February 26, 2002


Sui Cun, female, 44, is from Heijinhe Township, Tangyuan County, Heilongjiang Province. At about 6 p.m. on January 14, 2001, eight people from the local police station and the "610 Office" [a bureau specifically created by the Chinese government to persecute Falun Gong. It has absolute power over each level of administration in the Party, as well as over the political and judiciary branches] broke into her house and took her to the police department by force.

Head of the police squad, Zhou Tiegang, and head of an office, Deng Jianshu, swore at her and insulted her with profanity. They punched and kicked her, trying to make her tell the source of the truth clarifying literature. She refused, so they sent her to the criminal squad for further interrogation. Director of the police department,Yang, gave orders, "No matter what kinds of torture is used, as long as you make her open her mouth, that's fine. If she should die under the beating, we will say that she committed suicide. Let her shed blood in the criminal squad."

Policeman, Ren Changjun, used an electric baton on her head and body countless times. Chief of the squad, Lin Fengqiu, was so exhausted in beating her that he sent for two strong labor workers in the market to take his place. He paid them 20 Yuan everyday [Yuan, Chinese currency. The average monthly income of an urban worker is 500 Yuan.] to torture her and said, "I don't believe you can't be squashed." The police used both hard and soft tactics and threatened her, "If you don't tell us, we will take your brother's job from him. We will arrest your two sons and beat them up. We will throw your whole family in jail." The police also said, "We are police when we go to the street. But here we are bandits." They deceived her elder son to come to the criminal squad (her younger son wasn't home then.). Yet they didn't allow him to see his mother. On the contrary, they detained him for one day and one night and slapped the 15-year-old boy in the face over 30 times in succession. The boy's face was swollen and deformed with bruises, but he said bravely, "Falun Dafa is good. The reputation of Falun Dafa and the Teacher will be restored sooner or later." The police didn't get what they wanted and had to let the boy go home.

Sui Cun was interrogated at the criminal squad for 5 days and 4 nights. During the day, the police carried out the interrogation using words, but at night they did it by force, beating and torturing her. At the end of each interrogation, they handcuffed her to the heating pipes until she couldn't stand any longer. She was denied sleep during this time and was completely worn out. The police also found ways to insult her by making her play the role of a "doorman." They handcuffed her at the handle of the door so that she had to open the door for every one going through. They even spit her on her face. Deputy Chief Fu Enlin used the soft method, giving her persuasion and promises. Yet no matter what they did, she didn't tell them anything. The police put her in the detention center, not reconciled to failure.

In the cell, she took off her shoes so she could wash her feet in cold water. Her feet were so swollen they became white with many cracks throughout. After dipping her feet in the ice-cold water, she felt sharp pain in her legs and feet. Nine days after the Chinese New Year, the police made the practitioners watch the video of Tiananmen Self-immolation to brainwash them. They also invited a cameraman from the TV station to shoot the scene for propaganda purposes. The practitioners didn't let them do that. So the police interrogated them one by one late at night. The next morning, Sui Cun and other 7 practitioners were sent to Jiamusi City Forced Labor Camp for a one-year term.

On January 17, the Detention Center in Tangyuan County extorted from her a set of baggage worth 200 Yuan. During the period between April and May of 2001, Li Yukui from Heijinhe Police Station extorted 2000 Yuan from Sui Cun's brother.

Li Fengying, female, 38, is an employee in Jiamusi City Meat Factory. In February of 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal against the persecution of Falun Gong. She was then detained for 49 days. To make matters worse, her detainment was extended in October of 2001 for an additional 15 days. She was also extorted money on two occasions, with amounts up to and including 5000 Yuan, by the Dongfeng Police Station. She also had to pay nearly 5000 Yuan for the boarding while detained.

Wu Qilian, female, 41, used to be the employee of Jiamusi City Meat Factory, but is now unemployed. In February of 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal against the persecution of Falun Gong. As she arrived, she was arrested and detained for 15 days. Then, her detention was extended 40 days. During the detention she went on a hunger strike to protest, asking for an unconditional release. The police gave her injections of psychotropic drugs and forced her to maintain a painful position, bending down with head close to the knees and stick the arms backward in the air. They also put shackles, weighing over 50 pounds, on her feet. In addition, she was force-fed until her throat was badly damaged. She couldn't produce a sound for many days and it was so painful that she was unable to go to sleep at night.

Later, the Dongfeng Police Station extorted 3000 Yuan from her and the detention center extorted 500 Yuan as "the boarding fee." Her family spent 3000 Yuan in an effort to help her situation, before she was set free. Because she went to Beijing to appeal, her work unit, the meat factory, suspended her unemployment subsidy for half a year. In June, 2000, her work unit sent her to the Hongxinglong Detention Center for 17 days. There, she underwent a hunger strike, asking for an unconditional release. As she performed the Falun Gong exercises under, police poured cold water on her head and forced her to wear handcuffs and shackles. The detention center extorted 200 Yuan from her family as the boarding fee before setting her free.

Dong Jianli, male, 41 years old, went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in July 1999. The police contacted his work unit and instructed them to take him back. The Suburb Branch of Jiamusi City Police Department then sent him to the City Detention Center. He was detained there for 12 days. Before he was released, the Suburb Police Branch extorted 300 Yuan from him. The Chief of the Politics and Security Team confiscated a pair of glasses (worth over 100 Yuan) from his family.

Sun Gang, male, 35, works in Sanjiang Food Co. of the General Bureau of Agricultural Cultivation. He went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in November 2000 and was detained for three days at the Xiaonanshan Police Station in Beijing. During the detention, he was denied sleep and the use of a bathroom. They forced him to maintain a painful position against a wall and often swore at him and beat him. Later, he was detained at the liaison office of the Bureau of Agricultural Cultivation for two days. Additionally, he was extorted 300 Yuan as the "transportation fee" The people in his work unit were asked to pay the fee for him. After he was taken back to Jiamusi City, the Jiadong Police Branch detained him for 18 days. During the time he was held at the Jiamusi City Detention Center, he went on a hunger strike for 6 days. He was force-fed twice and had 5000 Yuan cash extorted from him.

Zhao Chonghua, male, went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was detained. Song Xianbin from Qianjin Police Station went to Beijing to take back the local practitioners appealing there. He took Zhao back along with others. Wang Lianmin from the Politics and Security Team in Qianjin Police Station went to Zhao's work unit on February 2, 2000 to ask for 3000 Yuan as the "travel fee" for the policemen who went to Beijing. His work unit deducted that amount of money from Zhao's paycheck. He was detained for 80 days. After he was released, he was suspended from work for over three months.

Wang Wenyi, male, 33, works at the hotel of Jiamusi City General Bureau of Agricultural Cultivation. At 3:30 a.m. on July 20, 1999, he was deceived into going to the City Police Department and was detained for 16 hours. At 9 a.m. on July 21, the police took him from a bus station to Qianjin Police Station for interrogation, lasting over 2 hours. On September 25, 1999, he was detained at Jiamusi City Detention Center for as many as 80 days without any proper reason of cause. He had more than 700 Yuan extorted from him as the boarding fee. His family spent thousands of Yuan asking for his release. Qianjin Police Station extorted 5000 Yuan as a guarantee fee (later Wang got back 3000 Yuan). In June 2000, he went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was detained by the Tiananmen Square Police Station at Haidian District Detention Center for 6 days. Later the liaison office of the Bureau of Agricultural Cultivation took him back. They took away all his money. He was brought back to Jiamusi City on June 29 and was detained for 60 days and had over 600 Yuan extorted from him as the boarding fee. His family spent 2000 Yuan in an effort to bail him out. In December 2000, Fendou Police Station in Qianjin District illegally searched his house. He himself was taken to the police station and was later let go. He was suspected of having contact with other practitioners and was taken to the City Police Department in January 2001 for an interrogation. This interrogation lasted over 6 hours. He was allowed to return home at 7:30 p.m., but was asked to go to the police station the next day. He didn't go, so for an entire day, the police searched for him everywhere. He was forced to leave home and traveled about for several months. On July 19, 2001, Fendou Police Station went to search his home at 11 p.m. and took him to the police station for interrogation. On January 21, 2002, three policemen from Qianjin Police Station searched his home again. Thus, he was forced to leave home again and traveled about in search of a place to stay.

Liang Chunmei, female, 61, is from Yonghong District of Jiamusi City.

Because she clarified the truth at a picture display held in Jiamusi City that smeared Falun Dafa, she was arrested and detained for 11 days. Guo Weishan from Yonghong Police Station extorted 500 Yuan from her son before releasing her. On December 18, 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, but was arrested on the train and sent to Jiamusi City Detention Center. She was held there for 7 days. The City Police Department extorted 500 Yuan from her on December 25, and Shi Xiuwen from Yonghong Police Station extorted 500 Yuan from her before she was finally allowed to go home.

Xu Mingde, male, 63, is from Yonghong District of Jiamusi City. On December 7, 2000, he was detained for 13 days because he clarified the truth of Falun Gong. The Party Secretary Shi in his work unit, the lumber factory, extorted 3000 Yuan from him. On the morning before the Chinese New Year of 2001, the lumber factory forced him to attend a brainwashing class. Xu Mingde has been forced to leave home and is now homeless.