Ms. Qi Shuyan, a 47 year old woman from Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province, was arrested and sent to the Jiamusi Labor camp for shouting, "Falun Dafa is Good!" while appealing on behalf of Falun Dafa in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 2001. For the first two months of her detention, she was locked in a small room. She could not see anything outside the room or leave the room at all.

In October 2001, team leader He Qiang saw Qi Shuyan sitting with her back against the door and facing the window. He accused her of practicing the Falun Gong exercises and punished her by slapping her face hard, which resulted in damage to the hearing of her left ear.

In late April 2002, Qi Shuyan sat on the bed with her legs double crossed in the meditation position. Police officer Yin Hong saw her and ordered her to get up from the meditation position. Qi Shuyan, refused his request, so Yin Hong ordered team leader Hong Wei to forcibly handcuff her for a week. In another incident, Hong Wei again saw that Qi Shuyan was sitting on her bed and becoming afraid she was going to practice the Falun Dafa meditiation, he shouted loudly at her. When she did not respond to his shouting, he went in to her cell and violently dragged her and the bed covers down to the ground. He then began kicking and slapping her. Afterwards, he handcuffed her to the bed for 7 days.

On 4th October 2002, the police forced all practitioners who refused to renounce their belief in Dafa to be subjected to brainwashing. They took all practitioners to the third floor for brainwashing which they called, "strict education," and forced practitioners to sit on little stools which were very uncomfortable [Note: the little stools are actually cable spindles used in the industry, and are employed by the police as torture instruments. Please see: http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2003/10/29/41751.html]. Practitioners were required to sit there with their hands placed precisely on their knees, without reaching over. Sitting in such a position the practitioners were then forced to watch anti-Falun Gong propaganda shows broadcast on the TV which started at 6am and finished at 11pm. If any practitioner closed their eyes, their detention time would be extended.

In mid-October, police officer Gao Jie took Qi Shuyan to the second floor and tortured her for 3 hours by handcuffing one hand over her shoulder and the other hand up from her lower back for more than 3 hours. This torture was known as "The big handcuff" and was used repeatedly on her.

In June 2003, Qi Shuyan was forced to labor, but due to fatigue, Qi Shuyan fell asleep against a wall. Police Hong Wei saw her and kicked her and then sent her for "Big handcuff."

In July 2003, Qi Shuyan was again forced to sit on a little stool for more than two months because she refused to write statement defaming Dafa. After that she was handcuffed again using the "big handcuff" method. It was in the middle of summer, and she was not allowed to change her clothes, nor allowed to shower or brush her teeth.