Latest News from China - 10/29/2003
- [Beian City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioners are Illegally Sentenced
- [Wanyuan City, Sichuan Province] Falun Gong Contact Person is Arrested
- [Nongan County, Jilin Province] Tang Borong is Tortured in the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp4. [Anshan City, Liaoning Province] The Lishan Court Falsely Accuses and Tries Falun Gong Practitioners
- [Qiqihar City, Heilongjiang Province] Three Practitioners Persecuted
- [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Gui Wenfang is Detained in the Etouwan Brainwashing Class
- [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Gao Aihua is Detained in the Etouwan Brainwashing Class
- [Nongan County, Jilin Province] Chai Yuying is Arrested Illegally9. [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Jiang Jing is Released After an 80-Day Hunger Strike
- [Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Guo Shuxue is Detained in the Jiamusi Prison
- [Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioners Collectively Stand Up to Police
- [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Sun Shufen is Again Sent to a Labor Camp
- [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Police Refuse to Issue a Visa to a Falun Gong Practitioner's Family Member
- [Changchun City, Jilin Province] Police Torture Falun Gong Practitioner Liu Lixia
- [China] Practitioners in Sichuan and Guangxi: Use Caution When Using Internet Cafes!
- [Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Zhuo Yue is Detained in the Cuotou Women's Labor Camp
- [Chuangchun City, Jilin Province] Police Persecute Falun Gong Practitioners
- [Sichuan Province] The Phrase "Falun Dafa is Good" Appears in a Newspaper Photograph
- [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Police Live in Fear of Losing Their Jobs if They Don't Comply With the Orders to Persecute Practitioners
1. [Beian City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioners are Illegally Sentenced
The Beian Court sentenced four Falun Gong practitioners to prison, including Mr. Zhao Hongjun, Mr. Gao Xiaowei, Mr. Jiang Zhigang, and Ms. Li Yuanyuan. Zhao Hongjun was sentenced to 10 years, Gao Xiaowei to 9 years, and Jiang Zhigang to 7 years. They are being detained in the Xinsheng Prison in Beian City. Li Yuanyuan was sentenced to 5 years and is being detained in the Harbin Women's Prison.
2. [Wanyuan City, Sichuan Province] Falun Gong Contact Person is Arrested
Mr. Zhao, a contact person for the Wanyuan City Falun Gong practice site, was illegally arrested.
3. [Nongan County, Jilin Province] Tang Borong is Tortured in the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp
A practitioner from Nongan County was tortured in the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp, causing paralysis in his lower limbs. He is unable to eat and is unable to hold down food. His life is in danger.
4. [Anshan City, Liaoning Province] The Lishan Court Falsely Accuses and Tries Falun Gong Practitioners
On Friday, October 31, 2003, the Lishan Court in Anshan City falsely accused and tried Mr. Wang Hongnan, Mr. Yang Kezhi, and Ms. Wang Lan... Currently they are being detained in the Anshan No. 1 Detention Center.
Lishan Court: 86-412-6821055
Anshan No. 1 Detention Center: 86-412-2960506
Parties Responsible for the Illegal Arrests of Practitioners:
Youhao Police Station: 86-412-6333434
Prosecutors' Report Phone Line: 86-412-5562000
5. [Qiqihar City, Heilongjiang Province] Three Practitioners Persecuted
On September 16, three practitioners, Ms. Liu Chunlan, Ms. Wang Xiurong, and Ms. Yuan Junhong were arrested. On October 21 they were sent to the Shuanghe Labor Camp in Qiqihar City. Liu Chunlan and Wang Xiurong's blood pressure had reached extremely high levels, therefore the labor camp refused to accept them. The staff looked for the police officers who had brought them to the camp but found that they had all left. Liu Chunlan has had high blood pressure during her entire time in the labor camp and her life is in danger. The camp forced the local police and her family to take her back for treatment. Wang Xiurong is still being detained in the labor camp.
6. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Gui Wenfang is Detained in the Etouwan Brainwashing Class
Ms. Gui Wenfang is a 68 year old Falun Gong practitioner from the Qiaokou area in Wuhan City. On the morning of October 17 at 8:00 a.m. a policeman named Yan Guoquan arrested her. Later she was taken to the Hanjia Police Station and currently she is being detained in the Etouwan brainwashing class. When her family demanded that they release her, Li Wei, a police officer said, "She has to give up her belief and disavow Falun Gong, otherwise she cannot be released."
Community Office: 86-27-83873154
The Director of Street Committee, Zhao: 86-27-62694256
7. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Gao Aihua is Detained in the Etouwan Brainwashing Class
Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Gao Aihua is currently being detained in the Etouwan Brainwashing Class. Until recently her family had no knowledge of her whereabouts.
8. [Nongan County, Jilin Province] Chai Yuying is Arrested Illegally
Ms. Chai Yuying is a 47-year old practitioner who lives on Gucheng Street in Nongan County, Jilin Province. On October 14, 2003 at 3:00 p.m., while she was doing housework, seven policemen suddenly broke into her home and took her away. Police also searched her home and confiscated Falun Gong materials. Her family is not allowed to visit her and do not even know her whereabouts.
9. [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Jiang Jing is Released After an 80-Day Hunger Strike
On July 20, 2003 Ms. Jiang Jing, a Falun Gong practitioner from Chengyang Town, Qingdao City went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. With a heart-felt voice she shouted, "Falun Dafa is great!" She then clarified the truth to a person, who might have been a plain-clothes policeman, on Tiananmen Square, and was arrested. The Chengyang Town authorities sent her to the Wangcun Women's Prison in Zibo City and sentenced her to three years of forced labor. She went on a hunger strike for 80 days, and using her righteous thoughts she was finally released.
10. [Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Guo Shuxue is Detained in the Jiamusi Prison
Mr. Guo Shuxue previously had leukemia, but after practicing Falun Gong he was completely cured. In 2002 he was illegally arrested and sentenced to the Jiamusi Prison. His brother, who came from Yichun City, was not allowed to see Guo and was forced to return home. Prison police feared that people would see from Guo's injuries and realize how badly he had been tortured.
11. [Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioners Collectively Stand Up to Police
Mr. Liu Chuanjiang, a Falun Gong practitioner, refused to accept the illegal sentence he was given, and appealed to a higher court of law, clarifying the truth that those who practice Falun Dafa follow the principles of "Truth, Compassion, Forbearance" and are innocent. A policeman named Sui Jin in the Jiamusi Prison found various excuses to beat Liu Chuanjiang. The other Falun Gong practitioners in prison with Liu Chuanjiang protested and refused to wear prison clothes. Their actions shook the police authorities.
Jiamusi Prison Address: 76 Anqing Road, Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province
Education Reform Office: 86-454-8317448
Main Office: 86-454-8303838
12. [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Sun Shufen is Again Sent to a Labor Camp
On September 23, Ms. Sun Shufen, who lives on Kaoshan Street in the Longtan area of Jilin City, was arrested illegally in her own restaurant. Currently she is being held at the Changchun Forced Labor Camp. This is the second time that she has been sent to a forced labor camp.
13. [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Police Refuse to Issue a Visa to a Falun Gong Practitioner's Family Member
The cousin of a Falun Gong practitioner wanted to go overseas to study and went to a police station to apply for a visa. The police refused to process his application. His family did not understand and asked the police why this was the case. They replied. "His aunt practices Falun Gong, so we can not grant him a visa. The decision is beyond our control."
14. [Changchun City, Jilin Province] Police Torture Falun Gong Practitioner Liu Lixia
During April of 2000, a practitioner from Changchun, Ms. Liu Lixia, was illegally detained in the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp in Changchun. Everyday policemen and camp guards beat her and shocked her with electric batons. Sometimes up to seven policemen beat, shocked, and kicked her. The police included Li, Zhu Dan, Liu, and Hou. (Hou was later promoted to the head of Team Seven because he was particularly vicious in his treatment of practitioners.) Zhang Tao, a camp guard, was even more vicious -- he would used electric batons to shock the mouths of practitioners, causing their faces and mouths to swell to the point that they could not eat.
15. [China] Practitioners in Sichuan and Guangxi: Use Caution When Using Internet Cafes!
According to a Chinese website report on October 28, 2003, "The Internet Cafe Monitoring System in Sichuan and Guangxi Provinces have been completed."
The Internet Monitoring System records which websites a user visits. With this information the police can find all related records. Meanwhile the organizations involved in the monitoring system can keep an eye on the information the user views. The Department of Culture is the local agency that monitors Internet usage.
The Ministry of Culture wants internet cafes around the country to abide by the same standards. By the end of August, 16 out of 23 software enterprises had passed the test, and the monitoring systems in Sichuan and Guangxi have been fully installed.
Recently the head of the Ministry of Culture's Marketing Department Liu Yuzhu said that currently they are constructing an Internet Cafe Monitoring System for the entire country.
16. [Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Zhuo Yue is Detained in the Cuotou Women's Labor Camp
Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhuo Yue is 30 years old. Because she spoke good words on behalf of Falun Gong she was sent to a labor camp. Later she was released on parole. After she went home, the local "610 Office"*áarrested her again, claiming that she did not report on time. She is being detained in the "small island" of the Cuotou Women's Forced Labor Camp. Her 11-year old daughter is forced to be home alone with no one to care for her.
* "610 Office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.
17. [Chuangchun City, Jilin Province] Police Persecute Falun Gong Practitioners
Guo Jiancheng is a policeman at the Xiertiao Police Station in Changchun. He harassed and arrested Falun Gong practitioners many times. In order to rise up within the ranks and earn a bonus, he did all he could to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. He actively participated in the arrest of a practitioner named Ms. An Fengxiang, who was outside of his jurisdiction, and he also threatened other practitioners.
18. [Sichuan Province] The Phrase "Falun Dafa is Good" Appears in a Newspaper Photograph
On July 12, 2003, a strange thing happened at a local newspaper in a city in Sichuan Province, but because they covered it up many people do not know about it.
A newspaper photographer went out to take pictures to enhance the layout of the cover page. Several days after the picture was published, a handwriting specialist from the police department noticed that the phrase "Falun Dafa is good" appeared in fuzzy writing, in the photograph. He called the newspaper three times. The newspaper and its editor in chief immediately called a conference; they reported to the Propaganda Department and to the central government. The central government ordered the city government to investigate the incident secretly. The "610 Office" was directly involved in the investigation.
All employees involved in the publishing of the newspaper were told that if they or their family members practiced Falun Gong, they would be dismissed and sentenced to 8 years of forced labor. Many of the employees in the 13 departments, from the editor in chief to members of the publishing department, including the photographer were punished. Some of them were dismissed, some were demoted and had their salaries reduced, and/or were relocated to other departments. Actually the employees that were punished were all people who are very discrete and strictly followed orders. The environment at the newspaper is very tense and everyone is worried for themselves.
19. [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] Police Live in Fear of Losing Their Jobs if They Don't Comply With the Orders to Persecute Practitioners
A practitioner who was a company manager in Qinigdao City accompanied his wife to distribute flyers telling the truth about Falun Gong. Someone reported them and they were arrested and taken to the local police station. The chief of police at the station saw this practitioner, who was a former acquaintance, and said, "It is not that I do not want to help you. If you were an ordinary criminal guilty of hitting somebody, gang fighting, gambling, or visiting prostitutes, I would have released you right away because of our relationship. But since you practice Falun Gong, I do not dare to release you. If someone reports me to higher authorities," he pointed to his police uniform, "I would be stripped of my uniform. I will see what I can do to help you." But the next day this policeman sent him to the Qingdao "610 Office" to undergo a brainwashing class. His wife was sent to a forced labor camp to serve three years of forced labor.
It is clear that senior police officials and junior officers alike tremble in fear of being punished at the hands of Jiang and his gang. They commit all kinds of crimes in order to keep their titles.