(Clearwisdom.net) On the morning of March 30, 2002, Lan Jian, the associate director of the Political and Security Branch in Hailun City Police Department, together with two policemen from Wenming Police Station, broke into Falun Dafa practitioner Wen Jitao's home. They used summoning him as an excuse and and forcibly took Wen to the police station.

When Wen Jitao questioned the police why they illegally arrested him, Zhao Yunfeng, the Political and Security Branch director in the police department, said, "Why didn't you ask for the police station's permit before you left your home?" Wen replied in a voice full of justice, "Going out is my personal freedom."

After a while a police vehicle dispatched by the Political and Security Branch came. The policemen pushed Wen into the vehicle and took him to the Political and Security Branch to further persecute him. Once he was brought there, the policemen immediately cuffed his hands behind his back and said fiercely, "Let him sit on the tiger bench [The practitioner is forced to sit on a small iron bench that is approximately 20 cm (6 inches) tall. He has to sit straight up with his eyes looking straight ahead. His arms are placed on his knees. He is not allowed to turn his head, close his eyes, talk to anyone, raise his hand, or call out for the attention of the guards. Many inmates are assigned to watch the practitioner. If he turns his head, they would force the practitioner to hold his head in that position indefinitely. If the practitioner raises his hand to call the attention of the guards, they would force him to hold his hands in the air indefinitely. If he speaks, they would force his mouth to remain open indefinitely. Sometimes the practitioner is forced to kneel to the ground. They then would place a wooden bat on this leg and stand on top of the bat to hurt him]". The lawless police, led by Zhao Yunfeng, the director, and both Xiao Ye and Lan Jian (both associate directors of the Political and Security Branch), forcibly cuffed Wen's hands behind his back onto a chair so that Wen could not move at all. One policeman stood behind Wen and fiercely kicked his cuffed hands. Another policeman stood in front of Wen and ferociously kicked Wen's legs, which had been forcibly separated. In the meantime, they interrogated him for the source of the several Falun Gong truth-clarification VCD's which they had found in his home. Wen refused to cooperate with them. These villains punched and kicked him until nightfall but got nothing from him. In the end, they sent the handcuffed Wen to the detention center for illegal detention.

On the morning of April 4, five policemen from the Political and Security Branch, including Zhao Yunfeng and Xiao Ye, went to the detention center to interrogate Wen Jitao. They brought Wen out of the cell, cuffed his hands behind his back, and took him into a room where they forcibly pushed Wen down on the cold floor. The handcuffs cut deeply into his wrists. A policeman whose last name was Liu forcefully bent Wen's hands. Since Wen refused to cooperate with them, Lan Jian said viciously, "Are you thirsty? Let me give you some water to drink." Then he brought half a tub of cold water and poured it onto Wen's nose, mouth, eyes, ears, etc. Wen's whole body was soaked and wet. However, he still did not yield. The policemen could not do anything else but send him back to the cell. Seeing that Wen was tortured so badly, all the inmates in the cell were very indignant.

On the morning of April 5, the policemen from the Political and Security Branch went again to torture Wen Jitao. They first took Wen to a room. Just before they started to torture him, they noticed that people often passed by the room. Being afraid that their evildoings would be exposed, they took Wen to another more secluded room. A policeman with leather boots forcefully stomped Wen's head hard on the floor. After a while, seeing that Wen still refused to cooperate with them, Lan Jian fiercely threatened him, "I'll shoot you to death." After torturing Wen for a quite a while, they could not do anything else but send Wen back to the cell.

On the morning of July 3, Wen and another fellow practitioner, who was also illegally detained for resisting the brainwashing, escaped while working outside the cells by climbing over the high wall and walking through the wire entanglement of the detention center.