June 27, 2002

(Clearwisdom.net) On June 26, 2002, three Australian Falun Dafa practitioners were stopped at the airport upon arrival in Hong Kong. They were given no reasonable explanations. They were detained approximately two and half-hours at the airport, before Meng Li, Zeng Jianling and Lu Zhenlei were sent home on the next flight back to Australia.

Before leaving, Meng Li had arranged with her daughter in Hong Kong to allow her to escort her grandson back to Australia. She requested to contact her daughter many times but was refused. Finally, with nine police officers supervising, she was allowed to speak with her relative over the phone for only one minute. The customs agents asked them to sign a form of consent for the refusal of entry. The form clearly stated that overseas visitors who were refused entry could contact their respective embassies or legal representatives if required. Their requests to do so were, however, refused.

Earlier, the police had threatened to carry them out in big gunnysacks if they did not agree to leave the state immediately. The practitioners smelled a strong odor of anesthetic in the room where they were detained. Workers walking in and out of the room were seen using towels to cover their nose. It was obvious they meant business.

Although the custom officers knew that the practitioners were refused entry because they had been blacklisted as Falun Gong practitioners, none of them wanted to admit this. They pretended that they did not know the reason. When the practitioners pressed for an answer, they quietly nodded their head. Before practitioners left the airport, one officer told them, "We can't help it. We are living in Hong Kong. We do what our superiors tell us. We are now under communist rule. I hope you will forgive us." Another officer was almost in tears, "We don't want to hurt you. There is nothing we can do. If you don't leave, you may get hurt. We are sorry for this." A few officers helped Meng Li (in her 60s) up and asked with concern, "Are you alright? Please be careful." From this experience we found that the people of Hong Kong are kindhearted. It was Jiang Zemin's threats that made them act wrongfully. The behavior of the Hong Kong government in these cases has definitely ruined their international reputation.

Later, under the watchful eyes of approximately thirty officers and some armed police, the practitioners were taken to board the plane. With compassionate hearts, the practitioners told the officials, "Falun Gong has spread in over fifty countries around the world. When you blacklisted Falun Gong practitioners from entering Hong Kong, you have already broken international laws. Aren't you tarnishing the image of Hong Kong in the eyes of the world?" On hearing those words, the officials turned their eyes away from them. Just before boarding the airplane, the practitioners reminded them, "Remember, Falun Dafa is good!" Many officials waved good bye.

As soon as the practitioners boarded the plane, the flight attendants from Qantas Airlines asked with concern, "Are you people alright? Don't pay attention to the foolish acts [of the Hong Kong officials]."