(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Dafa Information Center February 26th Report: According to news sources in Jiangxi Province, Falun Gong practitioner Lan Hu from Jiujiang City was tortured to death on February 9th, 2003 in Nanchang City Jail following a 68-day detention. A jail official revealed that Lan Hu wrote an appeal letter before his death in which he "accused the top person in the government."

It was learned that the 30-year-old Lan Hu was a civil servant in the Pricing Bureau, Lushan District. He began practicing Falun Gong in 1994. After the Party began persecuting Falun Gong, Lan Hu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in late December 1999. Police arrested him and sent him to the Jiujiang City Detention Center. He was subsequently sentenced to three years of forced labor in March 2000 and was brutally tortured during his detention. In April 2001, Lan Hu was released early. When he returned home, he found out he was deceived in the labor camp. He wrote letters to the City Political and Law Committee authorities and the labor camp, saying that his true intention was to persist in practicing Falun Gong. In order to avoid arrest, Lan Hu left home. Lan Hu was on a "wanted by police" list posted online.

The news source revealed that on October 2, 2001, Lan Hu was arrested when distributing truth clarification flyers in Zhangjiajie, Hunan Province. He held three hunger strikes during his 100-day detention. In January 2002, Lan Hu was taken back to Lushan District Police Department, where he was handcuffed and shackled for five days and nights, for a total of 120 hours.

After being detained for nearly one year at Jiujiang City Detention Center, Lan Hu was illegally sentenced to 11 years in jail by Lushan District Court. On December 3, 2002, Lan Hu was sent to Nanchang City Jail. After only 68 days, Nanchang City Jail officials notified Lan Hu's family of his death.

The news source also revealed that the autopsy report from the People's Prosecuting Authorities in Changlin District admitted Lan Hu began a hunger strike on February 6 and died on February 9, yet it insists that Lan Hu "died of respiratory and circulatory collapse due to poor health." It was learned that Lan Hu's family expressed strong doubt at the conclusion that Lan Hu died from a four-day hunger strike.

The news also said the jail official claims Lan Hu wrote an appeal letter in which he "accused the top person in the government." Lan Hu's mother asked to see this letter but the jail official refused.

An official from Changlin District People's Prosecuting Office refused to provide answers to the question, "Why did Lan Hu suffer circulatory and respiratory function failure after only four days on a hunger strike?" He said, "Ask the jail."

According to statistics from a verifiable source, at least 11 Falun Gong practitioners have been tortured to death in Jiangxi Province. One of them, Hu Qingyun, former division head of the Jiangxi Provincial High Court was tortured to death in Jiangxi Prison on March 22, 2001.

After the Chinese government began persecuting Falun Gong, Hu Qingyun wrote to national leaders several times to appeal for Falun Gong. Because of his letters, the governmental officials had him arrested twice, in July and October 1999. Hu was sentenced to seven years in jail by a district court in Nanchang City on January 10, 2001. AP, Reuters, Central News Agency and other mainstream media reported this incident.