Ms. Li Guangyan, who is 65-years-old, did warehouse work for the Nanhua grain supply center in Xinjin County of Chengdu City in Sichuan Province, and is now retired. She began practicing Falun Gong in 1997, and illnesses that had plagued her for years disappeared completely.

After the persecution began, Ms. Li went to Beijing to appeal on January 18, 2000. In Tiananmen Square, she was arrested and sent back to the Xinjin County Detention Center, where she was detained for 45 days. From then on, every time on a "sensitive" date, she was arrested and detained time after time; Ms. Li has been arrested and detained a total of eight times.

At 12 midnight on National Day (October 1st) in 2000, policemen pulled Ms. Li out of her bed and then locked her up for over a month.

On December 8, 2000, Ms. Li again went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested. Later she was sent back to Xinjin County, where she was locked up for eight months and her retirement pension was taken away. In the beginning she was paid 80 Yuan per month, which was divided into four payments, so she received 20 Yuan each time. In the end, she was given no money at all. If she wanted her pension back she would have to write a so-called "break away [from Falun Gong] statement."

In December 2001, Ms. Li went to the deputy secretary of the County Party Committee, Yang Jinzhang, to report that her pension had been stopped. She was arrested immediately, put into the Xinjin County Detention Center, and illegally sentenced to one-and-a-half years in a labor camp. When they sent her to the camp and took a physical examination, they discovered she had high blood pressure and heart disease, so the labor camp did not want to take her in. But Ni Nianchun, an official at the Nanhua grain supply center in Xinjin County would not accept her, either. After being locked up in the labor camp for 15 days, Ms. Li was sent back to the local police station in Xinjin County, where she was detained for the night and released the next day. At her workplace, Ms. Li not only didn't receive retirement pensions any more, but her pension card, identification card, retirement card, and residency card were all taken away. Her life savings of 9000 Yuan were taken away by Ni Nianchun in March 2003. Also, friends and relatives of hers were not allowed to visit; her basic rights were taken away. On the night of February 19, 2003, the police superintendent Wang Jianjun took a few police officers and hid around the Nanhua warehouse to monitor and follow her. They brought up a false charge that Ms. Li was handing out flyers, and again locked her up for 25 days. She was released because her high blood pressure was high. Ms. Li has so far spent a total of three spring festivals in prison because of the unjust persecution.