Yuko Kaneko is a Japanese Faun Gong practitioner who has been detained in China. If she is not released immediately, she may be transferred to the infamous Wanjia Forced Labor Camp, which is notorious for its murderous treatment of detainees. Here is an update on the progress of her rescue.

1. An Overview of Current Rescue Efforts

May 25, 2002

Three Falun Gong practitioners went to Beijing for a peaceful appeal to stop the persecution against Falun Gong. The two Japanese passport-holders were sent back to Japan the same afternoon. Yuko Kaneko, traveling on a Chinese passport, was detained in police custody.

May 27, 2002

At 10 a.m., Yuko Kaneko's husband, Japanese citizen Atsushi Kaneko, joined two other Falun Gong practitioners to visit the Japanese Foreign Ministry. They asked the Ministry to request that the Chinese government communicate Yuko's current status and quickly arrange her immediate release.

At 4 p.m. a press conference was held in Tokyo where the two released Japanese Falun Gong practitioners, Ayumi Abe and Yoko Horie, recounted their experiences with the Chinese police in Beijing. They also called for rescue efforts for Yuko Kaneko. Approximately seven to eight news media and television networks came to the press conference to record their story.

May 29, 2002

At 9 p.m. Atsushi Kaneko received the following updates from the Japanese Foreign Ministry:

    1. On May 28 and 29, the Japanese Embassy in Beijing tried to inquire at the Chinese police headquarters about Yuko Kaneko. Each time the request was denied.
    2. The Japanese Embassy in Beijing engaged in the process of establishing communications with the Chinese Foreign Ministry.

May 30, 2002

After a visit from the Japanese Ambassador in Beijing, the Chinese Foreign Ministry promised to contact the Japanese Embassy once they verified whether the Chinese police had truly detained Yuko Kaneko.

June 13, 2002

According to an update from the Japanese Foreign Ministry, the Japanese Embassy in Beijing received a fax notice from the Chinese Foreign Ministry that the Chinese police had detained Yuko Kaneko for criminal charges.

2. Ongoing Rescue Efforts for Yuko Kaneko

    1. Collecting signatures from Japanese congressmen, senators, and literary figures "requesting the Japanese government to rescue Yuko Kaneko."
    2. Collecting signatures from Japanese citizens throughout Japan "requesting the Japanese government to rescue Yuko Kaneko."
    3. Holding press conferences in major cities throughout Japan. On May 31, a press conference was held in Yuko Kaneko's town of Niigata. On June 13, another press conference was held in Oosaka.