In 2001, Dafa practitioners held three large-scale activities to validate Dafa to the people of Linhe, Inner Mongolia. Banners with messages such as "Falun Dafa is the Righteous Way" were hung from trees, light poles and on buildings. Words such as "Falun Dafa is Good" were painted on the walls of the main streets and large quantities of truth-clarifying literature were distributed. Many evil elements in other dimensions were eliminated through righteous thoughts. Many Dafa practitioners in the area were able to step forward to validate the Fa and offer salvation to sentient beings. [Note: Without access to any typical means of communication such as newspapers, magazines, TVáor radio, Falun Gong practitioners have resorted to many creative and sometimes unusual methods for raising awareness among Chinese people about the persecution.]

The Linhe Public Security Bureau plotted to arrest Dafa practitioners in retaliation. In June, they launched a large-scale roundup of Dafa practitioners. Over 30 practitioners were arrested and sent to a detention center. The police deprived practitioners of sleep and took turns interrogating practitioners day and night.

In order to force Dafa practitioners to give up their belief in Dafa, the police subjected them to brutal torture. One such example is hanging them up with handcuffs or ropes. Soon, the handcuffs or ropes cut into the practitioners' flesh, nearly cutting off their blood circulation. Another torture is tying up practitioners in such a position that they cannot lean against anything or stand up.

Sometimes the police would force practitioners to "Ride an airplane." In this torture, the head is bent down until it cannot go down any further, while the hands are pulled up and held up to the highest point. The hips have to point up. One is forced to keep this position unchanged for a long time. The body in this position looks like the shape of an airplane, which is how this torture is named.

Sometimes, four policemen lift up a practitioner by their arms and legs, and throw him to the ground..

To protest against the persecution, the Dafa practitioners went on a hunger strike. The police then ordered some male criminals to force-feed the female Dafa practitioners. These criminals used pliers to pry open practitioners' mouths. After six days, a practitioner with the surname of Liu had wounds all over her body and was in unbearable pain. Another serious consequence was that the force-feeding was the damage caused to the Dafa practitioners' teeth. The pliers often caused great pain to the teeth and gums, and making some of the teeth come loose.

There were even more vicious forms of persecution carried out in the detention center. Sometimes Dafa practitioners were locked into "solitary compartments" to suffer -- and all they could hear was the sound of policemen's cursing and Dafa practitioners being beaten.

Some practitioners' physical condition deteriorated severely. Some of them even lost the ability to walk, needing two people to help them walk out when their family members came to visit them.

The policemen who persecuted Dafa practitioners were: Director Yang, Director Liu and Director Hu (First names unknown.) As they arrested over 30 Dafa practitioners this time, they received a bonus of tens of thousands Yuan from their superiors. In addition, the policemen took the chance to extort about ten thousand Yuan [approximately 10-month salary of an average urban worker in China] from the Dafa practitioners.