There is a so-called, "Legal System Learning Center" in Furong District of Changsha City in Hunan province. It is, in fact, a forced brainwashing center that is specifically created to illegally detain Falun Dafa practitioners. It has been over two years since the center was established at the beginning of 2001. While at this center, each Dafa practitioner is put into one room with a "companion." Practitioners are not allowed to speak to each other. Each room's window has iron bars installed. There is also an iron gate outside the room door. Practitioners are not allowed to step out of their rooms. They are allowed only three visits from family each month. The following examples show the absurdity and evil of this place.

  1. A policeman from the political security office of a local police station went to talk with a Dafa practitioner. Accusing the practitioner of having a bad attitude, he forced the practitioner to stand for over two hours. During that time, he insulted the practitioner with all sorts of foul language, including attacks on his personal character. If it were not for the fact that other people were nearby, he might even have physically attacked that practitioner. "There is no need to follow legal procedures for Falun Gong practitioners," he boasted. "All it needs is my signature to have you sent to a labor camp."
  2. Falun Gong practitioners were stripped naked and searched for Falun Dafa books and Teacher's articles.
  3. A Falun Gong practitioner who was six months pregnant was forced to abort her baby while she was detained at the brainwashing center. She already has one child, and the scheduled operation was only a few days from the instatement of a new policy that allows a second child on the condition of paying a "bringing-up" fee to the government. During the operation, even the nurse was furious, "The child would be allowed (by law) in only a few days."
  4. A practitioner's father passed away. At first, the villains at the brainwashing center would not allow him to attend the funeral unless he agreed not to speak about "certain things." The practitioner replied, "If people ask, I will of course speak about it." Finally, after much insisting, he/she was escorted to the funeral by several officers, and was only allowed to stay for one hour.
  5. An elderly couple and their daughter-in-law who held a one-year-old baby in her arms was taken to a brainwashing center by force. When the evil people were dragging them into the car, all the neighbors saw it. One of them commented, "This is an outrage!" A month later, the child was not allowed to stay with the mother anymore, so the child was sent to the grandmother in a rural area. Now the child is talking and running around, but still cannot see its mother. The three practitioners in this family refused to cooperate with the villains who were trying to take their fingerprints, so they were taken into a small room one by one. Inside the room, a few policemen secured each of them on the floor. They pulled their arms backward and twisted their wrists so that they could take the fingerprints. Because of this brutality, the 60-year-old grandma still cannot move her right hand freely to this day.
  6. A practitioner wrote a "guarantee statement" [A statement to declare that he or she is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.] after being detained for over a month. Afterward, he realized that it was wrong, so he submitted a "solemn declaration" to void his previous statement. That resulted in him being detained again. His workplace attempted to send him to a forced labor camp many times. They even rented a few rooms near the brainwashing center, and hired some of the officers and ex-practitioners who had gone astray, to attempt to brainwash this practitioner. This practitioner was forced to watch videos that slandered Falun Dafa. While watching these videos, he was not allowed to close his eyes or cough; otherwise, he would be punished by being hit in the eye, or forced to stand for a long time. These evil people intentionally arranged for this practitioner to overhear their discussion of sending him to a forced labor camp if the brainwashing attempt failed. During this time, this practitioner was able to escape once, but was captured again. After a month of failed brainwashing, he was sent back to the center. Later, he was illegally sent to a forced labor camp for one year.