As the Fa Rectification advances, practitioners in the "second group" at the Tuanhe Forced Labor Camp are becoming more sober-minded. Apart from the practitioners who completely deny the evil persecution and continue to practice Falun Dafa, those who have already yielded because of brainwashing and deception have recognized the lies that were told to them. Many people have given a solemn statement to start practicing Falun Gong again, and declared any negative words they wrote about Falun Gong while their minds were not clear due to brainwashing, to be null and void. Most of the practitioners who were abducted recently are clear-minded. It is becoming more and more difficult for the vicious police to succeed in brainwashing. Falun Gong practitioners have transformed many of the collaborators [Former Falun Gong practitioners who have gone astray due to brainwashing and torture.]. The police team leaders are worried that even the most stable, model collaborators will go back on their "guarantee" at any moment.

Of the second group, including Zheng Libin, Lin Chengtao, Mu Junkui, Li Wanqing, Hu Qianfeng, Sun Deli, Wang Guobing, Gao Liangui, Guo Shunli, Zhang Youwei, and Tian Liandong, with Xu Li from Jilin, Xu Zijun from Dalian, Zhang Jing and Cao Jie from Beijing, some have never compromised with the evil, and the rest were abducted because they learned the truth, and continue to practice Falun Gong. The practitioners' righteous thoughts and righteous actions seriously frighten the team leaders. As more and more practitioners make public statements, the police are terrified and filled with anxiety.

Out of fear of "unstable factors," the leader of the second group, Ni Zhenxiong, ordered the police to keep a close watch on the practitioners. At the beginning of 2002, Ni had recklessly tortured practitioners. In mid-March, he physically abused two practitioners by forcing them to maintain contorted postures. He had them run around the track field until they were too tired to move, then he forced them to run around the track field again. The cruelty of Ni's policy was beyond belief. On another occasion Ni bound thirty-year-old Mu Junkui to a hard, wooden bed, and then ordered some inmates to shock him with an electric baton until his body was black and blue. In the middle of the year, under the pretext that a practitioner hid Teacher's articles, Ni kept an elderly practitioner from sleeping for three days, in an attempt to extort a confession. The practitioner became physically and mentally exhausted. Ni eventually had to stop because of the practitioners' just demand for an end to this persecution. To vent his anger, Ni transferred the practitioner to another group. By the end of the year, the police realized the persecution would soon come to an end.