Ms. Yu Xiulan, 60 years old, was a Falun Dafa practitioner from Dayangshu Town, E Banner of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. For being a Dafa practitioner, she was illegally detained in the Baoanzhao Women's Prison, where she was locked in solitary confinement. During her detention she initiated a hunger strike lasting over 50 days, but the prison police still did not release her. She died on December 22, 2002.

In September 1999, Ms. Yu Xiulan was illegally arrested when she went to Beijing to peacefully appeal for Falun Dafa. The police had her sent to the Dayangshu Detention Center where the illegal persecution continued. But she persisted in her faith, and was transferred to the Alihe detention center to be detained for 18 months. Shortly after her release, she was arrested again for handing out Falun Gong materials and was illegally sentenced for three years in Baoanzhao Women's Prison. Ms. Yu Xiulan insisted on studying the Fa and doing Falun Dafa exercises, so the police kept her isolated from other practitioners in a closed room so she could not positively affect others in the prison. She began a hunger strike which spanned over 50 days to protest her persecution. By the time she ended her hunger strike, she was no more than skin and bones.

Due to the serious effects caused by the way she was treated within the walls of Baoanzhao Women's prison, she began to show symptoms of a stroke. Her family requested that she see a prison doctor, but the prison did not allow it. She died during this illegal persecution on December 22, 2002.

Mr. Li Jinrong (Ms. Yu Xiulan's spouse) also went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and was illegally detained in the Beijing liaison office of Inner Mongolia. He later escaped with righteous thoughts. In order to avoid further persecution, he had to become homeless. The Dayangshu policemen could not find Mr. Li Jinrong, so they detained his eldest son in the detention center as a hostage, and his son did not even practice Falun Gong. After learning the news, Mr. Li Jinrong went back to ask for the release of his son, and was thus captured by the police. His son was released after being held for 15 days, but he wasn't set free until 8 months later, and only then after his family continually demanded his release. After his release, he was detained again for fifteen months for allegedly handing out Falun Dafa materials.

Ms. Li Haiyan (Mr. Li Jinrong's daughter, also a Falun Dafa practitioner) went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong as well, and as a result, was arrested and detained in the Dayangshu Detention Center. She did not renounce her faith so she was transferred to the Alihe Detention Center to be persecuted together with her mother. She was arrested again some time after her release from the Alihe Detention Center for handing out Falun Dafa materials once more. Later on, she was released on medical parole. She was forced into homelessness afterwards in order to avoid further persecution.

Ms. Li Haiyan was arrested once again by Jiagedaqi police in Heilongjiang Province for handing out truthful Falun Dafa materials. She was then sentenced to thirteen years and is now being detained in Harbin Women's prison in Heilongjiang Province.