Latest News from China - 12/23/2001
1. [Lanzhou, Gansu Province] One Hunger-striking Practitioner Is Dying and Another Has Been Tortured to Death at Dashaping Labor Camp Hospital
On December 20, at Dashaping Labor Camp Hospital, Lanzhou, Gansu Province, a practitioner with the surname Wan was tortured to death after being on a hunger strike for twelve days. Details are unknown.
Currently six practitioners are being held at Dashaping Hospital. Yu Jinfang, female, arrested on November 11, has been on a hunger strike for over a month now. Her stomach was punctured when she was force-fed, and according to the doctor, and she cannot be force-fed anymore. She is in critical condition. Also in critical condition is practitioner Wang Youjiang, a lieutenant commander, who has been on a hunger strike for over two months to protest his persecution and illegal imprisonment.
2. [Beijing] Wife of China's Ex-ambassador to Romania Abused by the Police
Zhang Yijie, female, practitioner from Beijing, a high ranking official in the Ministry of Economics and Trade and wife of China's ex-ambassador to Romania, was singled out by Li Lanqing and taken to brainwashing classes at Xinan Forced Labor Camp around the Chinese New Year, 2001. She maintained her righteous beliefs in Falun Dafa. In the summer, she was again singled out by Li Lanqing and held in Xi'an Forced Labor Camp. For the past few months, authorized by Captain Jiao Xueguang, Zhang Yijie was subject to all kinds of abuse: she was beaten, yelled at, suffered corporal punishment, shocked with electric batons, and deprived of sleep by drug addicts and former practitioners who have been brainwashed. However, all this could not crush her spirit. She is currently held in a single cell and is suffering physically and mentally.
We are appealing for support from the international community to rescue her.
3. [Mainland China] A Policeman Shouts at a Non-practitioner: "Aren't you promoting Falun Dafa?"
In one of the truth-clarifying materials there was a story about an elderly man who had problems with his lumbar vertebrae. One day, he went out with his son to see the doctor when he saw a Falun Dafa banner fall on the ground. The elderly man said to his son: "What a shame! Son, hang it back up." The son picked up the banner and hung it up. When he turned around to carry his father, he found that his father was able to stand upright. He did not seem to have any problems with his back and therefore they did not go to the hospital.
A woman read the story and decided to try it herself. Whenever she saw Falun Dafa materials that were not properly posted, she would fix them; when she saw flyers on the ground, she would pick them up. One day when she was doing just that, she was caught by a policeman who insisted that she was a Falun Gong practitioner and dragged to the local police station. Three people dragged her until the soles fell off her shoes. At the police station, when she was asked why she was pinning up a poster, she told the policemen the story about the old man. Upon hearing this, the policeman yelled at her: "Aren't you promoting Falun Dafa?" As a result, she was detained for fifteen days. At the detention center, she learned more about Falun Dafa and came to understand it much better. She is now a practitioner.
4. [Mainland China] Guard of a Detention Center: "Jiang Zemin Will Lose to Falun Gong; It Looks like Falun Gong Will Win Soon."
Two weeks ago, six practitioners from a city in Northern China successfully went to Tiananmen, Beijing to rectify Falun Dafa before they went on to a rural area to clarify the truth and distribute Falun Dafa materials. Unfortunately, someone revealed their whereabouts and all six were arrested and detained. They went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution until they were released a few days ago--as arranged by Master Li. A guard said to the practitioners when they were being released: "Jiang Zemin will lose to Falun Gong. It looks like Falun Gong will win soon."
5. [Qiqihaer, Heilongjiang Province] A Practitioner Jumps from a Highrise to Escape the Police and Was Seriously Injured
According to relatives, practitioner Li Chunhua was sent to a labor camp for one year. Li's term was extended by another eight months before he/she was finally released. On October 22, 2001, Li was home alone when seven policemen went to his/her place without a search warrant. They used a passkey and a screwdriver to force the door open, breaking the door and yelling at the same time. The neighbors were startled. Not wanting to be arrested, the practitioner climbed down an outside drainpipe to the fourth floor and jumped to the ground from there. Li was seriously injured; however, the police continued in their pursuit. The practitioner was forced to leave home and live on the streets while recuperating from his/her injuries.
6. [Hubei Province] Hubei Steels Group Co.'s Attempt to Defame Falun Gong Fails
Li Yimei, female, a retired worker from Hubei Steels Group Cooperative, decided to give up practicing Falun Gong because she was scared off by the slanderous lies in the government propaganda. Shortly thereafter, she fell ill and soon died. The police near her company said to her husband: "We wanted to talk to you about something. If you are willing to be on TV and say that your wife died because she did not take medication, you will be given enough money to cover the funeral expenses." But the husband said: "I cannot take this money. This is against my conscience."
7. [Beijing] Lin Chengtao, Assistant Professor of China Xiehe Medical University, is Jailed in Tuanhe Labor Camp
Lin Chengtao, male, an assistant professor at the Institute of Fundamental Medicine, China Xiehe Medical University, is a Falun Gong practitioner. Between May and September 2001, he had posted articles with his name on the Clearwisdom website to appeal to the public to save his wife, Zhang Xiaojie, a music teacher at the No. 2 High School in Beijing, from the Xin'an Labor Camp. Zhang was arrested and sentenced just because she persisted in practicing Falun Gong. In his articles, Lin described how he, a young intellectual, was persecuted for practicing Falun Gong and how his family was torn apart as a result. After the articles were posted, he simply disappeared, and nobody knew his whereabouts. However, recently it was reported that he was illegally sentenced to 18 months of "labor re-education" and locked in Beijing Tuanhe Forced Labor Camp.
8. [Northwestern China] Practitioners Hold a Successful Falun Dafa Conference
Between December 15 -- 16, a city in northwestern China successfully held a Falun Dafa Conference--the first since July 20, 1999. The meeting started with silence for those practitioners who have died from the persecution. Attendees studied Master Li's new articles, shared their experiences in cultivation, and encouraged each other to steadfastly accomplish their last stage of cultivation. They also studied and discussed the articles by the editorial board of the Clearwisdom website about how to send forth righteous thoughts, eliminate evil, and clarify the truth about Falun Gong to the public. Then practitioners exchanged their experiences of how to use limited time more efficiently to clarify the truth to more people. Finally they practiced the Falun Gong exercises and sent forth righteous thoughts together. The whole meeting was well arranged and went smoothly. The meeting really encouraged all participating practitioners, and they immediately passed the meeting's messages to those practitioners who could not be present for various reasons.
9. [Northeastern China] More Than 100 Practitioners Attend a Falun Gong Conference in a City
On December 15, 2001, a local Falun Gong experience-sharing conference was successfully held in a city in northeastern China. More than 100 practitioners from different districts gave presentations at the meeting and shared their cultivation experiences, which encouraged each other to improve their cultivation in this special, Fa-rectification period. The conference achieved success beyond expectation.
During the meeting, there was a lot of interference, especially at the beginning. For example, when the person in charge of the rented meeting site discovered the purpose of the meeting, he came and knocked at the door angrily, and even threatened that he would report it to the police. The conference staff practitioners sent forth righteous thoughts to eliminate the evil behind him, patiently told him the truth about Falun Gong, and kindly invited him to join the meeting. Although he did not participate in the meeting, he changed his bad attitude, and even actively started to try to understand the truth. The meeting lasted four hours and adjourned successfully.
10. [Mainland China] Police Spies Pretend To Be Homeless Practitioners
Recently, in order to destroy Falun Dafa internally, police spies in some regions in China have pretended to be Falun Gong practitioners from other regions who had to leave home to avoid being arrested. They have good computer skills, laptops, cellular phones, and cassette recorders (for recording practitioners' conversations as evidence). To make local practitioners trust them, they frequently show the newest online materials or VCDs about Falun Gong. In this way, they have contacted more and more practitioners. They have been collecting money from practitioners to buy copiers or set up websites, and even organize Falun Gong meetings so they can call the police to arrest practitioners. In this way, they have caused a lot of damage to Falun Gong.
11. [Heilongjiang Province] Female Practitioner Shi Shuhua Unlawfully Sentenced for Making a Legal Appeal
For going to Beijing's Tiananmen Square to appeal for Falun Gong, female Dafa practitioner Shi Shuhua was arrested by plain-clothes policemen and locked in a cage, and later sent to Changxindian police station, Fengtai District, Beijing. At the police station, Shi suffered various kinds of mistreatment and torture. When the policemen's arms grew tired of pummeling her, they switched to using high-voltage electronic batons to shock her, which caused her hands and neck to swell up and left seven to eight bruises on her hands, egg-sized bruises on her neck, and food-plate sized bruises on her thighs. Later, she was escorted back to the Xincun Anmin police station, Daqing City, where she was beaten brutally by policemen Sun Guofu and Lu Mo. Now, Shi has again been sentenced to forced labor "re-education," and is locked in a drug-rehabilitation center in Heilongjiang Province.
12. [Zhuanghe City, Liaoning Province] Police Torture Practitioners Zhuanghe City Detention Center
Female practitioner Xie Guihua was arrested on August 1, 2001. By late August, she experienced vomiting, high fever, and heart pain. Through laboratory tests, she was diagnosed with serious hepatitis. Doctors reported that it was contagious and that she needed to be treated immediately. The police did not release her, but locked her in a cell with a female inmate who had contagious syphilis in the late phase. That inmate intentionally cried and yelled, disturbing her rest. On the other hand, officers increased her labor load so that she has to work 12 hours per day. For each meal she was given only a little corn bread and a bowl of clear soup with several pieces of vegetables. With that little amount of food, she was hungry most of the time. She asked several times to be released, but the police told her that she would not be released until she wrote a "guarantee" to give up the practice. She said, "Falun Dafa has taught us to be kinder and to be good people. I would not forsake Teacher Li and this precious Dafa." She tried to tell the officers the truth about Falun Gong and that evil will meet with retribution. Instead of listening to her kind reminders, police-doctor Lin Jiquan instructed 3-4 criminal inmates to hold Xie on the floor. Then Lin grabbed her hair and injected some medicine into her to make her lose consciousness. Now, due to the police's cruel persecution, her health has deteriorated severely.
Female practitioner Li Yuqin was on a hunger strike to protest her illegal detention. For this, policeman Lin Jiequan instructed inmates to force-feed her. The feeding was too terrifying to watch.
Another female practitioner, Li Hongmei, did not comply with the illegal detention and refused to wear the prison uniform. For this, she was beaten up severely, and her whole body was covered with bruises. In addition, she was put in a pair of heavy shackles.
Liu Xiuchun, an elderly lady in her 60's, was locked in jail because she went to Beijing to appeal. In jail she was treated so harshly that she could not get up and now is suffering from a high fever. Her health is deteriorating rapidly, and she has blood in her urine. She even is developing hypertension and heart disease. Even under such terrible conditions, her jailors still demand that her family pay 6,000 yuan for her and force her to write a "guarantee" to give up practicing Falun Gong; otherwise, they will not release her. When Liu refused to comply with these illegal arrangements, officers ordered some criminal inmates to hold her body on the floor and step on her as they force-fed and injected medicine into her. Now, Liu's health is in a critical state, and she could die at any minute. However, the wicked officer Lin Jiequan shouted, "It is nothing to kill a Falun Gong practitioner, since we count it as suicide!"
At present, more than 10 Dafa practitioners are locked in the Zhuanghe Jail. All of them have suffered various kinds of torture.
13. [Haikou City, Hainan Province] Dafa Practitioner Wang Xin Is Tortured in Xiuying First Detention Center
Wang Xin, female, was kidnapped by the police in June of 2001 and was tortured at the Xiuying First Detention Center. She resisted with a righteous mind and didn't reveal anything to the police. Later, she was badly injured from police torture, which made her unable to eat, and made her completely incontinent. She was in this condition for a total of 22 days. In October of 2001, someone reported her, and she was interrogated by the police. Wang refused to cooperate with them, so they beat her until she began to spit blood. Wang Xin, who is in poor physical condition, has been detained for nearly half a year. The police ruined her health by torturing her, but her belief in Falun Dafa remains unshakable.
14. [Hefei City, Anhui Province] Yu Jun, a Student from Hefei Institute of Construction, Is Unlawfully Sentenced
Yu Jun was detained in Hefei Detention Center on January 5, 2001. On October 31, 2001, he was sentenced to four years in prison.
15. [Mainland China] Innocent People Are Forced to Be Involved in the Persecution Through Military Enlistment Procedures
There is a female Dafa practitioner who has a boyfriend with a son from a previous marriage. When her boyfriend's son wanted to serve in the army, he had some difficulty doing so because authorities knew his father's girlfriend is a Falun Gong practitioner. Due to the pressure from the government, the boyfriend wrote a pledge behind his girlfriend's back, saying that he would permanently break-up with her. Thus, his son was accepted into the military.
Another female practitioner's husband has a relative whose son was denied entry into the military because of his distant relation to the female practitioner. After a lot of effort and the female practitioner's divorce due to pressure, the local police reluctantly agreed not to fill in the form saying that his relative practices Falun Gong. The family had to pay about 20,000 Yuan, and didn't dare tell anyone about this matter for fear that the enrolled son would be expelled from the military.
[Note: In China, because people's legal residency is in their hometown, and this has legal implications, peasants from the countryside are usually not legally permitted to live or work in cities. Enrolling in a university or the military is almost the only way peasant children can escape from the difficult country life and make more money.]
16. [Hainan Province] Persecution of Dafa Practitioners in Hainan Province
1. Dafa practitioners Wu Minglei (male) and Wu Jie (female) are brother and sister, and they were arrested on the night of November 25, 2001. There has been no news about them for more than half a month. The police do not allow visitors to see them, nor do they allow the family to send them clothes. Wu Minglei works in the Planning Bureau of Haikou Tax Retention District. He is a mainstay of his unit and has a very good relationship with his colleagues. Wu Jie was a student at Chongqing University. She was expelled from the university because she went to Beijing to appeal for Dafa many times, and has an unshakable belief in Dafa.
2. Chen Yongjian, a Dafa practitioner in Wuzhishan City, was beaten by members of the Haikou 6-10 Office to the point where his entire body was swollen and distorted. The members of the 6-10 Office are extremely cruel! [The 6-10 office is a bureau specifically created by the Chinese government to persecute Falun Gong. It has absolute power over each level of administration in the Party, as well as over the political and judiciary branches]
3. Police illegally detained one couple, both Falun Gong practitioners, leaving their one-year-old baby without anyone to care for him. The Wuzhishan Public Security Bureau forced the couple's work unit to take care of the baby, so the leader of the couple's work unit had to ask the other employees to take turns taking care of the baby. Since the baby kept crying for his mother, the employees returned the baby to the Public Security Bureau. The Public Security Bureau then dropped the baby off at one of the couple's relatives', whether they wanted the baby or not. One of the relatives, Liu Qihua, is also a Falun Gong practitioner. She was illegally sentenced to two years in labor camp, and is currently being detained just outside of Qiongshan City. The male relative, her husband, makes a living by transporting people on his motorbike. With the two children he already had, life has been hard for him, but now with a third one, he cannot go to work, so how will he survive?
17. [Hainan Province] Beware of an Informant Infiltrating Dafa Practitioners
On September 14, 2001, because they were reported by an informant, many Dafa practitioners in Hainan Province were arrested and severely tortured. To protect Dafa and practitioners, we expose the informant here: Shang Yong (male), nicknamed Yasan, from Fushun City, Liaoning province, 1.68 meters (about 5'2") tall, thin, with a pointed chin. He is a self-proclaimed judge at the city level with a wife who is an amateur writer. He took advantage of Dafa practitioners' kindness and cheated them out of money and property, and caused dozens of practitioners to be arrested and tortured.
18. [Shenyang City, Liaoning Province] Dafa Practitioners Are Cruelly Tortured
1. Shenyang City Dafa practitioner, Bai Xiujuan (female, in her thirties), Li Yuan (alias, female), and a female student from Northeast University have been detained in the Shenyang City Detention Center. In October of 2001, they went on a hunger strike and refused to wear prisoners' clothes to show resistance to the illegal detention. One female guard with a surname of Liu incited two female non-practitioner prisoners, Sun Jiao (female) and Zhu Dandan, to beat up the practitioners. They ripped clumps of Bai Xiujuan's hair out, and kicked Bai's chest, face and back. Li Yuan and the student tried to stop them from beating her, and were thus beaten in the same way.
2. Shenyang City Dafa practitioner, Shi Yanzhu, male, in his 30s or 40s, was arrested in late May of 2001 while distributing Dafa truth-clarifying materials. That day in Nanta Police Station, Dadong District, a police officer interrogated and tortured him. The police officer stripped Shi from the waist up, then used a wooden pole to forcefully strike Shi's ankles, knees, toes, head, and back until Shi's joints swelled and turned dark blue. Shi had numerous welts on his head and back. The Policeman also handcuffed Shi's hands behind his back, and the handcuffs cut deeply into Shi's wrists until it cut off circulation to his hands.
19. [Hainan Province] Denouncing the Savage Behavior of the Police at Hainan Female Detention Center
Hainan Female Detention Center is located just outside of Qiongshan City, Hainan Province. Currently there are more than a hundred female Dafa practitioners detained there, some for the second time. Since the latter half of 2001, the center has used cruel methods to harm the Dafa practitioners. If someone is found practicing Falun Gong even once, her term is extended 10 days. The guards there have subtly encouraged non-practitioner drug addict detainees to monitor and beat Dafa practitioners. They have not only hit the practitioners' heads, but have also shamelessly beat the practitioners' genital areas. Because of this, practitioners united to refuse to wear the prison clothes or do any prison labor, declaring: "Practitioners are not prisoners, we should be released." But the guards refuse to release them.