Lui Pak FungLui Pak Fung and her two daughters

Lui Pak Fung, a Hong Kong Falun Gong practitioner, was suddenly taken away from her family by the local police when she and her family were visiting relatives in her hometown during the Lunar New Year holiday. She is now under house arrest and forced to attend a brainwashing class. As Ms Lui is in a difficult situation, her husband, accompanied by local Falun Gong practitioners, went to the SAR Government for assistance, hoping that his wife would be released promptly so the family can be reunited.

Lui Pak Fung is a 31-year-old housewife. She and the rest of her family (her husband and two daughters) were returning to Guangxi Province to visit relatives on February 7, 2002 on Feb. 14, the third day of the Lunar New Year, when they were stopped by police officers while they were in a taxi in Liuzhou on their way to the airport to catch a flight to Fujian. Lui Pak Fung and her younger sister (a non-practitioner) were put in two separate cars. Lui's husband, O Man Tsan, their two daughters and Lui's mother (a Falun Gong practitioner) were taken away in a third car. All of them were taken back to Liuzhou Public Security Bureau.

At the Public Security Bureau, everyone was interrogated separately. According to Mr. O, the questions asked were all very simple, such as the family situation, his occupation and occupation of his family members. Mr. O, his two daughters and Lui's sister were released after 5 to 6 hours. Lui's mother was not released until Feb. 25. Because she is a Falun Gong practitioner, she needed to be bailed out while awaiting trial. Lui was subsequently released the following day. She is out on bail awaiting trial at her mother's residence, and is under constant police surveillance. Every day since her release, the police have been taking Lui to a certain place and forcing her to watch brainwashing videos.

Mr. O stayed in China until Feb 21, at which time he returned to Hong Kong with their elder daughter. He had been unsuccessful in his attempts to contact the police officers involved. Even the day before he left for Hong Kong, his request to see his wife prior to his departure was rejected.

The day after he returned to Hong Kong, Mr. O visited the Immigration Department for assistance. He was advised to write to the Secretary for Security, the Chief Secretary for Administration and the Hong Kong SAR Office in Beijing. In the meantime, the Immigration Department forwarded his letter to the Public Security Bureau in Mainland China. Also, Mr. O telephoned the Office of Tung Chee-hwa. According to Mr. O, the reply was that the Chief Executive was unable to help and advised him to hire a lawyer in China.

On March 4, Mr. O received a phone call from the Mainland Public Security Bureau, notifying him that Lui had been released and was now on bail awaiting trial. On March 6, Mr. O received another call from the Public Security Bureau warning him not to tell "nonsense" to the public.

According to Mr. O, because he is unable to take care of his two daughters by himself, their younger daughter is now still with the grandmother in China. As recently as two days ago, their younger daughter was hospitalized for tracheitis, and he finds it very difficult to care for the older daughter in Hong Kong by himself. He goes to work in the evenings, and during the day, he has to care for the daughter and do housework. He has slept less than 10 hours in total over the last three days. Mr. O said that he would do his best to hold out until this ordeal is over, but honestly doesn't know how long he can do this. He hopes that the media and people can give him a helping hand so Lui Pak Fung can return to Hong Kong and the family can be reunited.

On the afternoon of March 7, accompanied by local Falun Gong practitioners, Mr O and his elder daughter, O Ting Ting, submitted a letter to the Office of the Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa. Prior to this, Mr O accepted media interviews in the Chater Gardens. He hoped that the media as well as all kind-hearted people would extend their help so his wife can come home soon. The seven-year-old Ting Ting misses her mother. She showed reporters a letter she wrote to her mother the night before.

O Man Tsan married Lui Pak Fung in June 1991 in China. Lui came to Hong Kong with a one-way permit in 1996. They now have two daughters. Their older daughter, O Ting Ting is 7 years old, and their younger daughter, O Mei Yu, is not yet one year old.

On the question of Mainland China's Public Security Bureau's unlawful detention of Ms Lui Pak Fung, Hong Kong practitioners point out that the Jiang Regime has not only stripped the freedoms of conscience, of expression and assembly that are guaranteed by the Constitution away from the Chinese people, but also has extended its heavy-handed, terrorist measures to overseas people visiting China. The situation that Ms Lui is in is very worrisome. We hope that the Hong Kong SAR government, people from all walks of Hong Kong society, and even international organizations, media and governments around the world can help this family so that they can be reunited as quickly as possible. We also hope that all kind-hearted people around the world can help end the brutal persecution in Mainland China.

Lui Pak Fung is the second Hong Kong Falun Gong practitioner still detained in Mainland China. Chu O-ming was arrested on September 7, 2000 by the police in Beijing due to a lawful attempt to file a lawsuit against Jiang's Group for the crimes they have committed persecuting Falun Gong practitioners.