(Clearwisdom.net) Fifty-six-year-old Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Kong Fanrong, from Shulan City, Jilin Province was a retired employee of the Shulan Pharmaceutical Company. At noon on May 11th, 2003, she was beaten to death by a group of policemen from the 610 Falun Gong Control Office* of Shulan City. This murder took place under the orders of the director, Mr. Zhao Qiuenchang (Tel: 0432-8251265) of the Shulan Detention Center.

Ms. Kong started practicing Falun Gong in July 1997. She studied and practiced regularly. She quickly discovered that many of her old diseases went away and she became very healthy, both in mind and body. Her moral character improved, as she no longer fought with others for fame or personal gain. Having felt such profound benefits from Falun Dafa, she was eager to share with others and started a study group at her house, helping others to benefit as well. Since the persecution of Falun Gong began on July 20th, 1999 under the direction of Jiang's regime, she went to Beijing twice to clarify the truth to the government. She had hoped to cite her own experience and benefits as proof of how wonderful Falun Dafa is, but she was illegally detained for 30 days by the Shulan City government.

Ms. Kong had a happy family. She and her husband had a successful ice cream store, but because she and her husband were Falun Gong practitioners, the local government officials and police frequently harassed them at home, disrupting their normal life. On January 28th, 2000, her husband was illegally sent to a labor camp for refusing to give up the practice, breaking apart the happy family. They could no longer operate the business, and lost their source of income. When Ms. Kong attended a Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference July 8th, 2001, the local government put out a bounty of 100,000 Yuan** for her capture. She was forced to hide from the police to avoid arrest and could not go home. Unable to operate her business, she could no longer care for her eighty-nine-year-old mother.

Although Ms. Kong evaded the local manhunt, she was not able to avoid the Jiang regime's countrywide search. On January 4th, 2003, Ms. Kong was captured by a group of policemen at her rental home in Huajiao neighborhood, in an automobile production town in Changchun. This group of policemen was led by Liu Qiang, Shi Yongliang, and Huang Huicheng, the directors of the Changchuen City Jingcheng Area Police Station and Anqing Avenue Neighborhood Watch Bureau. They broke into the house and took 3,000 Yuan in cash, 2 cell phones, 1 pager, 2 watches, 1 copier, 1 tape recorder and 1 tape player, books, 6 palm pilots, papers, audio tapes, clothes etc., altogether valued at 15,000 Yuan. They also broke into her landlord's storage room and stole her landlord's electric heater.

A group of policemen began beating Ms. Kong after abducting her to the Police Station. They attempted to force her to give her name and other practitioners' names, but she refused to cooperate. They shocked her with an electric baton, and kicked her head and body with their heavy leather boots. Her head was bleeding, but they continued. They tied her to the tiger bench*** before they went out to eat. While they were gone, a young policeman came in. He started to swear at her and interrogate her, but she did not make a sound. He crushed her toes with his boots, and kicked her legs while swearing. This continued until the others returned.

When the police attempted to take a photo, she tucked her head down and closed her eyes. One of them pressed his fingers into her eyes and said, "If you don't open your eyes, I'm going to dig your eyeballs out." Then they took her off the tiger bench, but her legs were numb and she could not walk. They dragged her by the hair and slammed her head against the walls and windowsills. Then they thrust her onto a bed and shoved her to the floor while cursing her. They tried to force her to admit things that were not true. She did not cooperate, so they kept beating her until she passed out.

She was sent to Changchun Daguang Detention Center and Shuangyang Detention Center, and then transferred to Shulan Detention Center a few days later. At Shulan Detention Center, she suffered inhumane torture. She was beaten under the direction of Zhao Qiuenchang for three months until she died. (Note: The above was written based on parts of Ms. Kong's own description before prior to her death.)

Fearing this news would reach the public, officials in Shulan City had her body guarded from viewing, as it was heavily bruised. When asked why she was beaten to this point, one official from the police department growled, "She did not cooperate!" They attempted to cremate her right away, but her relatives voiced a strong objection. In order to hide the evidence, the police took six practitioners as hostages, claiming, "If Kong's body is cremated today, we will release these people today; if her body is cremated tomorrow, we will release these people tomorrow; if her body is not cremated in ten days, we will keep these people for ten days." Then they yelled, "We have documentation saying that it is not against law for the government to beat people to death." Why did the Chinese government knowingly produce such unjust documentation which goes against its own constitution? Does this represent Chinese human rights of this era? Why did the government commit such an atrocity against a defenseless elderly woman whose only wish was to be a good person?

This murder is the direct result of the genocide policy orchestrated by Jiang Zemin and the 610 Office. This bloody assassination will be used as evidence for the prosecution of Jiang by the international society.

We ask all kind people throughout the world to help stop the persecution of Falun Gong and the massacre of Chinese citizens. We request the world human rights organizations' support in investigating these crimes, finding the murderers, and serving justice.

May 31, 2003

* The "610 Office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.

**Chinese currency; 500 Yuan is the average monthly income for an urban worker in China

*** Tiger Bench: A method of torture in which the practitioners are forced to sit on a small steel bench that is approximately 20 cm (6 inches) tall with their knees tied together. With their hands tied behind their backs or sometimes placed on their knees, they are forced to sit straight up and look straight ahead. They are not allowed to turn their heads, close their eyes, talk to anyone or move at all. Several inmates are assigned to watch over the practitioners and force them to remain motionless while sitting on the bench. Usually some hard objects are inserted underneath the practitioners' lower legs or ankles to make it harder for them to tolerate this abuse (see illustration on http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2001/11/24/16156.html)