A Statement from the Falun Dafa Association of Korea to the News Media
(Clearwisdom.net) This statement was published on page 12 of a Korean newspaper on January 4, 2002.
Our Position on Some Domestic Media Reports about Falun Gong
1. For the past several years, we have been enduring the biased reports on Falun Gong made by the news media while continuing to request fairness. However, some news media have ignored both the support that Falun Gong has received from many governments and people from around the world, as well as the fact that conscientious news media and journalists in our country have reported on Falun Gong objectively. They simply would not report the fact that Falun Gong is welcomed in many countries around the world with the exception of China, and they insist on publishing biased reports, which is a shame.
2. We declare that we will no longer tolerate any kind of fact-twisting reports intended to harm Falun Gong's reputation, nor will we allow biased reports to continue to run rampant. We have the right to protect our legitimate cultivation practice. Therefore, if fact-twisting reports regarding Falun Gong that infringe upon and damage our reputation appear again, we will take all possible legal action according to the laws of our country. The instigators will bear all responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
3. We believe that the domestic news media have directly quoted from the propaganda against Falun Gong generated by the Chinese government when reporting on Falun Gong. This behavior itself is against the ethics of journalism. It is using others' words to damage our reputation. We believe that only by publishing reports by news media from around the world, as well as reports from the perspective and position of Falun Gong itself at the same time, can it be called a fair report. Members of the media should adhere to the ethics of their profession and provide objective reporting.
4. News media are like a tour guide of history, and history does not form a conclusion on something while it's still in the process of occurring. From the persecution of Christians by the ancient Roman empire, to the "burning of books and burying Confucian scholars alive" of the Qin Dynasty and the Cultural Revolution in China, to the suppression of democratic movements during the period of military dictatorship in our country; be it in the East or the West, in the past or in the present, those who were responsible for the persecution went down in history with infamy. We want to ask, how will these reporters and journalists who insist on producing biased reports face history and the public, should Falun Gong be redressed in China within the next few years?
5. Falun Gong (Falun Dafa) is a cultivation practice of both mind and body based on the cultivation of "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance." After Falun Gong was first made public by its founder, Mr. Li Hongzhi, on May 13, 1992, in China, it has spread to more than 50 countries around the world and has enabled more than one hundred million practitioners to become healthy and kind-hearted individuals of high morality. Up until now, Falun Gong has received more than 600 awards and letters of recognition from governments and organizations around the world. Also, over 300 cities around the world including New York, Washington DC and Toronto are promoting Falun Gong. Because of Falun Gong's outstanding contribution to improving people's health and morality, its founder, Mr. Li Hongzhi was nominated for the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize.
Falun Gong doesn't charge its students any fees. It doesn't have any rules or regulations, nor does it have any political motives or material pursuit. Falun Gong teaches people to be good and helps them to achieve health. Falun Gong has had an abundance of positive effects on people and society in general. This fact is irrefutable and has been realized by many people.
6. Here, we want to express our sincere thanks to the news media and journalists who have justly reported on Falun Gong. We will hold no prejudice against any news media and have no reason to hold a grudge against anyone.
Again, we want to clarify that the spreading of Falun Gong can only have a positive influence on the prosperity of a nation and her people, the health and moral improvement of individuals and on the stability and harmony of families. Therefore, we sincerely request attention and support from the domestic news media.
We sincerely wish all newspapers, TV stations and radio stations great success!
The Falun Dafa Association of Korea January 4, 2002