's plan to give her a three year forced labor sentence. After a 14 day hunger strike, Bai Xiuhua walked out of the detention center with dignity. Her former employer and local police planned to continue to persecute her after she regained her health. She refused to agree to this plan and went into hiding.

While hiding, she continued distributing Dafa flyers. In July 2002 she was arrested again and sent to Harbin City's Police Branch No. 7. After a month long hunger strike, she was sent back to the Acheng City No. 2 Detention Center. At this time, she became so weak that she could not walk with a straight back. She even needed assistance getting into a bus. Despite her feeble condition, the police still sent her to the notorious Wanjia Labor Camp in Harbin City. She failed the physical exam at Wanjia Labor Camp and was sent to the labor camp hospital for force feeding. Sensing that she was going to die soon, the labor camp informed her former employer to take her back. But both the employer and the police refused to take her. She was left to die in detention in August 2002. The labor camp authority had her body cremated before telling her family, in order to hide the evidence of their crime.

The person responsible for persecuting Bai Xiuhua:

Wang Jinghe of Shancheng Police Station, Harbin Jiancheng Machinery Company, Heilongjiang Province.